Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guardian of the path  (Read 1600 times)

MattNQ

• My Website
Guardian of the path
« on: July 18, 2016, 08:22:13 pm »

Matt

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
Re: Guardian of the path
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 08:05:28 am »

The tree subject, the tonalities, and the framing are really great in the second image - but in the first the ordinary uninteresting walkway is competing with the extraordinary shape of the tree and cancelling out any good outcome.
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 09:09:56 am »

Well done Matt. I don't agree with Brandt. I prefer the first shot. The path invites you into the picture.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 10:42:14 am »

Well done Matt. I don't agree with Brandt. I prefer the first shot. The path invites you into the picture.

+1

Jeremy

stamper

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 10:48:44 am »

+2

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 02:18:42 pm »

The two are very different in feeling, even with the similar processing.
But I like them both very much.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 04:48:49 pm »

The two are very different in feeling, even with the similar processing.
But I like them both very much.

In fact, they are both equally dramatic, but serve entirely different purposes, so are both equally valid.

Something I've noticed time and again on this forum, members seem to feel the need to rank the images according to their own preferences. While that might be helpful if a contributor is trying to decide between two images, often the photos can stand equally well on their own, as these two do, yet have different, equally valid perspectives. I'm not convinced there is a need to rank them or give a preference. But, hey, that's my own opinion.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

stamper

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 03:55:39 am »

In fact, they are both equally dramatic, but serve entirely different purposes, so are both equally valid.

Something I've noticed time and again on this forum, members seem to feel the need to rank the images according to their own preferences. While that might be helpful if a contributor is trying to decide between two images, often the photos can stand equally well on their own, as these two do, yet have different, equally valid perspectives. I'm not convinced there is a need to rank them or give a preference. But, hey, that's my own opinion.

I think the problem is that posting more than one image means that the images compete with each other. If a member has more than one image they think is worth posting then it is better to have more than one thread? There is a limit imposed by the owners of the forum for four images per thread but one prominent member regularly posts seven or eight images per thread.

MattNQ

• My Website
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 10:19:31 am »

Thanks all for taking the time to comment. While I'm not looking for ranking when posting more than one image, I am always interested in what people like in an image and why.  These show two different perspectives of the same tree, so while they stand on their own well enough, it seems easier to post together.

It is a shame the walkway wasnt more rustic or interesting. Its lines are a bit clean perhaps compared to the tree.

sent from Earth via tapatalk

Matt

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 08:50:55 am »

It is a shame the walkway wasnt more rustic or interesting. Its lines are a bit clean perhaps compared to the tree.

For me, it's a graphic element, and it works just fine. For someone into an ideology of capturing unspoiled nature, I guess it's an issue. Someone else would want a nude women on the path... It is what it is :)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 06:08:20 pm »

I agree that tree and the walkway are competing. I consider this is due to the light patches on the path in the lower left of the image. Your eyes see them and the light patches on the trunk and the mind doesn't know which way to go—left or right.

I would darken the light areas in the lower left, along the path and the path itself to make it clear the subject is the tree.

I feel the path has value in the image because it has a pleasant curve which leads the eyes to the tree.
R

The tree subject, the tonalities, and the framing are really great in the second image - but in the first the ordinary uninteresting walkway is competing with the extraordinary shape of the tree and cancelling out any good outcome.
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand
Pages: [1]   Go Up