Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: And so it continues....  (Read 59511 times)

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Re: And so it continues....
« Reply #260 on: July 28, 2016, 07:25:09 am »

These are two separate questions.

As to the former: the very first step when trying to understand anything is to call a spade a spade.

Oh dear - I sense a thread-lock is impending.....

Jim

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #261 on: July 28, 2016, 07:48:49 am »

Long overdue.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #262 on: July 28, 2016, 09:11:47 am »

...  It was already stationary when the fatal shots were fired...

OMG, did you just admit that French cops shot an unarmed man after he stopped resisting!?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #263 on: July 28, 2016, 09:13:48 am »

But not the type of guns that might be taken by civilians to an event like this (if it would have been allowed like in the US)

This is how civilians come to an event here:

Rob C

« Reply #264 on: July 28, 2016, 09:21:38 am »

OMG, did you just admit that French cops shot an unarmed man after he stopped resisting!?

According to at least one update on France24 he got out of the truck firing.

Rob

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #265 on: July 28, 2016, 09:24:05 am »

While I hate censorship, I hope it will ASAP.
Luminous Landscape Forum> The Art of Photography> The Coffee Corner
WTF has this got to do with art, photography or anything but two (or more) sides that will never come to agreement. Pointless.
Better time spent arguing Mac vs. PC, Nikon vs. Canon, Pacific Ocean vs. Atlantic etc. Even coffee vs. tea! At least some of that involves facts and science. Time to move on and hit the 'don't notify' button.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rob C

« Reply #266 on: July 28, 2016, 09:26:35 am »

This is how civilians come to an event here:

Slobodan, I can only say I find such images redolent of insanity.

I hope it never catches on over here. Can you imagine all those cowboys trying to be heroes at the same time? Holy shit. Who'd need the bad guys?

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #267 on: July 28, 2016, 09:36:24 am »

Slobodan, I can only say I find such images redolent of insanity.

I hope it never catches on over here. Can you imagine all those cowboys trying to be heroes at the same time? Holy shit. Who'd need the bad guys?

Have you noticed that those events, known to turn violent when Bernie Jugend attacked such rallies before, remained peaceful? I wonder why ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #268 on: July 28, 2016, 09:39:58 am »

... WTF has this got to do with art, photography...

"A forum for open discussion of both photographic and non-photographic topics of a general nature"

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #269 on: July 28, 2016, 09:47:56 am »

Russ, why do you always bring up the "other extreme" if we don't agree with your ideas. There's plenty of middle ground between arming every civilian and throwing up your hands and surrendering.

Okay Pieter, I'll try to answer your question(s). What do you mean by "the other extreme?" Are you admitting that your position is extreme? In my estimation, it is. The idea that a society should disarm its members is clearly extreme. The people trying to kill you will ALWAYS find a way to arm themselves. You say "we." Do you mean Pieter? Who else is included in "we?" Finally, I'll ask you again: what do you mean by a middle ground? If somebody's trying to kill you you have two choices: kill him or die. Where's the middle ground? Sooner of later the people of Belgium are going to be faced with those alternatives. It's probably not going to happen in my lifetime, but you're 27 years younger and I'll guarantee it's going to happen in your lifetime.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #270 on: July 28, 2016, 09:52:05 am »

While I hate censorship, I hope it will ASAP.
Luminous Landscape Forum> The Art of Photography> The Coffee Corner
WTF has this got to do with art, photography or anything but two (or more) sides that will never come to agreement. Pointless.
Better time spent arguing Mac vs. PC, Nikon vs. Canon, Pacific Ocean vs. Atlantic etc. Even coffee vs. tea! At least some of that involves facts and science. Time to move on and hit the 'don't notify' button.

+1

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #271 on: July 28, 2016, 10:14:34 am »

The immature reaction is highly insensitive and shows no respect for the casualties and their family. Not sure why you'd find this is funny, but it would explain some of the earlier comments; apparently you're not interested in a serious discussion, just an attempt of cheap scoring of points.

