Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 Questions  (Read 3541 times)

Gabe

2 Questions
« on: June 16, 2006, 03:15:51 pm »

Ok, so I've come up against two fairly large stumbling blocks so far in my attempts to put Lightroom to work for me, and was hoping someone out there might be able to help me out..

First of all, there appears to be a limit on how large an image Lightroom is willing to accept, which I am guessing is 10,000 pixels in any one dimension.. can anyone confirm this, or better yet tell me what the exact maximum pixel dimensions are? I have two images which it simply refuses to import, but all it's telling me is that they are "too large"..

Secondly, how can we convince Adobe to allow us to choose a natural sort-order for numbered lists?

I can understand why the computer thinks "FOLDER2" comes between "FOLDER199" and "FOLDER20", but I've yet to meet a human who enjoys reading a list like that..

Now.. the problem is that after importing my images, I have 411 numbered folders listed under "Shoots" when I should have 412.. so Lightroom isn't happy with one of my folders for some reason, but which one? There is no easy way to scan the list and just pick out the gap, or compare it to what I see in Finder (which does ((at last)) use a natural sort order)..

Can anyone think of an easy way to determine which folder is missing without having to painstakingly scroll up and down the entire list counting them until I find it? Is there a computer program that can do this for me  

Actually, I'm hoping I'm just missing something really obvious (although I notice that Photoshop pulls the same crap in FileBrowser, so I'm not optimistic..).

I've tried adding leading zeroes, but Adobe has "helpfully" taught the computer to ignore those.    I've also tried just re-importing the whole mess in the hopes that the missing folder would magically appear, but it didn't.

Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 03:16:22 pm by Gabe »

Gabe

2 Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 01:52:19 pm »

First of all, there appears to be a limit on how large an image Lightroom is willing to accept, which I am guessing is 10,000 pixels in any one dimension.. can anyone confirm this, or better yet tell me what the exact maximum pixel dimensions are?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68332\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So here's at least one answer for anyone else who's interested:

As I suspected, the limit is 10,000 pixels in any one dimension. Lightroom will not import an image with 10,001 pixels along one side.

10K is a nice round number, I suppose, but seems a touch arbitrary. Here's hoping they increase that, as there are lots of images in my collection I won't be able to work with via Lightroom if not..

kurka666

2 Questions
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 07:20:48 am »

What a strange design design by Adobe to simply just ignore our pictures if they are wider than 10.000 pixels! I can not really se any good reason for doing that (I'm a programmer myself). I understand that it may be a little difficult to show and process pictures of an unlimited size, but it does not give them any excuse for not including them in in the index. At least they should be indexed properly by metadata, and then just show a "this picture can not be viewed" message or something when the picture is selected.

This of course goes for the other pictures LR won't index either, like incompatible PS formats. Seriously - how can they make a Photoshop-family product that is not compatible with Photoshop files? Again - at least they should read and extract the metadata and index them.

Most of LR is brilliant, but there are still too many design flaws like this.

Gabe

2 Questions
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 12:35:21 pm »

What a strange design design by Adobe to simply just ignore our pictures if they are wider than 10.000 pixels! I can not really se any good reason for doing that (I'm a programmer myself). I understand that it may be a little difficult to show and process pictures of an unlimited size, but it does not give them any excuse for not including them in in the index. At least they should be indexed properly by metadata, and then just show a "this picture can not be viewed" message or something when the picture is selected.

This of course goes for the other pictures LR won't index either, like incompatible PS formats. Seriously - how can they make a Photoshop-family product that is not compatible with Photoshop files? Again - at least they should read and extract the metadata and index them.
Most of LR is brilliant, but there are still too many design flaws like this.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149314\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree with most everything you've said, kurka, but I think it's worth mentioning at this point that the posts you responded to were with regard to the Lightroom Beta.

Adobe may well have fixed those issues in the final release of LR (and shame on them if they didn't, but I'd be surprised to discover that was the case). I haven't used the retail release of LR, so can't comment.

kurka666

2 Questions
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 04:43:41 pm »

I agree with most everything you've said, kurka, but I think it's worth mentioning at this point that the posts you responded to were with regard to the Lightroom Beta.

Adobe may well have fixed those issues in the final release of LR (and shame on them if they didn't, but I'd be surprised to discover that was the case). I haven't used the retail release of LR, so can't comment.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149362\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I wasn't aware of that, but anyway, my experience is from version 1.2, so it's still there :-( And yes, shame on you Adobe, this is bad design and lack of thinking.

I have on adobeforums found some explanations on the 10.000 pixel limit, and I understand that there must be a limit in the size of pictures that can be edited in the develop module, but I still want ALL of my images indexed. In version 1.3 please!
Pages: [1]   Go Up