Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mesa Arch glowing  (Read 4179 times)

Stephen Ray

Re: Mesa Arch glowing
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 02:34:55 am »

I agree with Slobodan…

Simply crop to a 1x3 ratio and MANY problems are relieved.

1) The gestalt of “natural arches may be windows to a view” is now used to advantage. 

2) All distractions are eliminated.

3) MUCH more balanced.

4) The new ratio will fit nicely behind a sofa or desk.

…just my opinion of some of the aesthetics.

My opinion of some of the technicalities would be the foreground is soft and it shouldn’t be. Also, my opinion of the Fibonacci spiral, as used earlier in the thread, was stretched FAR beyond it’s mythical usefulness.

hubell

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 10:54:36 am »

Nice take on an iconic scene of the Southwest. I know from experience that the contrast range is quite extreme, so it appears that multiple exposure were blended together. If so, I am curious about what you used. It is tastefully done.

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 05:36:42 pm »

I did enjoy it, thanks.  I don't know exactly when I'll go.  Typically the domestic trips fit in opportunistically since they can be planned a little easier last minute.

Makes sense Slim - for me, on the other hand, coming from the other side of the world for a WS I need to program and plan much in advance...  :D

I agree with Slobodan…

Simply crop to a 1x3 ratio and MANY problems are relieved.

1) The gestalt of “natural arches may be windows to a view” is now used to advantage. 

2) All distractions are eliminated.

3) MUCH more balanced.

4) The new ratio will fit nicely behind a sofa or desk.

…just my opinion of some of the aesthetics.

My opinion of some of the technicalities would be the foreground is soft and it shouldn’t be. Also, my opinion of the Fibonacci spiral, as used earlier in the thread, was stretched FAR beyond it’s mythical usefulness.

Sorry, but I disagree with pretty much everything you suggested, and I am going to keep it the way it is. I guess different strokes for different folks :D Thanks for chiming in though!

Nice take on an iconic scene of the Southwest. I know from experience that the contrast range is quite extreme, so it appears that multiple exposure were blended together. If so, I am curious about what you used. It is tastefully done.

Thank you very much hubell, glad you enjoyed it :D About the exposure, it was actually a single exposure, not a blending - actually, blending is something I never do, I prefer to use filters at the time of shooting, and work on a single file. Here if I recall correctly I didn't use Grad NDs, just a polariser.

Best,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up