Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High Quality Monitors For Critical Color Control  (Read 14206 times)

jcurzon

High Quality Monitors For Critical Color Control
« on: June 07, 2006, 10:06:49 pm »

My previously calibrated LCD monitor has gone bad and needs to be replaced (it was an upper-end Samsung model, purchased 3 years back).  My demand for precise color management is greater now, as I am working on a project that will require quality softproofing within Photoshop for a 4-color, offset print press.

After eliminating the new $6500 NEC spectraview wide-gamut LCD, and seeking a more economical CRT solution like the Sony Artisan, I found that not only is the Artisan no longer available, but that no comparable CRT monitor of any sort is available.  I'm used to LCD monitors, and would prefer one all else being equal, but I'm looking for a new level of color control that seems unreachable in the LCD realm without spending 6 grand.

I'm doing my best to research options on the web, but would appreciate any feedback here.  Am I missing some options on the market, or is the situation really thus?  What is out there for $2000 or less that is adequate for this level of color control (if anything)?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

joel.

David White

• http://
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 10:55:08 pm »

I'm in the same boat, except it is my CRT that is going.  I can't get more than 72 cd out of it.  I've looked at all the options and it seems that unless you are willing to spend $5,000-$7,000 the monitors all have shortcomings.  I really want something in a 16:10 aspect ratio and 23"-24".

I was hoping that the new Eizo CE240W would fit the bill, but it seems like everyone is complaining about the uneven illumination across the display.

Looked at the Apple 23 ACD but saw lots of people still complaining about the pink cast and other problems.  Plus there is no support from Apple for Windows XP so i is not an option for me.

The Phillips 230W monitor series specs seemed decent, but I can't seem to find much in the way of comments from knowledgeable users about them and can't even find any in stock anywhere.

The Sony 234B comments and reviews seemed about evenly split between people that had proplems and those that were happy.  I'm undecided about this one.

The only other option that I was considering was the NEC 21" MultiSync LCD2190UXi (4:3 aspect ratio) but this would require a second monitor because I like to keep the palettes off the image in CS2 and other applications.  I'm not really happy about giving up more work area space for a second monitor which is why I would prefer a wide screen.

Anything out there in a 23"-24" that works well in a calibrated environment and doesn't require multiple exchanges to get a problem-free monitor without dead pixels or other problems?  Perhaps it is just the state of the art.  I've never had a problem with CRT's.  I will be happy to free up the real estate that my aging 21" CRT is taking up though.
David White

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 11:41:13 pm »

"The only other option that I was considering was the NEC 21" MultiSync LCD2190UXi (4:3 aspect ratio) but this would require a second monitor because I like to keep the palettes off the image in CS2 and other applications.  I'm not really happy about giving up more work area space for a second monitor which is why I would prefer a wide screen."

I talked with the NEC rep at the Epson Print Academy II, & she told me they have a wide version in the works.  (Sorry I can't find her card or remember her name!)  I expect to replace my LaCie CRT with one, if they work out as well as the 4:3 version.

jcurzon

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 12:15:33 am »

I'm certainly sympathetic to the desire for a larger monitor, for all the reasons that have been stated.  But color control is king, given the project I'm working on, and I'm willing to deal with the inconvenience of a smaller than ideal screen that meets highly exacting color control standards.  How does the NEC 21" model you talked about do on that score, I wonder?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 12:16:31 am by jcurzon »

oboguev

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 01:58:54 am »

23-24" when it is availbale may be problematic in a sense of color uniformity due to angular effects.

Also be sure what you are asking for, or you may just get it ;-)
While wide-screen monitor may sound nice, it puts much higher strain on the eyes since eye orbs have to move back and forth all the time. I shift daily between 20" monitor in the office and 21" monitor (NEC 2190) at home and even though the difference in screen size is just 1-1.5" and my 21" display sits further away on the desk than 20" one, the difference in eye load is noticeable. (But I do have and sometimes use dual-monitor configuration at home.)

If you absolutely need wide-screen display for color editing, have a look at Eizo CG220 (~ $5500).
Speaking of it, price issues aside, I would think twice about getting monitor with AdobeRGB gamut. You'd still have the same number of color gradations available (limited to 8-bit resolution in DVI interface and Windows GDI) but stretched over wider gamut, meaning minimum displayable adjustment may be too steep for some purposes. This may not matter much for let us say nature images, but can matter for skin tones in portraits for example.

