Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please, Please make providing your location mandatory on sign up!  (Read 6503 times)

drmike

• On Flickr:
Re: Please, Please make providing your location mandatory on sign up!
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 10:48:02 am »

Come now Slobodan not all racists are Trump supporters :)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 12:13:45 pm »

... A frequent question is in what shop can they buy a certain piece of camera equipment and don't state which country they live in. ::)

If only humanity would invent something that can transport us to another country within hours ;)

Back in the 70s and 80s, my photographic friends from Belgrade (Yugoslavia) would go to New York to specifically buy camera equipment. I flew to London over one weekend for the same reason.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 12:18:40 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 12:35:31 pm »

Come now Slobodan not all racists are Trump supporters :)

Correct, and I am neither.

Slobodan's somewhat juvenile joke(?) seems to miss the point that I addressed.

As an example, when photographers from South East Asia ask about how to achieve nice or 'better' skintone, it's very likey that they mean something else than someone from Western Europe does. Skin bleaching creams and lotions (some with Hydrochinone) are big business in those parts of Asia, and a pale skin is considered beautyful, whereas in western cultures, skin bronzing is more preferred.

So, with such background info, discussions can become less confusing and more inefficient.

BTW:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(human_categorization)
While some researchers sometimes use the concept of race to make distinctions among fuzzy sets of traits, others in the scientific community suggest that the idea of race often is used in a naive or simplistic way, and argue that, among humans, race has no taxonomic significance by pointing out that all living humans belong to the same species, Homo sapiens, and subspecies, Homo sapiens sapiens.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2016, 01:09:09 pm »

...Slobodan's somewhat juvenile joke(?)...

Neither juvenile, nor a joke.

Using someone's cultural background [i.e., country of (cultural) origin] in order to better understand their position is exactly the metrics used against Trump to accuse him of racism.  Or used to praise a Supreme Court judge when she said the same thing.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2016, 01:23:10 pm »

Neither juvenile, nor a joke.

So, are you accusing me of racism???

Using someone's cultural background [i.e., country of (cultural) origin] in order to better understand their position is exactly the metrics used against Trump to accuse him of racism.

You'll have to be more specific than that. What metrics being used against Trump are you talking about???

Many of Trumps statements are filled with bigotry. I'm not saying he means what he says (although he brings it convincingly), he's just saying what his voters like to hear. He targets / appeals to their primitive emotions, and they gobble it up without chewing on it.

Or used to praise a Supreme Court judge when she said the same thing.

I have no idea what you are referring to. Do elaborate, but it would perhaps be more on topic if it was answered in a different thread.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 01:50:26 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2016, 01:48:16 pm »

So, are you accusing me of racism???...

Of course not. Just showing how easy it is to (falsely) accuse someone of that.

For the other stuff, I agree it is better to continue somewhere else (beer in Chicago?), not in this thread.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 03:52:54 am »

As an example, when photographers from South East Asia ask about how to achieve nice or 'better' skintone, it's very likey that they mean something else than someone from Western Europe does. Skin bleaching creams and lotions (some with Hydrochinone) are big business in those parts of Asia, and a pale skin is considered beautyful, whereas in western cultures, skin bronzing is more preferred.

So, with such background info, discussions can become less confusing and more inefficient.

BTW:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(human_categorization)
Cheers,
Bart

Precisely.  So When I say I'm off out to shoot some children my friends would realise that I will be photographing them.  People from the US on this forum may be worried I will be taking the gun......

Jim
(From a small town in the south of England)

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2016, 04:22:53 am »

People from the US on this forum may be worried I will be taking the gun......

From the look of things, it's more like people not from the US on this forum will be worried you (metaphorical "you", somebody on a playground in the US) will be "taking the gun".

Will this silliness ever end?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up