Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: P. Oosting: There's more to come, there will be more surprises at Photokina...  (Read 13218 times)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images

I hate to break it to you, but nobody is making anything for Rollei, Hy6 and Contax platforms anymore. At least, nobody who has a real business plan.
A polite answer.
I think new Hasselblad products will be made for Hasselblad, which makes a lot of business sense.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

That already exists in the form of the X1D>HCD>CF adaptor

Yes, I know you can do that, but a native adapter would be more convenient, more accurate, more robust and cheaper.

cheers,
Bernard

NickT

BernardLanguillier

Good luck with that!

Well, if you own V lenses and nothing else, why would buying 2 adapters be cheaper than buying one?

The H-> V adapter costs 1,500 US$, which I wouldn't call cheap.

Cheers,
Bernard

Theodoros

Hasselblad really needs to get busy making the gear they've announced, as the backlog/wait for the the new shutter HC/HCD glass isn't helping.

Theo, 1-4 of the items asked for WILL NEVER HAPPEN.  4 would be nice, but really, if Hass were to do a tech/view type option they'd sell the whole camera and it'd take a H/X lens which is what 5 is.  While I see Hass doing a X1D to V adapter at some point, save it for next year.  I don't understand what 6 would get you (H5x + 1/2000th = H6x right?) - for the faster shutter speeds, you need the whole lens/body/back link to exist, and I am certain Hasselblad doesn't see an advantage in working with PhaseOne to do this.

-Joe

Joe, the biggest advantage of the CF backs series was that they had user interchangeable adapter plates. Making CF backs again, (meaning CFV but with interchangable plates) would add sales of backs, but would attract more users too as to change to the H platform when it comes to upgrade the platform at sometime in the future....  An H6X does make a lot of sense since it would both provide a second body for back-up to H6D users functioning exactly the same as their first body (as H5X does  for the H5D users), but it would additionally give the opportunity to users that have an older back they want to keep along side a modern camera for what it does (say a tethered only one, or a multishot one, or one without microlenses that works well with their view camera), to integrate it with the rest of their system.
OTOH, one wouldn't expect the H5 series to last for ever after the H6 has been released... After the 30th of September when the S/H H6D-50 that are under the promotion for the H6D-100 program will find their way to the dealers at a discount price, one should expect from Hasselblad to gradually replace the marketing position of the H5 series of products to the H6 respective ones. 

landscapephoto

The wish for H6X is because the camera has a completely new user interface with advanced capabilities of use

The user interface of the H6 cameras (not back) is quite similar to the one of the H1-H5 cameras. Just download the manual at the Hasselblad site to find out.

Joe Towner

Well, if you own V lenses and nothing else, why would buying 2 adapters be cheaper than buying one?

The H-> V adapter costs 1,500 US$, which I wouldn't call cheap.

Cheers,
Bernard

Actually, I thought more about this, and if you are currently invested in V glass, you either are shooting a V body or have the V adapter for a H body (or a V to m645).  If you already are shooting the V glass on a H body, the $300 to get a H to X1D makes sense, rather than a $1,800 V to X1D adapter(s).  If you're on a V body, wouldn't you be better off with the CFV-50c, as is or updated?

From a reliability & structural integrity perspective, I don't like 2 adapters, it should be a single one.  But since Hasselblad isn't selling new V mount glass, they don't see how they would return an investment.  The V to H had to be done as there weren't as many H lenses initially, and there was lots of new V glass that was being sold.

-Joe
t: @PNWMF

Joe Towner

Joe, the biggest advantage of the CF backs series was that they had user interchangeable adapter plates.

Theo, while a great idea a decade ago, the only company who did a plate based system is Sinar, and I don't see much chatter about them on here.  There is no longer a financial advantage for doing a plate based system, and any idea of doing it to gain some sort of loyalty from a user is not a business model.

-Joe

Theodoros

Actually, I thought more about this, and if you are currently invested in V glass, you either are shooting a V body or have the V adapter for a H body (or a V to m645).  If you already are shooting the V glass on a H body, the $300 to get a H to X1D makes sense, rather than a $1,800 V to X1D adapter(s).  If you're on a V body, wouldn't you be better off with the CFV-50c, as is or updated?