Otherwise, best currently available monitors for color editing purposes are Eizo CG210/CG19 and NEC 2190/2090/1990.
They are pretty much head in head in terms of color accuracy.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 07:23:09 am »

I'm very happy with the new NEC 2090, although I don't claim to have a terribly critical eye.  FWIW, here's an interesting post regarding a recent Swedish test of monitors.  Hmmm... I can't make that dpr link work for some reason... oh well.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 07:29:41 am by Nill Toulme »

David White

• http://
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 11:41:13 am »

I finally gave up on the 23" widescreen because of problems with all of them.  I purchased the NEC LCD2190UXi and use a 17" lcd secondary monitorfor the pallets.  

It calibrates very nicely with the Eye-One Pro and is even across the screen.  I am not satisfied with the black level yet but am still working on that.
David White

bwana

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 01:39:07 pm »

I finally gave up on the 23" widescreen because of problems with all of them.  I purchased the NEC LCD2190UXi and use a 17" lcd secondary monitorfor the pallets. 

It calibrates very nicely with the Eye-One Pro and is even across the screen.  I am not satisfied with the black level yet but am still working on that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68877\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

samsung 244t has been good to me.

tbonanno

• Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 02:18:28 pm »

Hi Joel,

Like Nill and others here, I've come to the conclusion that the NEC 2190uxi (with its 12 bit LUT and IPS panel) is probably the sweet spot for critical color and will probably order one very soon as my CRT is getting long in the tooth.  Either the 2190 or possibly TWO smaller screens (2090 or 1990's).  Seem like there are a lot us with dying CRT's right now.  At least we seem to have some decent options with the newer LCD's.  A couple of years ago, I couldn't have said that.  Good luck with your decision..

Tony
Tony Bonanno Photography
ASMP Profession

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 04:29:06 am »

Hi Joel,

Like Nill and others here, I've come to the conclusion that the NEC 2190uxi (with its 12 bit LUT and IPS panel) is probably the sweet spot for critical color and will probably order one very soon as my CRT is getting long in the tooth.  Either the 2190 or possibly TWO smaller screens (2090 or 1990's).  Seem like there are a lot us with dying CRT's right now.  At least we seem to have some decent options with the newer LCD's.  A couple of years ago, I couldn't have said that.  Good luck with your decision..

Tony
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68995\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just bought the Phiips 230W. You know it does have the IPS panel, right, which is the best panel going for graphics, or anything really. It's contrast is great (700:1) and it seemes like the colors are excellent. I'm very happy with it and it's 1900 x 1200 resolution. I calibrated it with my Spyder2, and I'm going to print tomorrow. So well see how good it is using profiles. It's also very fast: 12ms black to white and 6ms grey to grey. And you can see it from all angles pretty much.

tbonanno

• Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 10:11:37 am »

I just bought the Phiips 230W. You know it does have the IPS panel, right, which is the best panel going for graphics, or anything really. It's contrast is great (700:1) and it seemes like the colors are excellent. I'm very happy with it and it's 1900 x 1200 resolution. I calibrated it with my Spyder2, and I'm going to print tomorrow. So well see how good it is using profiles. It's also very fast: 12ms black to white and 6ms grey to grey. And you can see it from all angles pretty much.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77557\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Dwdallam,

Not familiar with the Phillips 230W, but it sounds pretty good...

Tony
Tony Bonanno Photography
ASMP Profession

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 04:14:00 am »

Hi Dwdallam,

Not familiar with the Phillips 230W, but it sounds pretty good...

Tony
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77604\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just got a print back and it looks right on target. I'll look more at it tomorrorw. Just to tired tonight. I'm really happy with it. I posted another thread with links to information. This monitor didn;t get many reviews, and the ones it did get are rediculous. I don't think they actually even tested it, just wrote it up. Nothing bad they say is true on my monitor--no ghosting in DVDs, ecxcellent color, eveything, even not one dead pixel nor stuck pixel. I also read other forums where people who buoght them said the same thing--thsoe reviews are full of shit. This panel rocks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up