Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vancouver, BC  (Read 4003 times)

jmdr

• http://www.borealisimages.ca
Vancouver, BC
« on: June 12, 2006, 02:07:16 am »

I will be travelling to Vancouver at the end of the month (June) and was hoping for some tips on locations for making landscape photographs.  I won't have long, but I will be fairly mobile while I'm there.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Vancouver, BC
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 09:07:01 am »

Stanley Park is downtown and a must-see. North Vancouver across Lions Gate bridge both offer great photo ops. Granville Island is great fun. For some gritty stuff you might try the poorer sections but only during the day.

Peter McLennan

Vancouver, BC
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 12:35:26 pm »

Kenneth's are all good suggestions, especially Stanley Park if you're pressed for time.   You could shoot in the park for an entire day and barely sratch the surface.  Near the Georgia Street entrance (Denman and Georgia) you can rent a bike.  Perfect for rapid acess to the entire park. Cycling the Stanley Park Seawall is a class ten experience.  Do it at off hours, especially very early in the morning or late in the evening.  Safe, fun, gorgeous, easy (flat terrain) and a zillion landscape opportunities.

I'll add, on the North Shore

Cleveland Dam, an easy find and a good, short time visit.  

Capilano Suspension Bridge, (touristy, easy) or Lynn Valley Suspension Bridge (harder to get to, a hundredth the tourist factor, just as spectacular and FREE

Right next to Cleveland Dam if you have time, the Grouse Mountain Cable Tram is spectacluar. (be on top at sunset)  Helicopter rides on top of Grouse are cheap and incredible value since you're already in wilderness.  $100 buys you a life-changing experience.  Barring the helicopter, the views from the top of the tramway at sunset are quite amazing.

Lighthouse Park at Point Atkinson in West Vancouver for excellent west coast scenery.  The biggest trees you'll see in Canada.  Rocky Cliffs overlooking the ocean, a lighthouse!  A pretty half hour drive from Stanley Park along the shore (Marine Drive) through some pretty tony real estate.  Return to downtown via the Upper Levels Highway for a good loop tour and more views.

False Creek, in the heart of the city.  Lots of walking paths, good urban landscapes.  Restaurants.  Bicycle works really well here, too.

Have fun.  It's a great city.  It might rain.  

Peter

jmdr

• http://www.borealisimages.ca
Vancouver, BC
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 04:14:35 pm »

Thanks to both replys.  I've been to Lynn canyon, as well as lighthouse park- both awesome.  For anyone else viewing this topic long after I'm back from BC, I'll also add that Reifel migratory bird sancturary is a beautiful spot (lots of bird opportunities), as well as Iona island, which is about 10 minutes from the airport.

'looking forward to it...

Jonathan

manrico Scremin

Vancouver, BC
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 12:21:30 pm »

Having lived in Vancouver almost my entire life, I have to disagree a bit with Kenneth.  All of Vancouver is very safe, day or night.  Certainly there are areas which are not particularly pleasant: hard drug addicts, street people, etc.  

These people may panhandle you but they are very unlikely to rob or attack you.  

Property crime is a different matter.  Do not leave anything visible in the car.  Also, if you are putting things in the trunk of the car, do that before you drive somewhere and not once you get there.

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
Vancouver, BC
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 06:19:39 am »

Interesting insight into a place we have never been but have been considering for a holiday.

Please advise me?  What are the weather conditions and temperatures (day / night) likely to be in late August through to end of October.

We were thinking of a 2/3 weeks fly/drive holiday in the Vancouver area but travelling on every few days i.e. a few key locations in that part of BC over the whole period ~ to better be able to take in the scenery/atmosphere/events(if any)/food etc in each locale before moving to the next one.

Lastly, any recommendations or links to hotels/guest houses would be very welcome.

TIA  
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

Peter McLennan

Vancouver, BC
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 11:23:07 am »

Please advise me?  What are the weather conditions and temperatures (day / night) likely to be in late August through to end of October.
TIA 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68300\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Perfect.  An ideal time to visit.  You'll have the least liklihood of rain of the entire year and daytime temperatures in the mid twenties to mid teens.  With three weeks, you can visit Victoria and perhaps some of the Interior.  For example, Lillooet via Whistler will knock your landscape socks off.

Peter

spidermike

Vancouver, BC
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 01:37:27 am »

What do you mean by 'don't have long'? If you are there more than a couple of days, it may be worth considering the new scenic rail link between Vancouver and Whistler - it takes only about 2.5h and you are going up to a classic winter mountain location.

Other than that, I agree with all the above recommendations - and I think it has the most photogenic city scapes I have seen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up