Some reports say he was shooting back, some say he briefly even got out of the cabin shooting. It was also not known if the truck was filled with explosives.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #272 on: July 28, 2016, 11:23:28 am »

The immature reaction is highly insensitive and shows no respect for the casualties and their family. Not sure why you'd find this is funny, but it would explain some of the earlier comments; apparently you're not interested in a serious discussion, just an attempt of cheap scoring of points....

Bart, this is the third time you et al resort to moral shaming when presented with arguments. When you do not like points presented, you labeled them "cheap" and "disrespectful." Let alone labeling me "immature" or worse. I am starting to resent that.

I presented so far plenty of reasoned arguments, supported by sources, that go beyond the knee-jerk reaction and superficial reading of headlines or stats, so typical for your side of the argument, from people who never set foot to the States, let alone lived here.

Most of those arguments you et al chose to ignore. When repeated (far less frequently than the other side repeats theirs) I am scorned for repetitiveness.

If you do not understand the point I am making with sarcasm, ask for clarification. In this particular case, it was simply mocking the way accidental shootings by cops here are interpreted by you et al. It is always a sign of "deeper" issues, "systemic racism," "cops out of control," etc., never justified or accidental.

For the record, I applaud the French cops who took out the SOB.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #273 on: July 28, 2016, 11:31:09 am »

Okay Pieter, I'll try to answer your question(s). What do you mean by "the other extreme?" Are you admitting that your position is extreme? In my estimation, it is. The idea that a society should disarm its members is clearly extreme. The people trying to kill you will ALWAYS find a way to arm themselves. You say "we." Do you mean Pieter? Who else is included in "we?" Finally, I'll ask you again: what do you mean by a middle ground? If somebody's trying to kill you you have two choices: kill him or die. Where's the middle ground? Sooner of later the people of Belgium are going to be faced with those alternatives. It's probably not going to happen in my lifetime, but you're 27 years younger and I'll guarantee it's going to happen in your lifetime.
OK, thanks Russ. Thanks for pointing out the mistake; "we" in my earlier post needs to be "I". However you didn't say why you always choose the "other extreme" as I call it. I  think it's a bad debating technique if you want to achieve some common understanding, and I'll explain what I mean by that below. 
Your position is everybody should be free to arm himself so one can defend oneself in case a bad guy comes at you with a truck/knife/gun/bomb/ etc. However I don't agree with that (I think this cure is worse then the ailment) and then your response is what I call blaming me for the "other extreme" position i.e that you suggest that the only thing that can happen short of arming all civilians is surrender, throw up your arms and get killed. However I never said that, so it's pure speculation from your side.
What I mean by middle ground is that during events like these there should be sufficient trained armed guards/policemen available spread out over the area to neutralize a killer, they set up road blocks (as they should have done in Nice) so a truck/car can't enter a pedestrian zone and take other diligent anti-terrorism measures. So no, I won't throw up my arms, surrender and get killed, if security forces are around I expect they will get this guy before he gets me. I know it ain't perfect and they can't be everywhere at once, but even with good guy gun carriers around in the US still innocent people get killed, so that system ain't perfect either. Which scenario will play out better is depending on the specific circumstances at the event, but I don't think one is fundamentally different in effectiveness vs. the other.
You'll probably disagree and that's fine, but my main point is that there's a lot of possibilities between plenty armed civilians versus desperately surrendering because of lack of options. So when you don't agree with someone else's position don't ridicule it to the extreme, since that's usually not what the other person had in mind.
pieter, aka pegelli

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #274 on: July 28, 2016, 12:23:31 pm »

Bart, this is the third time you et al resort to moral shaming when presented with arguments.

Slobodan, not all are arguments, but misplaced (as you call it) 'Sarcasm'.

When you do not like points presented, you labeled them "cheap" and "disrespectful." Let alone labeling me "immature" or worse. I am starting to resent that.

Then maybe consider to stop provoking such qualifications, and engage in an honest discussion, or not.

I presented so far plenty of reasoned arguments, supported by sources, that go beyond the knee-jerk reaction and superficial reading of headlines or stats, so typical for your side of the argument, from people who never set foot to the States, let alone lived here.

