Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What used digital back for Mamiya 645 AFD III under £2,000?  (Read 11661 times)

joshcomley

New to MF, I have tried to read (and read and read and read) all I can, and although I am beginning to grasp the arena to some degree I am none-the-wiser to what is a good price for what.

I understand that used prices vary due to condition etc., but could anybody advise how they might spend their money if they were in the market for a digital back now for the Mamiya 645 AFD III? I have one being delivered with one lens and no back.

My key goals are landscape and portraits, some candid but not sports or action; it doesn't need to be fast. I know quality lenses are crucial, but without a back they're useless, so first I must buy a back, then slowly add good lenses :)

Many thanks in advance

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: What used digital back for Mamiya 645 AFD III under £2,000?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 11:06:10 pm »

Mate, I started off with a Mamiya 645AF film then went to a 645AFD and was in the same situation you are in. Probably the same situation the guy who sold you this was in.
Frankly I thought the camera was bit of a brick and there was no easy or cheap solution for a back.
I finished up buying a Hasselblad H1 with Phase back and then moved to H2, then sold the lot and bought an H3DII-31. Now have H3DII-39
Much better camera, much better lens range and integrated back.
I am sure for less than you will buy a back for and certainly less than GBP2000 you would buy an H3D-31 or better and sell the Mamiya 645AFD.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 12:41:26 am »

You could look around for a Leaf Aptus II. The 33 MP model has a large sensor. The 22MP model is also nice. Check out the fat pixel magic thread in GetDPI. Plenty of great images from both.

Phase one backs from that era do not have a very good display on the back, but are solid otherwise. They are generally more expensive though.

my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

joshcomley

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 04:30:52 am »

Hi guys,

Thank you both so much for your replies.

BobShaw - I have read a few people talk about the Hasselblads being superior to the Mamiyas, I am new to MFD and am curious what kind of difference I would see if I swapped? I picked up my Mamiya AFD III for a relatively good price, so I am sure I could sell it again if need be for the same. Also, can I change the back on the H3DII-31? I like the idea of saving up good money over the next year and investing in a fantastic, newer digital back for my Mamiya, and of occasionally shooting film (although I am sure I can give up the latter opportunity).

synn - Thank you; I had considered the Leaf Aptus II range but can't find any for sale with my fitting right now and wasn't sure if it would be within my price range. One of the biggest challenges for a newbie to MFD like myself is knowing exactly what is good value for a used back! I did have a thoroughly good look through that thread actually a week or so ago, but in the week since I've learned so much more that it's worth another look with my better grasp of the ecosystem as a whole :) so thank you for pointing me there.

Thank you both again, really appreciate the help.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 04:52:26 am »

Hi Josh, welcome on board!

In the UK you could start by talking to 2-3 good dealers and "spreading the word"...DDI, Peartree and Teamwork will all be able to help with advice and maybe some offers...

Good luck!
Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

joshcomley

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 04:59:29 am »

Hi Yair,

Thank you for the pointers, I notice you're a Phase One product manager, which gives me confidence in the links you gave!

I'll take a look through, see what I can find.

Thanks again,
Josh

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 05:56:58 am »

DDI has this P25+ for your Mamiya.

It's slightly over budget, but from what I've seen so far seems to be worth it. There's a thread about the H25 (same sensor) with some sample images.
Instagram (updated often)

joshcomley

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 07:51:26 am »

DDI has this P25+ for your Mamiya.

It's slightly over budget, but from what I've seen so far seems to be worth it. There's a thread about the H25 (same sensor) with some sample images.

Thanks for that - I think that is above budget right now, I'm fairly sure I can find it at a better price if I wait. However, patience is not a virtue of mine when it comes to wanting to shoot my new toys :) It does look like the P25+ would be a superb back; some of the shots from the H25 and P25 I've seen on GetDPI look incredible.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 07:54:42 am »

Thanks for that - I think that is above budget right now, I'm fairly sure I can find it at a better price if I wait. However, patience is not a virtue of mine when it comes to wanting to shoot my new toys :) It does look like the P25+ would be a superb back; some of the shots from the H25 and P25 I've seen on GetDPI look incredible.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Leaf-Aptus-22-Digital-Back-for-Mamiya-Phase-One-/152177310102?hash=item236e797996:g:cbgAAOSwtnpXigt4
Maybe it's your lucky day. :)

joshcomley

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 08:50:56 am »

Ah man, that is tempting. The only thing holding me back is I had the opportunity to buy an Aptus 22 yesterday for £500 less, but Hasselblad fit! I was confused about fittings, as I thought the 645 AFD III could handle all sorts of fittings. For the extra £500 I could almost buy a Hasselblad body of some kind *and* the 22 from yesterday!

