Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Books for photoshop, one more question.  (Read 6184 times)

Bill Koenig

Books for photoshop, one more question.
« on: June 16, 2006, 12:25:50 pm »

In regards to books for photoshop. First, thanks to all of you that responded to my  pervious post. As I said back then, I'm totally new to PhotoShop. On everyone's recommendation, I purchased Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers by Martin Evening. This book has a ton of info, but, its not exactly something that you sit back in a chair to read. What I mean, is that holding this book for any length of time is a chore. At 680 pages, my best guess says it weights 5 to 10 pounds.
I've learned a lot from it, and it is a great reference book, and I'm glad I got it.
Question, I'm looking for a book that will get my workflow up to speed a little faster. Something that will explain workflow from start to finish. Maybe the book I already have does this, but theres so much info. Its just a little overwhelming.
So now, I'm asking for another remediation, maybe something that would compliment the first book, but something that would explain workflow better, or should I say, more of a step by step.
Bill Koenig,

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 12:40:15 pm »

Not a direct answer but you might want to look at some of the workbenches from radiantvista.com

Bill Koenig

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 03:59:12 pm »

Thanks for the link, very cool.
Bill Koenig,

jimhuber

• Elegant Earth
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 06:37:53 pm »

Sounds like Tim Grey's "Photoshop CS2 Workflow" might be just what you're looking for. I doubt he'd mind me listing the chapter titles here:

Part 1: Getting Started
1 Workflow Foundations
2 Download & Sort
3 Raw Conversion

Part 2: Basic Adjustments
4 Rotate & Crop
5 Basic Tone & Color
6 Image Cleanup

Part 3: Advanced Adjustments
7 Advanced Tonal Adjustments
8 Advanced Color Adjustments
9 Making Selections
10 Targeted Adjustments
11 Creative Adjustments

Part 4: Finishing the Workflow
12 Saving Files
13 Workflow Automation
14 Output Processing

Appendix: Sample Workflow Checklist

ISBN 0-7821-4396-2, published by Sybex in 2005

Chris_T

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 08:54:18 am »

In regards to books for photoshop. First, thanks to all of you that responded to my  pervious post. As I said back then, I'm totally new to PhotoShop. On everyone's recommendation, I purchased Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers by Martin Evening. This book has a ton of info, but, its not exactly something that you sit back in a chair to read. What I mean, is that holding this book for any length of time is a chore. At 680 pages, my best guess says it weights 5 to 10 pounds.
I've learned a lot from it, and it is a great reference book, and I'm glad I got it.
Question, I'm looking for a book that will get my workflow up to speed a little faster. Something that will explain workflow from start to finish. Maybe the book I already have does this, but theres so much info. Its just a little overwhelming.
So now, I'm asking for another remediation, maybe something that would compliment the first book, but something that would explain workflow better, or should I say, more of a step by step.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68321\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I missed your original post, and would have suggested PS Artistry by Barry Haynes over any other books for someone like yourself. Why?

Hayes offer $$$$ workshops, and his books are like verbatem transcripts from them. Dry but accurate down to click by click.

The chapters are organized from easy to complex, and teach you how to handle common problems found on a wide range of real life photos. Each chapter completely fixes all the problems found on that chapter's photo. You can either follow the chapters sequentially, or pick only the ones that you need. Evening is a fashion photog, as demonstrated by most of his images. The sequencing of his tutorials are not logical.

When it comes to color management, Haynes is pragmatic and suggests a range of methods depending on your needs and budgets. Others want you to believe that you must spend $$$$.

Unlike Evening's book, all Haynes' images are on a CD for you to practise with. Evening did not take the trouble to do the same.

Disclaimer: I'm not associated with Haynes in any way. Just a very satisfied customer who believes that there are way too many irresponsible PS authors out there. One way to screen them out is by providing really critical and comparative book reviews.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 08:30:18 pm »

1)Here's another vote for Barry Haynes' Photoshop Artistry. Presuming you have the patience to slog through the exercises, it will show you how to do anything, in almost more detail than you need.

2) Scott Kelby's Photoshop CS2 for Digital Photographers- A bit superficial, and Kelby's constant frat-boy humor gets really tiresome after...about two pages. On the other hand, this book provides a quick and effective solution to most image editing problems when you don't feel like taking the scenic route.

3) George DeWolfe's Digital Photography Fine Print Workshop. This book just came out last week, but I cannot recommend it highly enough. DeWolfe is opinionated, even cranky at times, but his book is relentlessly focused on how to produce the best possible print. He teaches ingenious layer and history brush techniques for perfectly controlled dodging/burning and contrast management. He also goes into analyzing images for color and luminosity to determine what they need to "sing". Great stuff.

