Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deleting Images in CO  (Read 2618 times)

N80

Deleting Images in CO
« on: July 25, 2016, 09:46:39 pm »

I'm new to CO. Still learning the everyday processes. I have a question about deleting images while in a User Collection. I know that 'command-delete' will remove it from the album and that the original remains in the Catalog. And I know that if I am in the Catalog I can move an image to trash by dragging it there or using control-command-delete. But I want to be able to get that image into the trash and out of the catalog while viewing the images in the User Collections. LR and Aperture give you this option (remove from album or completely delete original) but I cannot figure out to do it in CO. Dragging to the trash does not work , not does control-command-delete. I hope there is a way to do this as it is my custom to cull images after I've got them sorted into the proper albums within the User Collection.

I could certainly change my workflow and do this from the Catalog or from the 'Recent Import' collection (I'm not sure it will work from there either) but this would complicate things.

If there is not a way to do this is there a way to suggest it to Phase One as this seems like it should be a basic feature even if a dialog box popped up to ask you if you really wanted to delete the original (the way it does in LR).

Thanks,

George
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Re: Deleting Images in CO
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 03:56:35 pm »

Hi,

As far as I know there is no way to delete from disk an image while on a user collection but it should work from the "Recent Import" collection

algrove

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 06:22:52 pm »

I remember something on how to erase images from a catalog in the C1-7 video here on Lula.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 07:47:29 pm »

You can delete images from the catalog, but not from inside a collection

charles.woodrich

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 09:28:53 am »

This is why I still do my initial culling in LR.  I'd probably dump LR if CO had this feature.

Jeff Griffin

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 02:23:47 am »

Perhaps the logic is that an image / images may be in more than one collection.

Then there is a possibility that you decided to delete ( from disk ) in one collection, perhaps forgetting about the others, which of course you want to keep.

Deleting from each collection first, although taking some extra steps may be a good thing.

charles.woodrich

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 08:32:24 am »

Good Point!  Maybe what they could do is set up an initial phase where the image is not added to a session or catalog.

N80

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 02:51:58 pm »

Perhaps the logic is that an image / images may be in more than one collection.

Then there is a possibility that you decided to delete ( from disk ) in one collection, perhaps forgetting about the others, which of course you want to keep.

Deleting from each collection first, although taking some extra steps may be a good thing.

I don't think that is it. In LR and Aperture you can delete an image completely no matter where the 'master' happens to be. If you attempt to delete an image that is a 'copy' (in multiple albums etc) you have an option or a dialog box asks you if you want to delete just from that album or if you want to delete the 'master' which also deletes all of its copies or versions or whatever you want to call them.

This is a simple feature and Phase One really needs to add it because it simplifies culling and editing a great deal. As is, I can cull and edit from a Recent Import 'collection' before adding the image to an album in a User Collection but this can be time sensitive as CO only keeps a limited number of Recent Import collections. So you have to get the work done right then and there if you will be doing frequent subsequent imports.

Does anyone know where you make improvement requests to Phase One? This would be a good easy one for them if a lot of us would request it.
George

N80

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 11:21:07 am »

Someone on the Phase One forums indicated that even when you "Delete from Catalog" that the image file remains in its source location. I am not at home so I cannot confirm this.

If this is the case then Phase One really has a lot of work to do in regard to options for deleting images. I think a variety of delete options is an essential component for any DAM application and as a new user, for me, this is where CO is really lagging behind LR.

Edit: When you empty CO Trash the images that reside in the CO Catalog package are deleted completely. I do not know if this applies to referenced images or images that reside outside of a CO Catalog.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 03:48:39 pm by N80 »
George

Pages: [1]   Go Up