Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are Lula folks/staff still using Sony A7 system?  (Read 4010 times)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Are Lula folks/staff still using Sony A7 system?
« on: July 26, 2016, 09:24:25 am »

Are we going to see reviews/impressions from recent lens releases for the Sony A7 system? I don't recall anything at the time of announcement for stuff like the Loxia 21, Batis 18, the new GM 85, GM 24-70, GM 70-200, ZE 50.

A lot of lenses, and no attention to them. I am not complaining, mind you, I am just interested in the opinion of the Lula experts, as I am a user of the system. It was perhaps 1 year ago that we had an initial review of the Batis 25, 85, and G90 macro, and then nothing more.

All the best.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Are Lula folks/staff still using Sony A7 system?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 11:53:30 pm »

If I recall, compactness and lightwieight were quoted as the main reasons why the Sony a7 system generated interest.

Since Sony, in their quest to win again Canon and Nikon, gave up on compactness with their recent lens annoucements, perhaps our hosts have been less interested in these?

Cheers,
Bernard

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 12:26:32 am »

Yes, I have all the new G Master lenses I'll be reporting on as well as the cameras.  The 85mm, 24-70 and 70-200mm are not compact.  But they perform.  I'm in Alaska for a week and will be shooting with Sony gear. I'll try to get some reports finished once I am home again.  Been testing a lot of gear from a number of companies.  The reports take time to do and compile on top of other activities but I anticipate August and September will be busy with gear reports. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 04:09:10 am »

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate the effort. Looking forward to your views.

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 04:13:12 am »

If I recall, compactness and lightwieight were quoted as the main reasons why the Sony a7 system generated interest.

Since Sony, in their quest to win again Canon and Nikon, gave up on compactness with their recent lens annoucements, perhaps our hosts have been less interested in these?

Cheers,
Bernard

Sure, compactness, lightweight, but also top quality. That is what moved me into the system. It is only natural that Sony have been introducing f2.8 zooms and f1.4 lenses, as they are part any system worth its salt. And such lenses are never small. From the reports that have been emerging, these lenses are really, really good.

Herbc

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 06:59:48 am »

The A7 system does not require huge lenses if you are ok with manual focus, and smaller apertures.

I for one would love to see FE mounts that mimic Leica's and Zeiss' f3.8 and f4 lenses that are quite small, as well as most of their f2.8 offerings.

AFairley

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 04:58:20 pm »

The A7 system does not require huge lenses if you are ok with manual focus, and smaller apertures.

I for one would love to see FE mounts that mimic Leica's and Zeiss' f3.8 and f4 lenses that are quite small, as well as most of their f2.8 offerings.

+1. The existing 35mm f2.8 is a perfect size and speed for my needs

chez

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 07:46:38 pm »

+1. The existing 35mm f2.8 is a perfect size and speed for my needs

That along with the 28 f2.0 make a great street photo dual.

adias

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 06:26:40 pm »

That's the thing. The mirrorless cameras are only compact with small (short FL and F#) lenses. When 2.8 zooms are added the advantage is gone, IMHO.

donbga

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 12:10:25 am »

That's the thing. The mirrorless cameras are only compact with small (short FL and F#) lenses. When 2.8 zooms are added the advantage is gone, IMHO.
That's not what I've experienced.

chez

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 08:23:49 am »

Fir me, that's the beauty of mirrorless. When I travel I shoot both landscapes and street. For landscapes, I put my A7R onto a tripod and use my big heavy Zeiss lenses. When I'm walking the streets, I put a 28mm or 35mm onto my A7R and it becomes a great light street setup. No need to have a separate system for a light street setup.

Herbc

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 04:50:10 pm »

If you don't need either zoom or AF, what's not to like? 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up