Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Father of the Bride  (Read 2092 times)

seamus finn

Father of the Bride
« on: August 01, 2016, 04:03:13 pm »

Maybe he overdid it at the bar!

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 05:51:18 pm by seamus finn »

wmchauncey

Re: Father of the Bride
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 06:50:30 am »

The title confuses me...are they preparing to lay him out on the table?
The things you do for yourself die with

Otto Phocus

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 06:56:22 am »

I agree, the title is a bit confusing. 
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

seamus finn

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 07:25:52 am »

When you're explaining, you're losing.

I took this picture at a wedding.

Imagine it's the father of the bride being carried out of the place after a hard day and night at the bar - not to mention having just glimpsed the bill for the do.

I think I must have a weird sense of humour.

Sorry about that!

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 07:53:18 am »

When you're explaining, you're losing.

I took this picture at a wedding.

Imagine it's the father of the bride being carried out of the place after a hard day and night at the bar - not to mention having just glimpsed the bill for the do.

I think I must have a weird sense of humour.

Sorry about that!

I got it...not easily, but got it none the less.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 12:22:12 pm by petermfiore »

seamus finn

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 08:01:38 am »

Thanks Peter. You've restored my faith in human nature. I wouldn't mind, but I didn't have a drop of anything stronger than sparkling water when I took the shot. Not much of a recommendation for staying stone, cold bloody sober!

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 11:12:05 am »

Thanks Peter. You've restored my faith in human nature. I wouldn't mind, but I didn't have a drop of anything stronger than sparkling water when I took the shot. Not much of a recommendation for staying stone, cold bloody sober!

On top of that, did you notice how the pretty ones both have their legs tightly - and most decisively - crossed? Must be an Irish thing. Or waiting for HC-B. Which could well be the same thing, and a refreshing change for them from Godot. On the other hand, a guy who never comes...

Just been watching a few Rick Stein vids; now at the final end of his French Canal trip, and I have decided on the home-prepared menu for tomorrow. He incites bar-meal rebellion every time I rerun those videos; but I can never remember enough the next day - or even five minutes later than the viewing. It's my favourite of his ventures; well worth the watching and drooling. I just wish I was still able to eat cheese, rich meats; consume litres of wine... sheee it. Live well whilst you are young and can. If you can afford it. If not, just watch the videos and dream - makes a change from coveting Hasselblads and Phases.

Unfortunately, one of my two local bar-luncheon joints has apparently closed; the guy had been trying to sell up last winter, but no takers. Sign of the times: too many establishements, too much competition and location, location, location, of which only a couple can afford to avail themselves. Then I wouldn't be a patron for obvious reasons. two crackers on the quaysides, but a meal costs as much as three I'd normally buy. Factor in Brexit, which has already cost me at least 15% in exchange rates for the pension, and it only gets worse. What I lose tranfsfering money from my own accounts is anybody's guess. Mothers.

Rob

seamus finn

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 01:20:06 pm »

Jeez, Rob, I didn't realise the Brexit thing was that severe on you ex-pats. If things get much worse, you won't be able to afford any kind of meal, good, bad or indifferent and you'll be reduced to salivating at gorgeous food programmes, although, mind you, it sounds like you're doing that already! 

Over here, the worry is about what kind of border will come into play between the Republic of Ireland and the North. Considering the amount of blood, violence, diplomatic double-speak and Anglo-Irish Agreements (more fudges) it took to virtually get rid of the damned thing, now it looks as if it could be back again, in some shape or form.

I still cling to the belief that, when push comes to shove, the British Government and the EU, between them, will devise some trumped-up method of avoiding a Brexit while keeping egg of the collective faces of the British political classes.

In the meantime, it looks like trouble ahead for all us Europeans.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 04:42:49 am »

Jeez, Rob, I didn't realise the Brexit thing was that severe on you ex-pats. If things get much worse, you won't be able to afford any kind of meal, good, bad or indifferent and you'll be reduced to salivating at gorgeous food programmes, although, mind you, it sounds like you're doing that already! 

Over here, the worry is about what kind of border will come into play between the Republic of Ireland and the North. Considering the amount of blood, violence, diplomatic double-speak and Anglo-Irish Agreements (more fudges) it took to virtually get rid of the damned thing, now it looks as if it could be back again, in some shape or form.

I still cling to the belief that, when push comes to shove, the British Government and the EU, between them, will devise some trumped-up method of avoiding a Brexit while keeping egg of the collective faces of the British political classes.

In the meantime, it looks like trouble ahead for all us Europeans.

Hi Seamus,

It's my belief that very few 'exiters' thought it through.

