Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Avoiding dust

(1/2) > >>

David Eckels:
I am looking for tips on avoiding dust, which leaves tiny white spots here and there on my roll paper prints. All it takes is one in a critical place to spoil a large print. I have a hepa/ionic filter fan going in the studio, which helps some, but I am hoping there is a way to clean the paper's surface just before printing. If this has been addressed in a prior post, I would appreciate a link. Searching "print dust" turned up nothing relevant. Thanks in advance!

howardm:
I always use cotton or nitrile gloves, brush w/ a drafters brush and then canned air.

I know a guy who uses a commercial dust 'roller'

Mark Lindquist:
Depending on what printer and paper you're using a cowl helps.  If no cowl, a sheet of plastic over the roll would work.

I had a design for a modified vacuum brush made from shop vac parts and hooked to the vacuum system positioned so that the paper would pass just under it before entering the printer, brush lightly touching the surface, but I never made it.

If I have a roll I'm having issues with I will roll it out on a table in front of the printer, brush it first, use some air as discussed in the previous post, then roll it back in.

With sheets, I usually tap them on edge on a table a few times before loading.

Benny Profane:
B&W?

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Vanishing-art-of-How-to-Spot-That-means-retouc/

Slobodan Blagojevic:

--- Quote from: David Eckels on July 22, 2016, 02:08:46 pm ---I am looking for tips on avoiding dust...

--- End quote ---

Have you considered moving out of Arizona?  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version