Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica/Sinar will focus on the pro at Photokina  (Read 6230 times)

Theodoros

Leica/Sinar will focus on the pro at Photokina
« on: August 07, 2016, 07:18:14 am »

This is not a rumor, it is Leica's official announcement on their web page... https://us.leica-camera.com/Company/Press-Centre/Press-Releases/Press-Releases-2016/Press-Release-Leica-at-photokina-2016

By pro products they consider all Sinar & Leica S & SL series (as they state in the link above).

My first bet would go for a Sinar camera dedicated for one to use with the SL mirrorless, but I'm sure there is much more to be expected as Leica is traditionally looking at Photokina as being their major homeground (it being in Germany)... One has to remember that they released some 14 new products back in Photokina 2014, but this time it looks really exiting as they promise to "focus on the pro market"...  Your guess/suggestions?  Perhaps a new series of (multishot) MFDBs from Sinar based on Leica's Cmos MF sensor? This would make a lot of sense....

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Leica/Sinar will focus on the pro at Photokina
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 09:03:46 am »

My guess would be a T/S lens for the S, a roadmap for SL lenses.

Cheers,
Bernard

tjv

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 04:13:55 pm »

Perhaps then they'll announce a new service centre that actually repairs things sent to them? Wait times for repairs less than six months? Seriously.

I almost bought a S, but after one too many bad service experiences with M gear, focus motor blowout reports and other reports of crap service, I moved on.

henrikfoto

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 06:40:38 pm »

They must have some big plans for Sinar or they
can just as well shut it down.
Follow Sinars reseller links and see how many of
them are active. Very few have even listed any
Sinar products. If something is ordered
you will wait mounths just for a small part
or a lens. It's now or never..

My guess is a 100mp cmos back with
screen and multishot. That would get them out
of the studio for the first time many years and
they could attract a broader audience.

Figolux

• Figolux Limited
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 04:32:52 am »

They must have some big plans for Sinar or they can just as well shut it down. Follow Sinars reseller links and see how many of them are active. Very few have even listed any Sinar products. If something is ordered you will wait mounths just for a small part or a lens. It's now or never..

On a positive note, here in England image2output offer fantastic knowledge and support along with rapid turn around times for repairs/servicing/supply of all parts for our Sinar P3 system.

I would love to see a new Sinar Hy6 type camera - this would give us the opportunity to work both with a fixed P3 and handheld during the same shoot, without the hassle of matching colour between Sinar and other manufacturers systems.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 05:00:02 am by Figolux »

Theodoros

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 10:40:49 am »

On a positive note, here in England image2output offer fantastic knowledge and support along with rapid turn around times for repairs/servicing/supply of all parts for our Sinar P3 system.

It differs from one place to another depending on the interest of service technicians to specialize with a certain maker or work independent... Certainly the best of technicians avoid to be certified by one maker only as the demands of makers as to get the authorization is with all makers insane... Certainly Leica is no worst than the rest of the makers in this respect...

I would love to see a new Sinar Hy6 type camera - this would give us the opportunity to work both with a fixed P3 and handheld during the same shoot, without the hassle of matching colour between Sinar and other manufacturers systems.

My guess is that this won't happen... Leica S works with the same software and calibration method as Sinarbacks do and thus they do have a solution for the requirement you set... What would make sense though, is for them to have the sensors replaced on their Sinarbacks as to be of the same origin as the Leica S 007 sensor, as it would both improve compatibility further and would improve company image as to be one of using "exclusive to the maker" sensors...

IMO, Leica aims to have the "digital part" (sensors, software, interface) under the Leica name and then the mechanical part for "special pro applications" to Sinar...  IMO, the SL is mainly aimed to replace Sinarbacks on the rear standards of Sinars and then link the Sinar system to the Leica S one... I won't be surprised at all if Leica will have a multishot version of the SL released sometime in the near future either...
Thus, my first bet as far as Sinar products are concerned, would go for a dedicated Tech camera as to take full advantage of SL used instead of an MFDB on the rear standard of a view camera... (perhaps with Leica S lenses on the front standard's lens board?)

ynp

• http://
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 04:54:54 pm »

It differs from one place to another depending on the interest of service technicians to specialize with a certain maker or work independent... Certainly the best of technicians avoid to be certified by one maker only as the demands of makers as to get the authorization is with all makers insane... Certainly Leica is no worst than the rest of the makers in this respect...

My guess is that this won't happen... Leica S works with the same software and calibration method as Sinarbacks do and thus they do have a solution for the requirement you set... What would make sense though, is for them to have the sensors replaced on their Sinarbacks as to be of the same origin as the Leica S 007 sensor, as it would both improve compatibility further and would improve company image as to be one of using "exclusive to the maker" sensors...

Theodoros, I was unsuccessful in my attempt to use the Sinar Captureflow software with my Leica S2. You might know a trick to make it work together.

