Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Italy Planning - Where to?  (Read 2882 times)

dwswager

Italy Planning - Where to?
« on: July 21, 2016, 02:41:16 pm »

We are in the early negotiations/planning phase for a 12-14 day trip to Italy.  Having never been to Italy, I know only the historic landmark or relatively famous natural sites around which to plan this trip.  We are planning to go late spring or early summer.   Assuming I wish to get the best initial cultural and photographic experience what type of itinerary would you recommend?  What specific sites as a 1st timer should we see?  Any other hints, tips or references would be most welcome.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Italy Planning - Where to?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 07:54:27 pm »

When I retired from teaching on 2005, my wife and I took our first trip to Italy. We had six weeks, in April and May of 2006, and we decided to concentrate on Tuscany with a little bit of Umbria. We started out with a few days in Florence, which is a fantastic city, beautiful, walkable,  with great museums and churches (and food and wine). Then we got a rental car and hit the countryside, staying at a variety of Agro Turismos (farms that function as Bed and Breakfasts).

The Chianti region was one of my favorites. Also Assisi, the many walled hill towns, and the spectacular village of Castelluccio among the Sibillini mountains in Umbria.

We had intended to do a fair amount of hiking, and our principal guide book was called something like "Hiking and Eating in Tuscany and Umbria," but we ended up doing more eating than hiking.

I would love to go back, next time probably in the fall. I'd also like to get to Venice, Rome, and Sicily some year, too.

-Eric

P,S, Some of my photos from the trip are on my website, here and here and here.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 07:47:13 am »

My advice would be similar to Paul's. Rome, then Florence. Rent a car to explore Tuscany (the tower at Pisa, dawn in the Val d'Orcia, S Gimignano) though I'd suggest Siena as a base. Finally take the train to Venice. Then start figuring out how soon you can make a second trip.

stever

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 11:49:30 pm »

rule #1 - avoid Europe (particularly France and Spain) between June 15 and Sept 15 (in May expect to share the attractions of Florence and Rome with 50% of all European high school students).

there are lots of fantastic places to go in Italy with incredible landscapes, ruins, people, markets, food (north better than south).

although all of my trips to Italy have been pretty much self-drive (better today with GPS but not still not without adventure), I'd have to recommend an organized tour with your limited time if your primary interest is major sights - Rome, Venice, Florence - today the logistics are pretty overwhelming.  Road Scholar is very good value (usually the same local operators and guides as the high end agents) with reasonable size (less than 18) groups - there are also a couple small (less than 200 passengers) cruises.  The downside is that you won't get the time and flexibility to get the photos you want.

If you have other interests, the Lakes District is lovely. The south including Naples, Pompey, Amalfi Coast (somewhat overrated in my opinion and absolutely to be avoided in tourist season), and Sicily.  Italy is really wonderful.

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 04:30:49 pm »

Don't forget Bergamo (upper town), Mantua and Urbino.

mshea

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 10:39:11 pm »

Try to include Verona in your itinerary. It's a beautiful small city that will still have its share of tourists, but it won't be so overwhelmingly mobbed at that time of year, compared to the three major "must do" cities. And it's a hop skip jump from there to the incredible Dolomite Mountains.

Merrill

andaremos

• Andaremos
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 12:35:41 pm »

Another vote for Verona over here.
Flying into Milan allows you to take advantage of the wonderful main train route of Milan-Verona-Padova-Venezia.
There is so much to see that you can't do it in 15 days.
Maybe focus on the north side.
That should keep train and bus rides short and sweet.
I visited at the end of May a few years ago and the heat in Firenze and Tuscany was unbearable.
The fall light is fantastic for photography.

- Eduardo
www.andaremos.com - Travel and Nature Photography

Petrus

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 12:49:39 pm »

Venice is not a "landscape city", but every photo enthusiast should go there, preferably during The Carnival. Or during the Biennale. Or just any time, really. Main walkways might be crowded, but just step a block away and you are practically alone (or with a dear friend or colleague, in a pinch even a spouse will do ).

Another favorite place of mine is the Dolomiti di Brenta. Via ferrata hiking/climbing with amazing photo opportunities. If you have the head for heights and are nimble enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up