Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the best image rescue softwares & is my card now bad?  (Read 5109 times)

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
Re: What are the best image rescue softwares & is my card now bad?
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 05:32:05 pm »

I've had very good luck with PhotoRescue. For $29 you get Mac and PC version.Photorescue PC
You might want to try and recover the images on a Windows PC.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:38:39 pm by Les Sparks »

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 05:54:07 pm »

The open source and multi platform PhotoRec/QPhotoReC(graphic)
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Or try R-Undelete (Win/OSX/Linux)
http://www.r-undelete.com/File_Undelete_Articles/Photo_Recovery/
In the past this software and dry ice was able to recuperate the data better than other options...
The dry ice was to keep the hard disk defective chips cold, we had no other chip/board to substitute.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 07:02:16 pm by Pictus »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2016, 06:40:28 pm »

Bob " Do you delete in camera? If so stop."
What does that mean?
When a card is formatted and you start shooting then you fill up the card from start to finish consecutively. If you delete the last image then it just continues on. If however you delete an image that wasn't the last one then there is a hole that has to be filled.

If you look at your images in the finder then you will see that the files are all different sizes. So say that the image you deleted was 25MB and the next image you shot was 30MB. It will put the first 25MB in the gap and the next 5MB at the end. So the files become fragmented. If that happens a lot then the file system can become confused. A more tech explanation used to be on the Sandisk website but I can't find it at the moment. Fragmenting slows things down and can cause a glitch. I just copy all the images and delete on the computer which is hopefully more robust in the operating system.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

kevs

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2016, 06:55:18 pm »

Thanks,  Bob, but when I re-format on the Canon, and think the card is good to go and fresh no?

And it's structure is ok according to DU Mac.

and maybe is was card reader? who knows...
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

sniper

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 07:00:58 pm »

I had one die after a recent wedding, I managed to recover all the images ok, but even though the card seems to be working fine I wouldn't risk it on a job. Cards are cheap enough, loose a wedding and it'll cost a lot more.
A tip I got was if the card still seems to work chuck it in the glove compartment of the car, that way if you get caught out for a card one day you have a last resort card in the car.

Lundberg02

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2016, 12:13:14 am »

How does a data recovery company get data off a flash drive that will not mount? anyone know? I'm about to use UFS Explorer Standard to see if it sees it, because UFS will see unmounted disks no problem.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2016, 07:00:51 am »

When a card is formatted and you start shooting then you fill up the card from start to finish consecutively. If you delete the last image then it just continues on. If however you delete an image that wasn't the last one then there is a hole that has to be filled.

Hi Bob,

That's not exactly how things go on a memorycard / memory stick / SSD. Since these devices only allow a given number of rewrites to each memory position, maybe 1000 - 5000, they will spread those write operations uniformly over all available positions over time. This is called Wear-leveling. So a deleted file position will be marked as such, but will probably not be re-used again for a while (if there are other positions available that have not been written to for a longer period of time).

There will be a certain fragmentation, but in solid state memory that hardly affects speed. Large memory devices like SSDs can be sped up a bit after a while by using a so-called TRIM operation if the Card OS supports that, because defragmentation would not really work, and it would needlessly use up the maximum number of writes that are available.

Memory Cards can be (low level) formatted, which will reset everything (possibly also the Wearleveling). So it is probably best not to do that too often. Simply deleting the files (with a reader connected to the computer if bulk deletes are done) should do the trick.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up