Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lr6: Panorama limits, memory requirements  (Read 3179 times)

dreed

Lr6: Panorama limits, memory requirements
« on: July 23, 2016, 02:39:53 pm »

I've got a couple of large panoramas I'm trying to stitch (20-30 x 20MP) and in both Lr6(CC) & ACR, I get "error processing image" - not run out of disk space or ram. Previews work but final render does not.

Is there a limit to how big LR/ACR will render a panorama? I've seen mention of 512MP elsewhere?

What are the requirements for RAM? Is it 1GB of RAM for 5MP of image? Or..?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Lr6: Panorama limits, memory requirements
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 02:47:33 pm »

I would bet that if you are trying to render 30 (20MP 16 bit files) you have run out of ram, just a guess.  If they are 16 bit, have you tried dropping them to 8 just to see if it will run?

The largest pano I have run in 10 (100MP) files in LR all verticals, in 16 bit, took about 4.5 minutes but did finish. 

If you are having the same problem in Photoshop CC, you can give it more ram to use under preferences which might help. 

Might also look at Ptgui or Kolor's app, as they can handle the larger panos especially Kolor as they have the gigapan app.  Both allow trials.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

dreed

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 01:31:35 am »

Might also look at Ptgui or Kolor's app, as they can handle the larger panos especially Kolor as they have the gigapan app.  Both allow trials.

Yeah, PtGui works, no problem there but the result is a TIFF, not a DNG.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 05:50:28 am »

The largest I have tried (and succeeded) was a 25 shot panorama from 24 MP (14 bit) images in Lightroom 6.
The resulting dng file was 0,98 GB and 53409 x 6143 pixels

It took some time to process, but after having a coffee, and another coffee, .....  it worked.
pieter, aka pegelli

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 11:48:24 am »

I have recently tried two panoramas in LR. One was 11 shots, the other 7 shots (from Sony A7). It was so slow I gave up.

Used Panorama Factory instead, great little program that I have been using for 10 years or so.

Alistair

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 03:13:03 pm »

The limit is 512mp or 65,000 pixels on one side. But if you are getting a preview it sounds like you are not running into that limit. How much RAM do you have?
Alistair

Stephane Desnault

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 04:39:57 am »

Yeah, PtGui works, no problem there but the result is a TIFF, not a DNG.

Autopano from Kolor allows you to work in full HDR, and create .hdr or .exr files - in theory at least you should get as much information as in a .dng - and even above that if you shoot bracketed.

I shoot 360s, and where HDR needed my workflow today is:

1/ Shoot NEF bracketed appropriately to cover the dynamic range
2/ Export JPGs from LR, where I choose the appropriate color balance and correct distorsion / vignetting
3/ Batch-Merge JPGs to .EXR HDR in Photomatix (that step is basically "fully automatic" - there is NO ADJUSTMENTS to make at this point)
4/ Create .EXR 360 panorama in Autopano (from Kolor)
5/ Tonemap in Photomatix to 16 bits TIFF
6/ Adjust locally in Lightroom to taste (doging and burning, adding contrast / clarity...)

If time is a constraint, I somehow simplify the workflow by tonemapping to TIFF in Photomatix at step 3/ above - the remaining steps are then much faster - and of course step /5 goes away.

I use Photomatix for HDR rather than LR or PS because it gives me much more control as well as a great batch mode. I can do much more, more precisely, in much less time.

I HAVE to use Autopano for panoramas, as it does build full 360*180 panos (full spheres) something that LR and PS don't (yet?) do.

You can see a recent example of the full workflow at :

https://www.360cities.net/image/modest-but-cosy-interior-in-versailles

dreed

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 06:52:50 am »

Used Panorama Factory instead, great little program that I have been using for 10 years or so.

Nice looking app except that it doesn't do 16bit color channels on output, only 8. And it doesn't use raw input or DNG input or DNG output.
Pages: [1]   Go Up