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 09:09:06 am »

Hasselblad H1 or H2 are quite similar to the Mamiya 645 series in terms of the feature set, but several people consider their ergonomics superior.
H3 onwards, the back and body are mated together, which means you cannot upgrade them separately (On the most parts).

I was in the same boat as you for months before I made my purchase. One reason I went for the Mamiya body was because with the Hasselblad, I was limited to a 1/800 top shutterspeed and also because additional lenses will cost a lot more, even when used. With the Mamiya, one can get film era AF lenses for only a few hundreds each and they work astonishingly well with all but the highest MP backs.

Theodoros

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 09:52:30 am »

I would agree for you to sell your Mamiya body and go for an alternative platform instead... If not anything else to convince you, is to look for at S/H prices... there is a reason behind S/H prices that has never proved wrong through the years... staying with the platform it will lead for you to purchase additional equipment that will also be undervalued in the future and it will lead in a point where you'll be trapped with it, but unable to run away from the trap anymore... The sooner that one avoids a trap, the more financially harming it gets... Just look how much cheaper you can buy a P1 or Leaf back for M645 fit than if it is for other platform... Can you understand why?  It is simply because your back won't be supported anymore if you try to upgrade your body and your body is the least capable out of all alternative platforms one may have...

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 10:30:48 am »

Theo, can you please take your anti PhaseOne agenda elsewhere? There are a thousand other threads to pollute without confusing someone just getting into MF. To go by your own advise, since you own nothing from Mamiya, please sit this one out as there is nothing useful you can add here. And please stop with the outright lies.

For one, the reason why Mamiya mount backs are cheaper than say, contax mount or Hasselblad V mount in general is because of good old supply and demand. There are far more Mamiya mount backs out there than those two mounts. Hasselblad H mount backs are actually a bit cheaper, going by the current market prices, but not by much. AFi/ Hy6 mount leaf backs are very rare to come by these days because current owners do not want to part ways with them, which makes them perhaps the most expensive (And the least amount made).

OP: Please ignore the rest of the fearmongering in that post. Here is the ACTUAL compatibility list for your sake.

- Your AFD III will work with Leaf Aptus, Aptus II and Phaseone P, P+ backs (In your pricerange). Phaseone IQ 1and 2 and Leaf Credo backs will also work with it, if you want to upgrade. That's close to a dozen backs (Many of them current)you can upgrade to for quite some time. It will also work with Mamiya film backs.

- Phase One IQ3 backs will not work with your body, but if you are going to invest 40K in a back, might as well drop another 7k and get a new body to go with it.

- Similarly, the Phase One XF body will not work with an Aptus or P series back, but ask yourself if you will upgrade to a 7K body for a 2K back at any point of time.

- Your body does not support the Schneider Kreuznach leaf shutter lenses for the M645 platform. You will need to get a Mamiya 645DF or DF+ for that. I personally own and use a DF+ which I find quite capable for my purposes. I can share image samples at request, unlike fearmongers who do not ever post images. You can find these used nowadays at quite decent prices (Especially after the launch of the XF). Every lens you buy for the AFD III will also work on the DF/ DF+ along with the leaf shutter lenses.

On the Hasselblad side,

- An H1 or H2 will let you use an Aptus or P series back made in the H mount. You can independently upgrade back and body with this combo. You can also use film backs. The H2D comes with a mated back that cannot be independently upgraded (IIRC).

- H3 series are back and body mated. You cannot individually upgrade these, but at lease one poster here has used an H3 series back on an H4 series body and it worked.

- You get something called Trufocus with the H4 series bodies, which is quite good for portraiture applications. H4 series cameras come in two flavors, one with a mated back (Which cannot be upgraded independently) and something called H4X, which will allow you to use third party backs. Phase One P, IQ 1and2 and Leaf  Credo backs will work with it. Aptus I and II series backs will not work and there has been a long and documented story about this with Hasselblad and Leaf blaming each other for the incompatibility, with no clear answer.