From a reliability & structural integrity perspective, I don't like 2 adapters, it should be a single one.  But since Hasselblad isn't selling new V mount glass, they don't see how they would return an investment.  The V to H had to be done as there weren't as many H lenses initially, and there was lots of new V glass that was being sold.

-Joe

IMO, it is to the benefit of Hasselblad to make a direct V to X adapter and they will... Either if they make V lenses or not, it clearly is important for them to keep the half a million V-users loyal to the firm (they don't miss a chance to underline that in all their recent marketing activity)... Lets not forget that in P.Oosting's interview here in Lula, he said that the CFV was their most selling product during 2015...

I even think that they will make a CFV-100  sooner or later and the will most certainly offer a V to X adapter, but a shift/tilt adapter for V lenses on X camera too... There is no "FF" back they make for the V (or ever made) and thus V users only have the alternative to turn to competition if they want one... surely that's not good for Hasselblad's image to the public... If one notices the difference in price between the two H6D versions, it looks possible that they can make a CFV-100 for 12K Euro/15K USD... That would make it very attractive to V users, it would also make a possible CF series of backs very popular for other platform users... For example there is an extremely wide base of Contax 645 wedding photographers that a reasonably priced CF-50 and a CF-100 would make much sense as to invest on...

synn

• My fine art portfolio

Theo, while a great idea a decade ago, the only company who did a plate based system is Sinar, and I don't see much chatter about them on here.  There is no longer a financial advantage for doing a plate based system, and any idea of doing it to gain some sort of loyalty from a user is not a business model.

-Joe

FWIW, apparel on getDPI confirmed after talking to his sources that there won't be another CFV back. It's all H and X from now on.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

landscapephoto

FWIW, apparel on getDPI confirmed after talking to his sources that there won't be another CFV back. It's all H and X from now on.

Go to this page: http://www.hasselblad.com/h6-system/h6d-50c. Clic on "FAQ" and read (towards the end):

CFV-50c: will all H6D features be integrated into future CFV backs?

In the next revision of the CFV back the relevant and compatible features will be added.

Notice the "next revision" part. Of course, maybe they just mean "firmware revision"... but I would not exclude a CVF back with a touch screen. Why not? It is little effort and there is a market for it.

Of course, there is no market for a CFV with adapter ring and multishot and built-in correction of the aberrations of defunct third party glass as the market for a such back would be exactly one person, sitting in the city of Κόρινθος. But we already know that.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 02:58:26 pm by landscapephoto »

pflower

My Hasselblad rep has told me that the V to X adapter is not on the table at the moment.  Of course that might change in the future but the existing V to H adapter is expensive (cĀ£1,500) and, apparently, has not sold well. I would have thought that a V to X adapter would not be much cheaper than that.   The H to X adapter is much more reasonably priced and, it is suggested, will allow AF on some or all of the HC lenses.  I use the V to H adapter from time to time but after a while it becomes a bit of a bore and I have ended up buying H lenses with AF instead.  I can't see it happening.  Logically I can't see the reason for it - it would be nice for those of us with cherished V lenses but this is a new system - much more likely is that HB will concentrate on producing X specific lenses with the H to X adapter for those who really need focal lengths not currently on offer.

IMO, it is to the benefit of Hasselblad to make a direct V to X adapter and they will... Either if they make V lenses or not, it clearly is important for them to keep the half a million V-users loyal to the firm (they don't miss a chance to underline that in all their recent marketing activity)... Lets not forget that in P.Oosting's interview here in Lula, he said that the CFV was their most selling product during 2015...

I even think that they will make a CFV-100  sooner or later and the will most certainly offer a V to X adapter, but a shift/tilt adapter for V lenses on X camera too... There is no "FF" back they make for the V (or ever made) and thus V users only have the alternative to turn to competition if they want one... surely that's not good for Hasselblad's image to the public... If one notices the difference in price between the two H6D versions, it looks possible that they can make a CFV-100 for 12K Euro/15K USD... That would make it very attractive to V users, it would also make a possible CF series of backs very popular for other platform users... For example there is an extremely wide base of Contax 645 wedding photographers that a reasonably priced CF-50 and a CF-100 would make much sense as to invest on...

