Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P600 Legacy Paper Profiles  (Read 2215 times)

rmazzi

P600 Legacy Paper Profiles
« on: July 25, 2016, 03:31:44 pm »

I am trying to locate Epson p600 ICC profiles for the four legacy papers (Baryta, Plantine, Etching and Fibre).  I can't seem to find any.  Is it possible to use the p800 profiles since the ink, and i presume the printing engine, are the same?  Perhaps i just can't find them.   I have liked the Epson papers in the past and i thought there would be a degree of simplicity and improved quality i would get from using them.  But it seems that Epson doesn't like to keep things simple and they tend to treat the 19" printer with less support - at least as paper profiles go.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: P600 Legacy Paper Profiles
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 04:03:50 pm »

They should be packed-in to the latest version of the driver.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 04:27:31 pm »

Yes, I have the legacy paper icc profiles and media types for my P600, they came with the latest version of the printer driver. I have printed on both the legacy platine and baryta and have been satisfied with the profile quality of both (ymmv). You may want to adjust the paper thickness setting in the driver, for both the papers a thickness setting of 3 is the default, but I get better results with a setting of 4 and a platen gap set to wide. At the default setting for the baryta I was getting some head strikes in the middle of the paper due to a fair amount of "wet curl". The platine is also clearly thicker than 3mm...

MS

rmazzi

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 04:51:16 pm »

Thanks, both for the obvious fix (duh, wish i had checked that) and the printing tips.  Now to find the right images.....

rmazzi

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 05:50:35 pm »

After getting everything sorted, I burned through nearly all my sample pack on one black and white sample image and a couple of color samples.  I am a hobbyist and do not have the same critical eye when evaluating prints, compared to others that frequent this forum.  I was stunned at the difference in prints between the prints I made on the p600 with Canson Photographique and the p600 with Baryta and Plantine.  The black and white prints revealed more subtle details in the shadows and midtones, exactly as i hoped.  The Plantine paper was the winner for me and i loved the feel of the paper as a bonus.  I did not see quite as much difference on the color prints, but I don't think i had selected an image that would play to the paper strengths.  Still i am switching from the Signature Worthy papers and Canson and moving to these legacy papers.

On the Matte papers, the Fibre was amazing on the blacks when i printed an early morning sunrise picture with lots of range (bright sun to dark areas of the incoming ocean waves).  So that will be good if i want a rag feel paper for a portfolio.  The etching was interesting but i don't think i have a good image yet that would take advantage of this.

If a rank amateur can see this kind of difference, skilled amateur and professionals should be delighted and the cost of the paper is well worth it.

Finally, the Back to the Print videos were terrific to watch.  Kudos to Kevin, Jeff, Dan-o, Mark and Chris on the excellent information and quality video. 

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 10:14:10 pm »

...Finally, the Back to the Print videos were terrific to watch.  Kudos to Kevin, Jeff, Dan-o, Mark and Chris on the excellent information and quality video.

Good to hear! Many thanks for the feedback

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up