In ideal work, and I am shooting Turkmenian Tekhe rugs with very difficult dark reds next week, I would prefer to tether my S2 to Captureflow and have corrected colors. I envision fighting with Reds and Browns because a calibrated S2 is less capable solution than the old 54H was even with CaptureShop. After my Sinar was stolen, I try to do the work with the gear I have. Leica 007 is even worth in color interpretation than the S2, purple and blue are problematic even after the calibration.
Leica S deserve its own proper software to produce good colors. Hasselblad has its Phokus for that. No, I'm not against LightRoom, it's ok for general photography.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 04:59:23 pm by ynp »

Theodoros

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 05:05:56 pm »

Theodoros, I was unsuccessful in my attempt to use the Sinar Captureflow software with my Leica S2. You might know a trick to make it work together.

Hi Yevgeny... Although I don't have an S or have any experience with one, I think what one should do is the same as with older Emotion backs... He should download the files creating an envelope for them in his desktop and then open Captureflow and as the files will be recognised (but with "strange" color), to "grab" them in the software and through them back to the same envelop as it appears on his upper left corner of Captureflow... They should then "unlock" and work... have you tried that? 

ynp

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 08:17:26 pm »

No. Did not try. Thank you for the advice.

Theodoros

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 07:58:17 am »

No. Did not try. Thank you for the advice.

I've find this http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2016/04/how-to-set-up-tethered-shooting-between-the-leica-s-typ-007-and-capture-one-pro/ 

It seems to me that tethered shooting is only only available with Leica S versions that can provide LV... this would make sense.... There is definitely support for one to develop the files out of all versions in Captureflow though...

ynp

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 07:59:29 am »

I've find this http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2016/04/how-to-set-up-tethered-shooting-between-the-leica-s-typ-007-and-capture-one-pro/ 

It seems to me that tethered shooting is only only available with Leica S versions that can provide LV... this would make sense.... There is definitely support for one to develop the files out of all versions in Captureflow though...
Thanks for the link!

Leica has a new software and I can reliably tether my S2 to LR again.

Theodoros

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 08:16:59 am »

Thanks for the link!

Leica has a new software and I can reliably tether my S2 to LR again.

Do you mean tethering with LV ability Evgeny? ...or is it just tethering for viewing the captured file?

ynp

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 08:20:16 am »

No, Theodoros. It's a regular tethering through a new version of Leica Image Shuttle , they also added the tethering for the SL.
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2016/07/leica-image-shuttle-v-3-4/

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 08:23:41 am by ynp »

Theodoros

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 04:35:33 pm »

Tethered for the SL eeeeh? ...I was expecting this to be announced in Photokina... I'm sure Tethering in LV mode and LV support with Captureshop as well as colour calibration for the SL will certainly be announced in Photokina... I'm sure Leica's main aim of the SL is that it will play the part of image area for Sinar tech cameras... Lets not forget that Captureflow is directly linked with LR for its DNG files... Most of the parameters applied on Captureflow, are - if the file is exported in DNG form - then stored and recognized directly from LR...

JV

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 06:06:07 pm »

Tethered for the SL eeeeh? ...I was expecting this to be announced in Photokina...

I don't think that Leica would dare to announce this at Photokina... 

This was promised for Day 1 and has been in their online documentation (without any reference to a later delivery date) as a feature of the system since Day 1...

They really should be apologizing to their customers as to why it took them 10 months to deliver...

Theodoros

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 04:26:12 am »

Ι think delays has been a common issue between makers these days... This is due to two reasons,
1. The developments with digital technology are rapid and thus a maker prefers to delay a feature as to maximize the performance of the product.
2. An announcement cuts sales from competition and thus the makers are "faster" to make the announcement than they can deliver...

One can't help to notice the delay with the S-007, but also the Canon 1DX respective delay which caused Canon to "miss" the London Olympics...

That said, I'm quite surprised with Arca... They seem to have forgotten their previous Photokina (!!!!) announcements about FP shutters and various other associate equipment altogether... 

JV

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 07:16:13 pm »

Theodoros

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 12:23:38 pm »

A Leica Rumors (Photokina 2016) recap:
http://leicarumors.com/2016/08/23/leica-rumors-recap-photokina-2016.aspx/

this is Leica rumors... what is stated in the OP is (with a link) out of Leica's own page...

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2016, 02:37:35 am »

Figolux - You can use the Sinar backs on the new Hy6 Mod2 bodies so that solution is already out there.

Henrik - I've had to order cables and such items and have gotten them fairly quickly. And I always get a quick and helpful reply from them.   I do hope that grow bigger - their products are excellent.
Rolleiflex USA

Theodoros

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 04:05:32 am »

There are more (official) updates & information on the subject discussed here on a new thread here... http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=113187.0
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up