Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mobile tethering platform? HP OMEN X VR PC Pack  (Read 987 times)

Joe Towner

Mobile tethering platform? HP OMEN X VR PC Pack
« on: July 19, 2016, 01:59:10 am »

http://store.hp.com/us/en/ContentView?storeId=10151&eSpotName=OMENXVRPCPack

I mean, really, a few shooters running around with one of these on their backs, shooting tethered, pulling data as quick as possible onto a hardware platform with as much GPU as can be crammed into a battery operated mobile machine.  I mean, in a place where you're on a field/track/etc shooting high amounts of shots, rather than have a couple of runners, have an editor up in their booth and a SoloShot aiming a wifi yagi antenna at you and done.

That would be awesome.
t: @PNWMF

landscapephoto

Re: Mobile tethering platform? HP OMEN X VR PC Pack
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 02:24:08 am »

I am using long range wifi-solutions, although not in photography. If you want to transfer images to a distant editor, there are solutions available and they do not involve wearing a workstation on your back.

I'll give you an example. Say you are taking pictures on a sports track and the editor is in a booth behind the public. You are using a camera with built-in wifi. A wifi-router with a powerful antenna, say a Ubiquiti Nanobeam or Powerbeam, would be able to directly connect with your camera at 400-800 meters away.

BUT there are limitations which will make this less practical than you may wish:
  • you will need line of sight contact
  • the antenna needs to be directed at you, so you will need to stay put
  • you may get interference from the public using other similar devices, especially in the 2.4 GHz band

In practice, I only see some chances of this working in the 5 GHz band (which is directly supported by the H6D, don't know about others).

synn

• My fine art portfolio
Re: Mobile tethering platform? HP OMEN X VR PC Pack
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 02:59:31 am »

IMO, the Surface Pro series is still the standard when it comes to mobile tethering solutions...
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up