NickT

Don't believe everything you hear on the internet Synn:)

Theodoros

-Joe

I'm sure you remember Joe that imacon/Hasselblad also made interchangeable interface plates for their CF series of backs, Sinar still does.  Hasselblad never abandoned the idea either, they only stopped making the CF backs after they decided to "close" the system and make their backs only available for Hasselblad bodies... a decision that pretty much brought them to the edge of the abbys. The reason behind the plate system, isn't some financial advantage... It is rather that one can keep using his back if he decides on a different platform, or if he uses two (or more) camera platforms.  Certainly the perfect way for a company to follow if they want to attract some third platform user as to jump boat to theirs next time... Fortunately, both my MS backs (Hasselblad CF-39MS & Sinarback 54H) are with interchangeable plates. 

IMO, it makes a lot of sense for Hasselblad to reintroduce the CF series, other than they can take back some sales from competition (especially now that their pricing is more competitive than ever), they also have the backs ready (with the CFV series) and the interface plates ready too (so that there is the minimum of effort required).

BernardLanguillier

I am shooting V lenses of a 503CW. I did consider a CFV back, but the V platform isn't really adapted to the way I shoot and I won't invest more in it.

I may be naive, but I would think that a direct adapter would be an incentive for the many V lenses owners to invest in the X1D platform?

Cheers,
Bernard

jng

I am shooting V lenses of a 503CW. I did consider a CFV back, but the V platform isn't really adapted to the way I shoot and I won't invest more in it.

I may be naive, but I would think that a direct adapter would be an incentive for the many V lenses owners to invest in the X1D platform?

Cheers,
Bernard

Not naive at all, but who knows what Hasselblad's marketing department has in their calculus. I am currently using an IQ160 back on my V system bodies/lenses. I went this route vs. the CFV50c because I don't particularly favor the crop sensor. But I am attracted to the portability and form of the X1D. The ability to use my V system lenses on the X1D - either with a single adapter or stacked V->H>X adapters might tip me over the edge (i.e., into the abyss) to go for one. This could give me the best of different worlds - hand holdable like the SWC but also capable of some serious tripod-based work with a large array of excellent V and H lenses, which would be great when traveling. And I still have my V system and full format CCD back for other projects. Basically it's another arrow in the quiver at a more "affordable" price. I think that Mr. Oosting acknowledged that there are over a half-million V bodies in circulation. How many of these owners do they need to pick up to make it worth their while?

John

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram

Not naive at all, but who knows what Hasselblad's marketing department has in their calculus. I am currently using an IQ160 back on my V system bodies/lenses. I went this route vs. the CFV50c because I don't particularly favor the crop sensor. But I am attracted to the portability and form of the X1D. The ability to use my V system lenses on the X1D - either with a single adapter or stacked V->H>X adapters might tip me over the edge (i.e., into the abyss) to go for one. This could give me the best of different worlds - hand holdable like the SWC but also capable of some serious tripod-based work with a large array of excellent V and H lenses, which would be great when traveling. And I still have my V system and full format CCD back for other projects. Basically it's another arrow in the quiver at a more "affordable" price. I think that Mr. Oosting acknowledged that there are over a half-million V bodies in circulation. How many of these owners do they need to pick up to make it worth their while?

John

I think the original Canon 1ds sold 8000 bodies.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Joe Towner

Hey Synn,

I expect a refresh of the CFV-50c, the new screen really is worth it on it's own.  I see the CFV- platform as another way to sell 33x44 chips, and any way they can leverage the X1D platform electronics would make it cheaper to produce.  That and NickT seems to have plenty of NDA info.

-Joe

synn

• My fine art portfolio

Nick and Joe:

In this instance, I would love to be proven wrong as the CFV series are instead excellent VFM.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

jduncan

Estrogen therapy, anyone?

I fail  to see how this commentary can be constructive. This comment is either misogynist, misandrist or both.
I believe this kind of comment detracts from the forum.
People should be aware of social issues. In particular, artists are expected, in the modern times, to be aware of the social environment.

I know it was not done with ill intentions, but I believe we should keep the forum open /welcoming  to photographers of any gender.

Best regards,
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:03:58 am by jduncan »
english is not my first language, an I k
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up