Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Down

Author Topic: And so it continues....  (Read 59719 times)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: And so it continues....
« Reply #300 on: July 29, 2016, 12:33:59 pm »

The rest of the story and the whole video of the incident here.

Love it. And (luckily) not a shot fired.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

D76

« Reply #301 on: July 29, 2016, 01:08:09 pm »

It's hard to keep my keyboard silent on this.  I lurk on this site because it has so much to offer on techniques, professional opinions and the current state of the imaging industry which thrills me.  For all that I've learned and gleaned from you people, I am deeply grateful.  I'm not a professional; I am purely an amateur who has a degree from a little college of photography in Santa Barbara from a long time ago - and have pursued photography and printing for 40+ years... all for my own, personal satisfaction.  But here in the Coffee Corner we have an emotional thread about gun violence, gun control and the socio-political culture of America in regards to those issues.  This I am acquainted with on a professional level.

What I am is Law Enforcement.  I am an Armorer/Gunsmith for a major police agency in Northern California.  And I have been for almost 3 decades (after 12 years of military service).  And my state is one of those benchmark governments who try to pass as much gun restriction as the Court and the public can endure.  In fact, our Governor just signed 6 more bills into law to further restrict everything from ammunition sales to the sale of newly-designated "assault rifles."  Now we could sit here and re-argue every philosophical point in the book about whether gun ownership is bad, is good, is stupid, or whatever.  That's an endless circle anymore.  The two opposing sides in this country are mentally entrenched with debate impossible.  So I'm not going to.

What I will tell you, and I think I pretty much reflect the opinions of my colleagues in this state, is that the laws we are passing have absolutely no effect on our safety, on crime, or on gun violence in California whatsoever.  All the new laws do is limit the access to firearms and ammunition to good citizens who do not commit the crimes that generated these new restrictions to start with.  The ever-growing volume of gun prohibitions in this state have done nothing more than punish everyone BUT the criminals who deserve it.  And since 1989 and the Roberti-Roos Assault Rifle Act they haven't had any measurable affect on violent crime rates in this state, either.  Making the AR15 style rifle illegal will never impede a criminal or vicious person from getting one; ammunition restrictions will never prevent him/her from loading up that rifle, either.  As a law enforcement member, I would like to see a change of tactic in our legislatures... and that would be punishing the criminals who use firearms to victimize the rest of the country.  And do it severely... without applying another ponderous set of regulations on a hundred million gun owners in this country.

This is but my humble opinion so take it as you will.  In fifteen months I retire and most of my shooting will be with my cameras at that point.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #302 on: July 29, 2016, 01:20:51 pm »

What I will tell you, and I think I pretty much reflect the opinions of my colleagues in this state, is that the laws we are passing have absolutely no effect on our safety, on crime, or on gun violence in California whatsoever.
What did?

http://www.msnbc.com/all/california-did-tough-gun-control-laws-cut

Gun violence across California dropped 56% from 5,500 gun deaths in 1993 to 2,935 in 2010, according to the study, which took into account California’s expanded population from about 30 to 37 million people over the same period.

http://www.factcheck.org/2015/10/gun-laws-deaths-and-crimes/
The 10 states with the lowest firearm age-adjusted death rates were, starting with the lowest: Hawaii (2.6), Massachusetts (3.1), New York (4.2), Connecticut (4.4), Rhode Island (5.3), New Jersey (5.7), New Hampshire (6.4), Minnesota (7.6), California (7.7) and Iowa (8.0).

Guns are expected to surpass car crashes for the number of American deaths caused in 2015. In 2013, there were 33,636 Americans killed by guns versus 33, 782 fatal crashes.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #303 on: July 29, 2016, 01:31:28 pm »

One factor affecting gun deaths everywhere is medical advances over the years, i.e., improved ability to save the wounded.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #304 on: July 29, 2016, 01:45:59 pm »

...Minnesota (7.6), California (7.7) and Iowa (8.0)...

And yet, both states close to California's rate have rather non-restrictive gun laws.

D76

« Reply #305 on: July 29, 2016, 02:06:38 pm »

What did?

During those dates, crime rates went down nationwide - not just in Cali.  It was a general trend.  And some of that has to do with an aging population, medical care and the way the FBI stats were compiled at the time.  What I am saying is most of the laws passed in California affected ownership of AR15 and SKS pattern rifles; and those are firearms that are very rarely used in crimes. If we had not passed those laws from 1989 forward, I think the gun death rates would have remained the same (or very close).

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #306 on: July 29, 2016, 02:17:08 pm »

One factor affecting gun deaths everywhere is medical advances over the years, i.e., improved ability to save the wounded.

Correct, and the decline in suicides (many of which executed with a gun, if readily available) also brings down the totals. That's why I prefer to split the numbers up for more insight, and also show the firearm injuries (many more than deaths).

And to "D76", I have huge respect for the complex job that police officers have to do and the difficult circumstances (more so in some countries than others) that they have to do that job in. However, I'd imagine that it would produce a lot less stress knowing that the average person in the street (or in domestic disturbance cases) does not carry a weapon, or even a gun. And reduced stress also means fewer accidents.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Up