There we go again. So people who have never set foot in the USA, are not capable of forming an opinion based on a variety of sources (or even the same sources as we rarely are eye-witnesses ourselves)? And even those who have set foot, should have lived there before being able to form an opinion? Is that what you are saying? I don't mind if people who have never set foot outside of the USA have an opinion of 'Europe' (and make clear what they mean by that), because that gives an opportunity to correct the wrong assumptions. One might even learn something.

Most of those arguments you et al chose to ignore.

Sure, if they are only meant to derail the discussion, or make no sense at all except from a bigoted (either sincere or as Devils Advocate) point of view. The comments that did make sense were mostly responded to as far as I followed it, although I do not necessarily agree with all responses from what you call "et al" (who ever that may be to you).

When repeated (far less frequently than the other side repeats theirs) I am scorned for repetitiveness

I wouldn't know, but if the remarks were not contributing to furthering the discussion, it makes little sense to repeat them. If you really think you have a point, then it should be open for debate, but then it might need a better presentation than in the shape of an uncommented link that's (deliberately) open to interpretation. People can get tired having to guess what's being suggested.

If you do not understand the point I am making with sarcasm, ask for clarification.

Maybe a suggestion. Placing mostly sarcastic replies gets a bit tiresome.

In this particular case, it was simply mocking the way accidental shootings by cops here are interpreted by you et al. It is always a sign of "deeper" issues, "systemic racism," "cops out of control," etc., never justified or accidental.

Which would be an interesting topic for discussion on its own, if you were not comparing e.g. a man on the ground with his arms raised in the air still being shot (and the policeman reacting that he didn't know why he shot), with police officers who risk their lives in an attempt to stop a potential terrorist. It's such non-nonsensical comparisons that suggests that you do not take the matters or those contributing to the discussion serious.

For the record, I applaud the French cops who took out the SOB.

Yes, they were very brave, and had to do the inevitable. Not because they were trigger happy or preconditioned to expect the worst and shoot first then ask, but because there was no other way.

Listen, I know that we are not going to solve the issues of the world in these threads, so I at least try and use the opportunity to learn about some of the other positions, or inform about my point of view. Who knows, there might be an argument that makes some sense.

Polarization and Isolation is not an honest answer to uncertainty, it's demagogy, we also saw what happened just after the Brexit referendum. People who have worked very hard to contribute to British society, where told by people in the street or on public transportation to get out of the country, purely based on ethnicity. Primitive sentiments.

I can only hope that that is not the prevailing level of discourse on LuLa.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. In the light of this discussion a potentially interesting movie tip: My name is Kahn.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:38:44 pm by BartvanderWolf »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #275 on: July 28, 2016, 12:36:36 pm »

... bigoted...
... use the opportunity to learn...

You can't help using labels of mass destruction and that condescending tone, can you?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #276 on: July 28, 2016, 12:43:14 pm »

You can't help using labels of mass destruction and that condescending tone, can you?

I learn something new every day, and hope to do a lot more of that. I can recommend it.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #277 on: July 28, 2016, 12:50:48 pm »

And the senseless killing continues:
http://abc7chicago.com/news/2-killed-2-shot-in-back-of-the-yards;-witness-suffers-fatal-asthma-attack/1446695/

An argument over a parking spot, settled with guns.

I'm just calling it as it is. Lunacy. More guns kill and hurt more people.

Cheers,
Bart

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #278 on: July 28, 2016, 12:58:36 pm »

... An argument over a parking spot, settled with guns...

You make it sound so innocent... while failing to mention that it is another gang-related, black-on-black violence, in a ghetto, committed with illegal guns.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #279 on: July 28, 2016, 01:07:37 pm »

You make it sound so innocent... while failing to mention that it is another gang-related, black-on-black violence, in a ghetto, committed with illegal guns.

Source? Maybe not the best of neighborhoods, don't know, but gang-related (or is that a premature assumption based on the neighborhood and that some involved were linked to belonging to a gang, same gang, different gangs)? Black-on-black, I wouldn't know, Illegal guns, dunno, can't guns be had legally in the USA?

If you do a bit of soul searching, aren't you presuming a bit too much instead of basing judgements/qualifications on facts (I couldn't find any, maybe you can?), and thereby risk stereotyping parts of the population?

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 01:39:43 pm by BartvanderWolf »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up