Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sultnahmet daily life  (Read 709 times)

Andres Bonilla

Sultnahmet daily life
« on: July 18, 2016, 03:10:29 pm »

Hello here some of the photos I took while visiting Turkey. I know my treatment is a bit unusual and not everyone's cup of tea but I still wanted to show them here for feedback. I am trying to be constant with the look of them, of course each photo is different and requires a peculiar approach. I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks

BobDavid

Re: Sultnahmet daily life
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 09:12:19 am »

...a handsome set of images. I think the "clarity" is a bit high, and that gives the pictures an over baked look.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 09:20:17 am »

Well done Andres. Light is what takes a picture from "blah" to "wow", and you've taken full advantage of the light in these pictures.

I'm not sure what Bob's seeing. The pictures don't look over-cooked on my calibrated monitor.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 10:09:30 am »

Definitely highly cooked, but that's a legitimate choice. The consistency of "look" is good. It's not a processing choice I'd have made, but I can appreciate them :)

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 10:21:02 am »

Images 1, 2, and 4 have some great subjects, color, light, movement, and structure - and very well seen. Aside from some framing issues - the use of the pseudo illustration/subtle HDR effects is cheesy/cheap and doesn't really add anything to your great captures. I would ask yourself do these post effects draw attention to and support/strenghten the "elements you've captured" or does it just simply draw attention to "itself"? I would say easily the latter. When you have photographic images that have great "documentary" content like these, most of the time it's best let them do the heavy lift if you will.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:13:29 am by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 02:48:03 pm »

...a handsome set of images. I think the "clarity" is a bit high, and that gives the pictures an over baked look.

Hi Bob thank you for your comment, I don't use Clarity but when going for the pictorial approach some files to my eye need an extra pop, I like the richness of colors some photographers prefer a more subtle , natural approach. When you said over baked look, you refer to color, maybe too much contrast? I used a combination of Photoshop and Painter for the graphic look but to maybe I ended up with a hdrish look?

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 02:55:27 pm »

Well done Andres. Light is what takes a picture from "blah" to "wow", and you've taken full advantage of the light in these pictures.

I'm not sure what Bob's seeing. The pictures don't look over-cooked on my calibrated monitor.

Thank you Russ! Usually when I go for the pop wow look some photogs love it and another wonder why didn't I just left it alone. This set is more style oriented that others but I always try experiment and post them.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 02:57:17 pm »

Definitely highly cooked, but that's a legitimate choice. The consistency of "look" is good. It's not a processing choice I'd have made, but I can appreciate them :)

Thank you sir, I will post some of the originals and I would love to hear the processing approaches or even maybe the NO post at all ideas.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 03:15:21 pm »

Images 1, 2, and 4 have some great subjects, color, light, movement, and structure - and very well seen. Aside from some framing issues - the use of the pseudo illustration/subtle HDR effects is cheesy/cheap and doesn't really add anything to your great captures. I would ask yourself do these post effects draw attention to and support/strenghten the "elements you've captured" or does it just simply draw attention to "itself"? I would say easily the latter. When you have photographic images that have great "documentary" content like these, most of the time it's best let them do the heavy lift if you will.
Thank you Brandt for your post, I am curios about the framing issues, in terms of composition how would you have distributed the elements in the images? I did cropping in a couple of them trying to make them more pleasant to my eye. In this particular project I did wanted a subtle illustration with richness of color and a moody look to them. I was not trying to impart a sham but I do wonder it perhaps the treatment became the " hero " as oppose to the actual subject matter. Casual viewers have liked the atmosphere and mood of them and were intrigued about the look, photographers had dissected more the different elements.

Thanks for the time and input, as I said I will post the originals and see the opinions.

Andres
Pages: [1]   Go Up