Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the best image rescue softwares & is my card now bad?  (Read 5118 times)

kevs

I have a 16 gb Lexar card, bought a year or two ago. I just shot a wedding of 700 images, and today when copying to hardrive is said it had to stop because image 1502 had some error. Then I had to go through this process of ejecting the card (it said the card was not ejected properly), eventually I did get all the images to the hardrive.

Is this card now unstable or perhaps a one time fluke that has passed? I did a Mac DU test on the card and it passed ok with disc utililty.

Also what are the best image rescue software today? I used to use Image Rescue 4 and Lexars Data Rescue 2.

I have not had to use either for years, so I'm not in the loop if these two softwares are still the champs.
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

rdonson

Re: What are the best image rescue softwares & is my card now bad?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 07:34:46 pm »

Cards are inexpensive enough, unless you go for huge ones, to simply buy a new one and not worry about having another hiccup with that card.  Once I get an error on a card that's it for me.  I might use it for test shots again but generally it goes in the trash.
Regards,
Ron

kevs

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 08:48:59 pm »

Thanks R, but devils advocate, maybe fluke hiccup and card is good? Have you or others, seen that, a hiccup but then you never have issue again. Conversely, have you kept the card, shot and found it's toast?

Still curious on state of card rescue software.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 09:14:01 pm »

Personally, I've never had an issue with either a CF or an SD card, but a friend did and I used Sandisk rescue software on it successfully.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 09:49:54 pm »

Kevs, I haven't seen a problem with a CF or SD in quite a while.  It was much more prevalent about a decade ago. 

The reason I ditch cards that act up is if I'm shooting a sporting event or anything I'd hate to lose it's not worth chancing if card acts up again. 

That's one reason I favor SanDisk.  They never hesitate to replace a card that I've had a problem with.
Regards,
Ron

kevs

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 09:55:56 pm »

Thanks Mark, if you have a link to software please send. I think Sadiscd was one of those two.

Sandisk does not replace cards for free, there is no lifetime warranty. I find Lexar and Sandisk to be same quality.

Just noticed something the error image on the folder I copied to is 1/2 black from bottom, 1/2 brown in middle and top 1/4 is ok. But when I saw that error message, I copied the file number (from the card), and dragged it to the desktop and it was perfect. So maybe, something with card reader or the import..? Have no idea.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 12:10:32 am »

Glitches happen. It may not have even been the card. Try formatting it a couple of times using Disk Utility in different formats and writing to it. If it passes OK then format it in the camera and it will probably be fine. Do you delete in camera? If so stop.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Lundberg02

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 02:26:25 am »

I've got a PNY 128 GB USB flash that failed to mount. i took it to the Mac  shop and their expert got i to show up, but since then it failed again. They weren't able to revive it. I don't know what's on it so I'm reluctant to pay to get the data. Any suggestions?

Ray R

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 04:32:06 am »

I had a 32Gb card come up with an error, and managed to rescue all the images.

I then left it sat on the desk, then decided to format it and give it another go, alongside an SD card in a Canon 5D Mk3.

Whilst it seemed to work for a while I wasn't happy using it, and then it had another error reading the images, so it went in the bin and I bought a another one.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 07:22:21 am »

I've got a PNY 128 GB USB flash that failed to mount. i took it to the Mac  shop and their expert got i to show up, but since then it failed again. They weren't able to revive it. I don't know what's on it so I'm reluctant to pay to get the data. Any suggestions?

If the data is very important to you there may be no option but to send it to a service that only charges a fee if they succeed in retrieving your data.

kevs

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 11:59:52 am »

Thanks Mark, the Rescue Pro link has no info on downloading or price. I have not bought a card in awhile. Sandisk is always a bit complicated on who can use the software, is there a link with more info? Maybe someone else knows too...

Bob " Do you delete in camera? If so stop."
What does that mean? I format in camera. I think you are probably correct, that the card is fine, lets hope. It passed DU, so I would think it's ok, but something did glitch just for that one file in card reader and stopped the whole copy over which was annoying/ disturbing.

Jan K.

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 12:36:01 pm »

Sorry, but weddings and a card, that may or may not be good?

I see new 32GB Lexar cards at $17, so why not simply toss it out??

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 12:48:48 pm »

I have a data recovery business.  We test many of the Consumer level SW programs for this sort of thing and ImageRescue has by far the highest recovery rate.  Many Lexar cards actually come with a free license to this software.

Also, image recovery on a PC is about 2 times ore likely to be successful than on a Mac if, when you insert the card on a PC and you right click on it and select Format and make absolutely sure that Quick Format is checked.  This erases the FAT allowing the software to rebuild it from scratch rather than trying to repair a corrupted FAT.

In most cases the card is fine to use again but once the images have been recovered and safely saved on your computer and backed up, doing another format of the card and unchecking the Quick Format box, allowing a more complete byte by byte format to be done will make sure the card is good to go.  If this format fails, throw the card away or do a warranty claim.

kevs

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 01:51:15 pm »

Thanks EJ, Image Rescue 4 already does not work, 5 says $35.00. Do you know if Lexar gives it for free if you buy a new card?

I'm on Mac. DU says card passes fine. With a format on the Canon 5D that should be good right?

kevs

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 01:53:17 pm »

Thanks Jan, did not see your post. I did not know price has dropped so much!

Jan K.

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 03:49:03 pm »

When you buy a Lexar, you would get a "coupon" with a code to use for the downloaded rescue software.

If you need it, I'm fairly certain, I have one unused floating around. Can't look for it before tomorrow though...

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 03:55:26 pm »

Thanks Mark, the Rescue Pro link has no info on downloading or price. I have not bought a card in awhile. Sandisk is always a bit complicated on who can use the software, is there a link with more info? Maybe someone else knows too...

Do a search on Google, you should find out what you want to know.

kevs

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 03:59:20 pm »

Thanks Jan, can I PM you about that?

Mark, that's the thing, Sandisk in infamous about being opaque with this software, the rules change on rates and rules,  and it's very nebulous. It sounds like Lexars software then is the best bang for the buck.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 04:14:36 pm »

Thanks Jan, can I PM you about that?

Mark, that's the thing, Sandisk in infamous about being opaque with this software, the rules change on rates and rules,  and it's very nebulous. It sounds like Lexars software then is the best bang for the buck.

Well, of course use whatever you think best - there's probably little difference between these products. I've never had an issue with SanDisk - every year when renewal comes up I pay them a small something to renew it. Or, if I had bought a new card, they always come with coupon codes for a free Rescue Pro download so I renew it with the new coupon code. No big deal.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up