Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Woeful Lightroom performance with EOS 5Ds  (Read 16592 times)

Ghibby

Re: Woeful Lightroom performance with EOS 5Ds
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2016, 08:07:59 am »

Have you considered Capture One as an alternative. It should be a an excellent alternative.

I have tried C1 and gave it a full 30 day trial. For my work and quantity of images I found it to be slower then LR, especially with export of finished images to JPEG etc, it also takes its time to render 1:1 images at 50mp from the Canon EOS 5Ds.  Undoubtedly C1 has some major positives with some tools, control of colour was very good, as is sharpening and noise reduction which are probably a bit better than LR, that being said I missed the lack of custom camera profiles as per LR and ACR.  In doing a whole set of comparisons with the same set of images I found that while I was able to get nice images out of C1 they slightly different interpretations than the LR versions, not better.

I have used LR for a long time and have a deep understanding of the software, using C1 was interesting but ultimately a less cohesive package for me than LR so I choose to stick with Adobe for now.

Still looking forward to On1 photo raw though! Hopefully another viable alternative in this market!

Rendezvous

• Daniel Talbot Photo Blog
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2016, 12:19:14 am »

I noticed I get significantly better performance if I (on mac) unmount the drive containing the photos, and edit using the smart previews. Things are a lot more snappy, but of course this solution isn't suitable for 1:1 sharpening etc.

bbrantley

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2016, 11:46:33 pm »

To the people who are seeing good Library mode 1:1 performance:  not on my 5k iMac, at least on MacOS.  There is still a painful lag.  Smart preview is 2880px wide, and a full rendering has to occur for each image.  Why the software can't precompute some more of this is a mystery to me.

Ghibby

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2017, 10:05:02 am »

Been a while since this topic has been posted on but though it would be of interest to some readers.   I have seen a continued improvement in the performance of LR, the use of smart previews to speed up develop module has been great. Its still a bit clunky when zoomed in but overall performance is acceptable with the 5Ds.  I have recently tried On1 Photo 2017 to see what it can offer…  Not ready yet IMHO. It looks promising but it makes Lightroom look fast, it is so slow on export and switching between modules, not useable for a professional edit yet.  Image quality is again different to Lightroom and while it is better at noise reduction due to the control on offer with shadow, mids or highlight protection it does not seem to be able to extract the same level of finesse and detail from the image as LR can.  Some of this is perhaps due to my comparative inexperience relative to LR but the speed of operation and basic set up is too painful for me to continue evaluating for now.  At the moment Adobe keeps my custom as I feel it offers the best all round package, including sheer performance (which it pains me to say in light of the original subject matter for this post) for my needs.  Still hoping for a big performance boost from LR in the future though.

Ben
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up