Chris_T

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 10:44:44 am »

1)Here's another vote for Barry Haynes' Photoshop Artistry. Presuming you have the patience to slog through the exercises, it will show you how to do anything, in almost more detail than you need.

2) Scott Kelby's Photoshop CS2 for Digital Photographers- A bit superficial, and Kelby's constant frat-boy humor gets really tiresome after...about two pages. On the other hand, this book provides a quick and effective solution to most image editing problems when you don't feel like taking the scenic route.

3) George DeWolfe's Digital Photography Fine Print Workshop. This book just came out last week, but I cannot recommend it highly enough. DeWolfe is opinionated, even cranky at times, but his book is relentlessly focused on how to produce the best possible print. He teaches ingenious layer and history brush techniques for perfectly controlled dodging/burning and contrast management. He also goes into analyzing images for color and luminosity to determine what they need to "sing". Great stuff.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In terms of scope and thoroughness, Kelby's books paled by comparison to Haynes'. Kelby should keep his day job (a PS trade show promoter?) and leave teaching Photoshop to others.

Thanks for the DeWolfe book recommendation. A look at his site convinces me that he is not only an experienced and serious photog, but is also a teacher of the craft. It takes a special individual to not only know his craft well, but is also *able* and *willing* to teach. To transfer these abilities into written words is yet another specialty.

The reviews at Amazon are quite positive. But Conrad (a great PS book reviewer) pointed out DeWolfe referred to using his plug-in in the book as a negative. How often does he do that in the book?

[a href=\"http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0072260874/qid=1151240843/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-9882156-6091812?s=books&v=glance&n=283155]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007226087...glance&n=283155[/url]

As an aside, Amazon recommends Julieanne Kost's Window Seat book. That seems like a winner as well. Kost's site shows her work and has many great PS tutorials and plugins.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 01:21:50 pm »

DeWolfe does mention use of his Optipix plug-in here and there in the text, but also provides "manual" methods and alternatives for the tasks in question.

Chris_T

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 10:08:47 am »

DeWolfe does mention use of his Optipix plug-in here and there in the text, but also provides "manual" methods and alternatives for the tasks in question.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69253\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, I'll definitely check this book out.

Speaking of "opinionated", "cranky", and "relentlessly", have you read Dan Margulis' books? All the good teachers/writers (PS or otherwise) that I have encountered seem to possess these "qualities". They are confident with what they teach, and have a strong desire/expectation that their students can/will get the most out of what they have to offer. I would much rather put up with them than with the likes of Kelby and Evening.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 11:27:03 am »

Yup. Dan Margulis is clearly brilliant and has a comprehension of Photoshop far beyond that of mere mortals. His writing style is also caustically entertaining. His new book on Photoshop LAB color is fabulous, though I don't pretend to understand half of it.
On the other hand, his prolonged disparagement of profile-based color management a few years back left me scratching my head, as I was getting excellent results with a method he insisted wouldn't work.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 09:08:36 am »

Yup. Dan Margulis is clearly brilliant and has a comprehension of Photoshop far beyond that of mere mortals. His writing style is also caustically entertaining. His new book on Photoshop LAB color is fabulous, though I don't pretend to understand half of it.
On the other hand, his prolonged disparagement of profile-based color management a few years back left me scratching my head, as I was getting excellent results with a method he insisted wouldn't work.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69590\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you are an experienced user of Photoshop and can't understand half of his book it may say more about the book than about you. Other writers can take readers through elaborate procedures and principles in a way they can readily understand. There are a number of things he doesn't recommend that work perfectly well. I own both of Dan's latest books. Sure, there is much useful stuff in them, but I wouldn't recommend this to a beginner. Same for Haynes Artistry - excellent at a more advanced level.

If the OP is working from raw files, downloading and listening to Reichmann/Schewe's "From Camera to Print" is something I would highly recommend. As for basic books, it's hard to do much better than Willmore's Studio Techniques. Ben is really down to earth and explains the principles in a way mere mortals can understand. Michael Reichmann has two excellent tutorials on this website dealing very compactly and correctly with good workflow procedures in Photoshop. Combine that, plus "From Camera to Pint" and Willmore's book for more depth on the key tools, and the OP will be well on his way.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 10:24:13 am »

Adobe Photoshop CS3 Classroom in a Book Adobe Press

http://www.journeyed.com/itemDetail.asp?ItmNo=70331039N
Gerald J Skrocki
Pages: [1]   Go Up