Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: printing long panos with IPF6400?  (Read 993 times)

arlon

• Pbase account
printing long panos with IPF6400?
« on: July 25, 2016, 09:57:57 pm »

I have always used the PS plugin to do my panoramas but I now have a few longer than 30k pixels I want to print. I haven't been able to figure out a way to print outside the plugin. The print option from other apps doesn't give roll paper as an option. Using Auto Pano Pro for making the panoramas and PS Element 14 for most of the printing.
Honey, did you bring an extra battery?

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Re: printing long panos with IPF6400?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 10:16:01 pm »

I haven't had trouble with long prints on the 6300. The Canon website says max print length for the 6400: "18m (Varies according to the OS and application)".
Both Lightroom and Qimage should be able to handle long prints.
If the print pipeline is choking on the file size, you may need to drop the original photograph to under 200ppi and let the print software uprez the file.
Not sure what you mean by roll paper not being given as an option in other apps. You still have to open the Canon driver to set options.
David

arlon

• Pbase account
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 01:28:22 pm »

Haven't tried to print from LR. Might be my only other option, I still have LR 4 on here. I'm just not a big fan of LR. When I use the print option directly from other apps like Auto Pano Pro, photomatix, etc. The print dialog box that opens has 100 different paper size options but they are all std sheet sizes and no option for a 12ft long panorama. Limit on the printer isn't an issue, the only real issue is the 30k pixel limit in PSE.

I may have figured it out. Just opening in preview and printing from there. I can get to the 6400 dialog box. What I wasn't noticing was then turning on the "preview" button in the panel opens another that lets me select or add a paper size. Not quite the flexibility that's in the plugin but it looks like I should be able to print the pano.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 02:54:15 pm by arlon »
Honey, did you bring an extra battery?

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 04:21:53 am »

Haven't seen a print dialogue box with options like that. When I print in LR or from Photoshop I use the printing properties dialogue box (see screenshot below).
Page setup: set the paper source to roll paper. Page size: go down to custom and type in the length.

wnichols

• Irvine Headshot Photographer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 03:31:12 pm »

I have gone 4 meters in length on the IPF6400 I run through Mirage for printing, haven't had an issue.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 06:30:02 pm »

I have always used the PS plugin to do my panoramas but I now have a few longer than 30k pixels I want to print. I haven't been able to figure out a way to print outside the plugin. The print option from other apps doesn't give roll paper as an option. Using Auto Pano Pro for making the panoramas and PS Element 14 for most of the printing.

See this where i printed a 14m pano on an 8300 (at 60k pixels)

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/14m_pano_print.html

Just printed the same image during my PRO-2000 review (same ~60k limit)

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/printer/review_canon_pro-2000.html

The plugin will certainly handle larger files than 30k wide - are you hitting some limit in Elements? I found a limit in Photoshop that effectively corresponded to a 2GB data size for the file (just over 60k pixels for my image)

My full size image file is ~6GB. Resize to under 2GB and it prints via the plugin. I'm just finishing a review of Mirage (on the PRO-2000) and tried it with the huge file - works fine, with the full size .psb file (~160k pixels wide)

Pages: [1]   Go Up