On the one hand I see it as a result of a crazy UK press system where foreign ownership of great swathes of it upsets the natural flow of things. I'm sure that the closure of his Sunday newspaper is still rankling Murdoch hard; retribution against a system is in his hands and he's using it. On the other hand, I have little respect - if any - for a population that hides behind popular slogans and blames Europe for its own shortcomings, ignoring, the while, the benefits that flow into the country from there. Naturally, these people would all like a one-way situation where we get and never have to give. There is neither space here nor time and inclination on my part to numerate what we get back; suffice it to say that travel with the security of an E111 card will never be the same again if this goes through. That promise of pan-European medical help was alone worth every cent we put into the deal. My own family, all in perfect health - thank God - have had occasion to use it when on holiday out here with me. (No, not my cooking - we eat out!)

The very rich will feel little - they constantly review their portfolios anyway - and as usual it's the small guys in the middle who get clobbered - without even having the right to vote, in my case.

(My local French-owned restaurant - one of two I usually frequented - now the only one left- already feels the pinch. Popular with the Brits who live here or come on holiday and rent villas away from the coast, and always packed to the brim on local fiesta days by local people, the owner tells me he needs thirty covers a day for lunch to pay his way. He used to have a queue outside every lunchtime - made me get into my 1 pm sharp routine just to get a table - and now he struggles. The Spanish only come on fiestas because they still suffer from the 2008 banking mess, and the expats are also hit by the same dramatic fall in interest returns. The new Brexit devaluation crisis has simply made it worse for us, but the consequences mean less business for the locals, too...)

I bet nobody on mainland England even gave a thought to your situation re. borders. Ireland is too far away - probably somewhere in America, and near Florida unless it's a suburb of New York. But anyway, it ceased existing as soon as the Sunday Times colour supplements stopped featuring it, wherever it lives. Has David Attenborough done it yet? ;-)

My gut feeling? It was meant to be a ritualistic 'protest' at government that went wrong. Much to the amazement of the protest makers, the same old same old who always have dramatic theories about most things, and definite hatreds for most things foreign. If there's any consolation, they will also be the ones who suffer the most. Pyrrhic though that may be, it brings the slight satisfaction that I shall not burn alone.

Rob

seamus finn

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 11:50:18 am »

All very relevant, Rob.

Here's another disturbing possibility: the same 'protest, anti-establishment' vote that's driving Britain out of the EU is the same kind of disenchanted, won't-think-it-through vote that may send Mr.Donald Trump crashing through the front door of the White House.

Sorry to upset your day!

Regards,

Seamus.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 12:03:28 pm »

All very relevant, Rob.

Here's another disturbing possibility: the same 'protest, anti-establishment' vote that's driving Britain out of the EU is the same kind of disenchanted, won't-think-it-through vote that may send Mr.Donald Trump crashing through the front door of the White House.

Sorry to upset your day!

Regards,

Seamus.

He is starting to unravel...Stayed tuned.

Peter

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 01:23:08 pm »

When you're explaining, you're losing
The image itself doesn't really say "wedding". The main group of of young people "appear to be" generic service staff like you would see at a "hotel"  - with two nicely dressed woman - could be nicely dressed for any one of a number of reasons. The "thing" they are carrying doesn't resemble anything but a table with table cloths? Usually best to let the "image itself "do the "heavy lifting"  - in this case it really doesn't do anything satisfactorily except record some unknowable event.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 01:29:32 pm by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

seamus finn

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 08:27:51 pm »

Amen to that. It was unknowable to me too at the time. You'd need to be there, very late at night.

As Russ often quotes - ambiguous, baby, ambiguous. It's street but it doesn't have to be in the street.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:38:24 pm by seamus finn »

seamus finn

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 08:44:24 pm »

He is starting to unravel...Stayed tuned.

Peter

The quicker the better, Peter. At the moment, I'm on steroids as part of an ongoing chemo treatment, so it means I'm up much of the night, switching channels. The way I see it, chemo isn't half as scary as 'the Donald'.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 08:49:23 pm »

The quicker the better, Peter. At the moment, I'm on steroids as part of an ongoing chemo treatment, so it means I'm up much of the night, switching channels. The way I see it, chemo isn't half as scary as 'the Donald'.

All the best to you, Seamus...and a great sense of humor goes avery long way. With chemo and the Donald.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 06:07:45 am by petermfiore »

seamus finn

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 08:54:53 pm »

I appreciate that, Peter - thank you.

He's with me all the way - and not in a good way. In forty years of print journalism, I've come across a lot of strange political things, but never on this scale.

Every day, I'm waiting for him to self-destruct and stop setting the media agenda but it hasn't happened yet. Thank you media - as one of them to myself!

S
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 09:00:27 pm by seamus finn »

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 03:16:23 am »

Keep on truckin' Seamus.

Rob

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 10:18:59 am »

Hang in there Seamus. We're rootin' for you.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 11:10:55 am »

Hang in there Seamus. We're rootin' for you.
Absolutely!

As for the image, I guess there must be something wrong with me too, since I put the caption and image together with no problem whatever. Sure there is ambiguity, which is all to the good. Do get healthy and keep on sending us these gems.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

seamus finn

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 11:26:02 am »

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate your good wishes and support.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up