Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does turning printer on and off waste ink ?  (Read 2916 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Does turning printer on and off waste ink ?
« on: July 18, 2016, 12:29:50 am »

I have a P9000 and was wondering if turning the printer off after doing a few prints and turning it back on the next day wastes ink while the printer is starting back up. Does it do some cleaning during the startup cycle ?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Does turning printer on and off waste ink ?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 03:03:06 am »

The p9000 does a nozzle check when you start it up.  It does this regardless of the setting in the menus that allows auto nozzle checks to be disabled - meaning you can't disable this nozzle check.  The x900 series did this when they were first introduced, and later firmware updated allowed disabling all nozzle checks except when you swapped black inks.  (the p9000 will also do a nozzle check when swapping blacks, which cannot be disabled).

However, the nozzle check uses an insignificant amount of ink ... much less ink than printing a nozzle test pattern.  If the nozzle check fails, it will do an auto clean, thus needing ink.

There is a tendency for Epson printers with this feature to get a "false positive" when it checks the nozzles, and do what might be an unnecessary cleaning. I haven't determined if the p9000 is better at this than the previous generation 9900.

So if you want to prevent any nozzle checks and thus prevent any automatic cleanings, you can disable the function in the menu and then leave the printer running all of the time.  This may be counter productive, because it seems turning off the machine and allowing it to seal the heads is better for it than letting it run.  But YMMV, some users report that leaving it running results in less missing nozzles.  I myself always power it down.  My p9000 has only done an auto cleaning two or maybe three times when when powering it back up, which actually seems pretty good. (only about 6 months old)  I think my 9900 required at least a single channel clean a little more often than that.

I do keep the printer in a humidity controlled room at 40% humidity, something which has helped quite a bit.  My 9900 was several years old, and I only replaced one maintenance tank during the time that I owned it, so it didn't really use that much ink in keeping nozzles clean.

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 11:02:51 pm »

Thank you, that was very helpful.

N80

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 10:10:16 am »

I have an old R2400 which I am still happy with in terms of image quality but have never been happy with ink usage. It seems to go though a long startup process almost every time and I can only conclude that this uses a good bit of ink because the cartridges last a shockingly short amount of time and I am not a high volume printer. My printing is very sporadic and I may go months at a time without printing so I understand when it does the full check and cleanings. But it will typically do it again if I power back up in an hour.

I seem to recall a bit of criticism toward Epson in regard to this model's ink usage back when it came out. I hope unnecessary ink use is not an issue with the newer models. Regardless, I'm still happy with this model and my printing expenses are low due to low usage anyway. And in one regard, I'd rather the printer do a thorough check and clean than to ruin an expensive fine art paper plus the ink used to print it.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 01:58:58 am »

I do keep the printer in a humidity controlled room at 40% humidity, something which has helped quite a bit.  My 9900 was several years old, and I only replaced one maintenance tank during the time that I owned it, so it didn't really use that much ink in keeping nozzles clean.

What do you use to control humidity ? I have AC at my place but it seems to keep the humidity steady at around 65-70%. I have installed a humidity data logger to see how it fluctuates, but I would like to keep the place at around 50% or so. Any tips ?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 01:33:05 am »

I bought one of these https://www.essickair.com/h12400hb-console.html

and then removed the refillable tanks and added a small float water valve which is tied to a water line.

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 03:06:51 pm »

Seems like I have the opposite problem. My area has to much humidity (Toronto) so I'm looking to reduce. I bought a dehumidifier and it seems to be steady at about 50% according to an electronic humidity tracker I have sitting close to the printer. Do you happen to know what kind of humidity variation is acceptable throughout the day for the printer ? I was hoping to power off the dehumidifier at night when the printer is off.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 04:31:25 pm »

I’m not sure too much humidity would have a detrimental effect on the printer or the clogging issue, more to do with mold and other issues in the overall environment.  I think you’d be fine powering it off at night.
Pages: [1]   Go Up