Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FS: Kodak DCS 465 digital back for Mamiya RZ67, complete outfit  (Read 1247 times)

wheresgimen

This listing is for a Kodak DCS 465 digital back for Mamiya RZ67 cameras. The DCS 465 is a pretty rare piece of gear, as only about 200 were made. It was one of the first digital backs for medium format cameras, originally released in 1995. I am selling a full kit that includes everything you need, except for the camera body. The device is completely functional (you can see some sample shots below).

This digital back was purchased new in 1996 by a well-known scientific research company. I remember seeing the original receipt -- over $30,000! Yes, *thirty thousand* dollars. Yikes! It's in very good condition for its age. There are some scuffs on the painted housing, but the sensor is clean and clear. I replaced the battery a few months ago, so it's technically possible to use it in the field if you don't mind the weight. It also runs on AC power.

I've noticed that the shutter release cable can be a little finicky, but it usually fires the camera without issue. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the connector or the button itself. There's also a slight tweak you need to make to the EXIF data to ensure that the files are read properly on modern computers. Kodak used a proprietary image format, but it can be read in Adobe Camera RAW and Lightroom if you change the camera model to the DCS 460 (they share the same sensor). If you aren't familiar, I can provide instructions on how to do this.

This digital back was originally designed to use a SCSI connection and a PCMCIA hard drive for storage. I don't have any of that stuff anymore, but it works just fine with a CompactFlash card and adapter. You can fit about 160 photos on a 1 GB card. I suspect that the solid state memory will permit longer battery life, too.

Here's what's included:

• Kodak DCS 465 digital back
  • Film back adapter for Mamiya RZ67
  • AC adapter
  • Internal battery
  • Shutter release cable
  • Lens sync cable
  • Electronic trip cable
  • Hot mirror filter, necessary because the sensor doesn't have a built-in IR filter
  • Filter thread adapter for hot mirror
  • Special focusing screen with photo outlines for crop sensor
  • PCMCIA-to-CompactFlash adapter
  • 1 GB CompactFlash card
  • USB card reader
  • Plastic covers for digital back and camera body
  • Two instruction manuals
  • Waterproof, padded carrying case

This has EVERYTHING you need to use it, just supply the RZ67. The DCS 465 was also available for Hasselblad cameras, so it should also work on those if you can find the correct film back adapter and sync cables. In the photos below, I've included pictures of the working setup on my RZ67. The Mamiya camera isn't included.

Asking $799 plus shipping. Let me know if you have any questions or would like better pictures than the quick iPhone shots I have below. I can also send full-resolution versions of the test shots, since I really had to reduce the quality to upload them here.

Pages: [1]   Go Up