Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does this look odd?  (Read 7434 times)

drmike

• On Flickr:
Re: Why does this look odd?
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2016, 02:42:32 am »

I don't believe a photographer of his status albeit not the highest gets random luck. He saw that consciously or subconsciously. I agree it's far from his best but I'd love to be able to reject stuff like this :)

Mike

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2016, 10:29:29 am »

...Yet, as part of a larger body of work...

And that is what really counts in this case, the whole body of work, the concept behind.

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2016, 01:09:48 pm »

And that is what really counts in this case, the whole body of work, the concept behind.

Interesting idea: so more individual mediocrity makes for a satisfying whole when seen as collected mediocrity? So fuzzy concept really does make sense after all.

Guess the art of editing is dead, old-fashioned or simply avoided. Political correctness would seem to be lurking somewhere in that spiritual mix! I always tell the majority of my pixel babies they are beautiful even as I kill them. No, that's a fib: I put them into a PS incubator and turn them into something else. I'm an old romantic: Frankenstein's creation does have charm. I firmly believe that the single great contribution of digital has been to allow me to shoot mental tannies, yet fondle them beyond the bounds of filmic decencies. Were I able to make music rather than just listen to it, I'd wax lyrical about the score and then the interpretation!

;-)

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2016, 01:22:28 pm »

Interesting idea: so more individual mediocrity makes for a satisfying whole when seen as collected mediocrity? ...

Yes, Rob, the law of conversion of quantity into quality (Marx and dialectics)  ;)

But seriously, that is nothing new, i.e., that subject matter dominates over medium or technique. The series is not about medium, technique or even photography, it is about fascinating samples of British characters.

You would be the first to argue that, when it comes to landscape for instance, the attraction of it often lies in God's creation itself (subject matter), rather than the photographer's creativity.

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2016, 04:31:05 pm »

Yes, Rob, the law of conversion of quantity into quality (Marx and dialectics)  ;)

But seriously, that is nothing new, i.e., that subject matter dominates over medium or technique. The series is not about medium, technique or even photography, it is about fascinating samples of British characters.

You would be the first to argue that, when it comes to landscape for instance, the attraction of it often lies in God's creation itself (subject matter), rather than the photographer's creativity.

Absolutely, rendering the photography, unless for some commercial purpose, next to redundant. I stopped being interested in landscape almost exactly about the time I stopped doing stock!

Such heresy aside, I do enjoy and respect a great deal of urban photography which, because of the human element, either due to its physical presence or simply by the fact of designed creation - the work of man as well as the presence of man, one might say - adds a certain interest measurable in human terms which, perhaps, literal landscape can't; could be it's simply too big for comfort.

Maybe it's just confusion over terminology, but from a photographic perspective, I'd find a lot more of interest in Rome than I do here in the tourist sticks. Yes, it's lovely up in the mountains as it is down by the sea, but lovely doesn't imply connectivity.

Rob

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2016, 02:58:46 pm »

Let's chuck another one into the mix

Nice girl

And she is a sweet looking girl too - agreed?

But is she the subject or is that weird yellow thing really the subject? Personally I would have lost the bus shelter but maybe he doesn't do that sort of thing. I'm thinking the yellowness of that object is a function of the way he deals with colour and nothing specific.

I like his shots of people but I quite like this too Not a person as it's an interesting diversion.

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2016, 05:20:12 am »

Let's chuck another one into the mix

Nice girl

And she is a sweet looking girl too - agreed?

But is she the subject or is that weird yellow thing really the subject? Personally I would have lost the bus shelter but maybe he doesn't do that sort of thing. I'm thinking the yellowness of that object is a function of the way he deals with colour and nothing specific.

I like his shots of people but I quite like this too Not a person as it's an interesting diversion.

The technique - colour - reminds me of efforts to save the day when shooting models under stormy conditions that were meant to be summery ones. It happened as a result of using a low-powered Nikon A filter with Kodachrome. It didn't fool anybody - least of all me!

Rob C

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2016, 08:13:44 am »

Nice girl

For me,... a boring snapshot that was fiddled via the vibrance slider. And remained boring. Just an opinion. Maybe it had a point to make?

Maybe if I got into his head-space by looking at lots of his photos I'd start to see them in some novel way?

Not a person

That has some interest for me as a graphical composition.

sam@

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2016, 09:39:11 pm »

I think this is a very average image in many ways

light doesn't generally fall light this in nature

burn tool to slightly darken all around the edges - with the exception of the lighter part on the ground behind the boy - this part is what feels odd to me (if any)
If you cover that lighter part of the image it doesn't have that feel.

shallow depth of field

IMHO

Best regards,
Sam

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up