Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: We may need a new subforum for advanced photography…  (Read 2661 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
We may need a new subforum for advanced photography…
« on: August 06, 2016, 05:44:15 am »

Hi,

The medium format forums are a great place to discuss advanced photography but many photographers now use smaller format technical cameras like the Cambo Actus or Arca Swiss Universalis or even tillable/shiftable devices. There is also a lot of interesting techniques to discuss.

So, I would suggest a new sub forum, something aline with "Advanced photography", which is not oriented to specific gear but more oriented towards concepts and picture making.

Best regards
Erik Kaffehr
Erik Kaffehr

stamper

Re: We may need a new subforum for advanced photography…
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 10:13:47 am »

Would there be any entry barriers, only professionals and no amateurs? Possibly it could be regarded as elitism. I don't think it is a flier. :-\

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 12:26:17 pm »

No,

That is not my suggested intention. Any discussion about ways of shooting pictures, but not fixed on specific gear. Essentially a place there it is natural to discuss 'advanced topics' regardless of 4/3, APS-C, 24x36, MFD or 8"x10".

Now, what is an 'advanced topic' anything that the poster regards worth discussing on the thread.

Best regards
Erik

Would there be any entry barriers, only professionals and no amateurs? Possibly it could be regarded as elitism. I don't think it is a flier. :-\
Erik Kaffehr

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 02:39:26 pm »

...not oriented to specific gear but more oriented towards concepts and picture making.

Not yet convinced - but something like 'Advanced Photography' in the Art of Photography section?

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 02:46:31 pm »

Could this also include underwater photography?

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 02:49:16 pm »

Essentially a place there it is natural to discuss 'advanced topics' regardless of 4/3, APS-C, 24x36, MFD or 8"x10".

Now, what is an 'advanced topic' anything that the poster regards worth discussing on the thread.

Can you please give an example of a topic that currently does not fit somewhere "naturally"?

P.S. I have to admit that, if "Advanced" forum is indeed established, I'll be hugely tempted to post something along the lines of "Why is background on my big camera pictures blurred? I never get this sort of cr@p with my cell phone..." there  ;)

TomFrerichs

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 04:03:42 pm »

Personally, I'd vote no...assuming I have a vote.

I think the topic is too general for the stated intent.  We already have issues with "Cameras, Lenses, and Shooting Gear" and "Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques." Which category is chosen for a thread seems almost random.

I fear that the group your are positing would be subject to the same kind of confusion, especially when the description is "advanced topics."

Tom Frerichs

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 04:09:35 pm »

Hi,

Pretty much things that are discussed in the MFD forums, but more focused on usage than equipment. Some folks have moved from MFD, but are still making the same style images. So a place to discuss stuff, but less fixed on gear and more focused on making use of gear.

Just as an example, the MFD forum is the place to discuss movements, but if you don't use MFD you are not really welcome.

So what is advanced, anything outside f/8 and be there. Nothing wrong with f/8 and be there of course!

Best regards
Erik

Not yet convinced - but something like 'Advanced Photography' in the Art of Photography section?
Erik Kaffehr

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 04:21:56 am »

I think you'd need a more descriptive title. Everyone thinks their photography is advanced :)
So you could call it something like Tilt, shift and other advanced techniques. Although I'd still be at a loss to understand what might be in "other advanced." You might be over-run by discussion of stitching and HDR...
Pages: [1]   Go Up