- The newer Hasselblad bodies are out of the current budget that you#re working with.

These two are realistically, the only two systems one should get into in 2016. Everything else (Contax, Hy6/AFi, Hasselblad V) are out of production and even though they might offer some unique features, a dead system is a dead system.

Now Knowing Theodoros, he will bark and froth in this thread until every single person who has said anything positive about Mamiya/ PhaseOne admits that they are wrong and walks away. (Just FYI, he does not own anything from Mamiya, has never owned anything from Mamiya and only exists in this forum to express his intense displeasure at products that come from the Mamiya Phase One camp). So in order to not derail your thread, I will not be posting here anymore. If you have any additional questions, please PM me and I will do my best to answer them.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 10:36:51 am by synn »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 11:37:59 am »

Let's avoid thread hijacking to another Theo vs. Synn diatribe.
Should you continue in this vein, I will lock the thread

Theodoros

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 01:27:05 pm »

Let's avoid thread hijacking to another Theo vs. Synn diatribe.
Should you continue in this vein, I will lock the thread

Hi Chris... I never quoted or answered Synn's comments... I only answered to the O/P requirement with a fully supported (with market evidence) comment... I also never used Synn's name in one of my comments nor I ever do for anybody... The fact that he is not in my ignore list as he is with so many other members of the forum, is purely because I don't have anybody in my ignore list.  So I don't see why you made this statement... I only reply to the receiver of my posts and thus only to the O/P in this discussion... Synn's intentions don't concern me nor I believe anybody else in this forum...

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 02:50:08 pm »

Occasionally while walking my dogs - two rather docile Labs - I pass a chain-linked fence behind which are two highly aggressive and territorial German Shepherds.
They rush up and down the fence snarling, barking and generally making themselves as unpleasant as possible.
I talk my guys down a bit and they accept the nonsense and we continue our walk. We have got quite used to the reception - it is absolutely predictable.

However some days I tire of the noise & aggression and take another route. Yes, I have the right to walk where I please along public roads but sometimes the world is a quieter and better place when I avoid the reaction I know will occur.

As Schewe says: "Just sayin...'"

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 04:50:07 pm »

Hi Chris,

Would be nice to see some new stuff with Jeff.

Best regards
Erik

Occasionally while walking my dogs - two rather docile Labs - I pass a chain-linked fence behind which are two highly aggressive and territorial German Shepherds.
They rush up and down the fence snarling, barking and generally making themselves as unpleasant as possible.
I talk my guys down a bit and they accept the nonsense and we continue our walk. We have got quite used to the reception - it is absolutely predictable.

However some days I tire of the noise & aggression and take another route. Yes, I have the right to walk where I please along public roads but sometimes the world is a quieter and better place when I avoid the reaction I know will occur.

As Schewe says: "Just sayin...'"
Erik Kaffehr

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 07:26:17 pm »

- H3 series are back and body mated. You cannot individually upgrade these, but at lease one poster here has used an H3 series back on an H4 series body and it worked.
Do you know the specifics of this? I have the H3DII-39 and would like to use an H4D body to get Truefocus.

Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 09:05:22 pm »

Do you know the specifics of this? I have the H3DII-39 and would like to use an H4D body to get Truefocus.

I don't usually get on well with the gentleman who posted the compatibility list, but I think he's provided good information. I don't share his opinion about fellow posters.

There's a post by Steve Hendrix or Doug Peterson about the Hassies, probably Steve, someone may have it handy. BTW, both Steve and Doug sell used stuff, especially Phase backs, and nobody has ever complained about them. Both are very helpful.

Here is a UK dealer in used Phase and Hassy/ If it were me, I would resell the Mamiya and get a Hassy body, either all Hassy or with a Phase back, if you really love C1. The Phase backs are nice, the Mamiya bodies less so. The Hassy backs are good, but they don't do C1 which some really like.

http://procentre.co.uk/sales-secondhand-hasselblad-h-system.php
http://procentre.co.uk/sales-secondhand-medium-format-digital.php

Edmund
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 09:15:13 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up