Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nice Sentiments  (Read 10549 times)

Rob C

Re: Nice Sentiments
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2016, 09:19:31 am »

I think there may also be an issue of showing some interest in the music too. I can well imagine that a musician is frustrated by tourists who see him or her purely as visual decoration. To some extent a musician is doing it "for the fun of it"... not entirely, but I've never met a musician who treats performing in the same way as a job in a bank.

In my experience, staying to listen, givng a bit of money and saying thank you for the music is always appreciated.

That's a very sound principle to follow.

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2016, 09:34:42 am »

but seeing the pictures later told me enough just by looking at the guy's face.

There is also the issue of machismo and men who feel they own the woman they're with. They would probably say "protect"... everyone has their perspective.
I've experience it here with the muslim culure: once I took a photo from behind a woman wearing mid-level* Islamic dress, and her husband came over to ask if I'd photographed her. I said no; he didn't asked to check the camera, I deleted later anyway. Legally I was clear, since she wouldn't have been identifiable in any way, but that's not something I'd be interested in arguing.

(*) mid-level meaning head covered rather more seriously than the casual scarf that an Indonesian woman would wear, but not the face-obscuring letter-box slot Saudi look.

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 12:18:59 pm »

Rob, I think it's more of an issue if people don't understand the photographer's intent.

As an example, when photographing folk in Morocco the individual may or may not like being photographed but they do understand why a western European would want to do so: It's a daily occurrence for them.

On the other hand I would never attempt to capture images such as you've posted here and on the without prejudice thread as the intent is not obvious and is open to all kinds of misinterpretation.

That's an interesting point, Keith.

To be frank, I'm not really sure of the motivation myself - it's mostly that I see something about to happen (usually far too late) that might make a pleasing picture for me, and that's about it. I think that I'd find it embarrassing trying to say that to any challenger, perhaps because they wouldn't understand unless they, too, were snappers.

Truth is, I find anything human outwith paid models a challenge. I feel uncomfortable because, unlike with a model whose work one knows (or should) before the fact, there's no background of what she does or does not do. It's so easy to cross invisible demarcation lines that one didn't know even existed in that person's mind.

On the same thing: why do you find yourself drawn to shooting women or kids in North Africa? I don't think you do it in Greece or Italy. Similar demarcation lines? That kids can get you arrested or, worse, mobbed in 'western' society regardless of your innocence is something that has stopped me ever doing kids outwith advertising decades ago. I wouldn't dream of it. And it's such a shame: some old photographers have made fabulous street pics of children at play or just hanging out with their fellow brats. Such great, natural material to work with, but now far too dangerous because of some sick bastards who mess life up for the rest of us.

Hey ho.

Rob
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 12:22:03 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 12:42:51 pm »

I do occasionally but they are far more interesting in North Africa. As I said, it's a daily occurrence for them, they're used to it, unlike those in Surrey, or for that matter, I'd imagine, Mallorca.

Not sure why you'd think them more interesting in N.A. as you can't really see very much of them beyond splashes of colour which yes, I appreciate is your thing, but the western women (some!) have, for me, so much allure. You may remember I had once asked a lady in an establishment I have to go to regularly if she were interested in doing pics, and she never got back to me about it; well, I was back there today and she was doing some research on her computer for me, and I couldn't get my eyes off her: the clothes, and the way she wore them (and I'm absolutely certain with purpose), everything was tailor-made for modelling. Clearly, I have no intention of pushing silence into actual negative reaction, so I just carried on biting my tongue and thinking what a waste. Some days it's best staying in bed: far less frustrating!

;-)

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2016, 02:42:57 pm »

I'd reply that I've no interest in making images of North African women or for that matter women in general for their sexual allure. My appreciation in that respect goes somewhat deeper than photography ever could.

:-)

I've just erased my initial draft: not really sure I've yet thought through the ambiguity within your post...

;-)

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2016, 03:30:07 pm »

Me, ambiguous? Hmm, I'm not at all sure.

;-)

But I have resolved the issue: I just pressed the button to buy Saul Leiter's double-book set on his B/W work (Interiors; Exteriors)! I feel I'm flying, but here's the trouble with Internet shopping: I have to wait! That there's no local alternative isn't the point - or rather, it sure is.

Funny thing: though I'm probably pretty familiar already with much of what I expect to find, I feel I owe it to him, posthumously at least; they will sit beside his last colour book. First met his work in Popular Photography Annual at the end of the 50s or thereabouts. Then he vanished off my radar. Yet, years after retiring, I found him again on the web and for the first time I feel I'm really being influenced directly by another photographer. Which is just as well: I'd have given up some time ago had I stuck with nothing but my own available reality in its more obvious state. That was possibly a big problem with shooting stock: they seemed to want standard, pretty, holiday brochure and/or lifestyle stuff. Which of course, is why the big stock agencies got rich and Saul did not, until it hardly mattered to him anymore. I bailed out, though it did still matter to me a bit.

Oh well, nothing's perfect.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2016, 05:05:29 pm »

The book and work, at least from what I can see online, looks wonderful.

Enjoy!

Thank you!

Rob
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up