Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New GPU seems to overheat CPU  (Read 7140 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
New GPU seems to overheat CPU
« on: July 16, 2016, 04:03:34 pm »

I'm stymied about something. About a month ago, I replaced my older Asus Radeon R9 280x with an MSI R9 390. Since Lightroom and On1 really rely on the GPU, I thought, what the hell. And speed did increase for certain functions. However, that seemed to come at the price of the CPU becoming increasingly hot under certain conditions in Photoshop. For instance, today, I was resizing a 1Ds3 image to 40"x60". I was doing the resize in PhotoZoom 6 (thought I could have used Perfect Resize) and my temps hit 70 C and shut down the computer, three times. I had decreased the image from 16bit to 8bit to help, but no success. This never used to happen till I swapped graphics cards. I'm running an AMD FX9590 with 32GB of RAM on an AMD mobo.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

jrsforums

Re: New GPU seems to overheat CPU
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 07:11:30 pm »

I'm stymied about something. About a month ago, I replaced my older Asus Radeon R9 280x with an MSI R9 390. Since Lightroom and On1 really rely on the GPU, I thought, what the hell. And speed did increase for certain functions. However, that seemed to come at the price of the CPU becoming increasingly hot under certain conditions in Photoshop. For instance, today, I was resizing a 1Ds3 image to 40"x60". I was doing the resize in PhotoZoom 6 (thought I could have used Perfect Resize) and my temps hit 70 C and shut down the computer, three times. I had decreased the image from 16bit to 8bit to help, but no success. This never used to happen till I swapped graphics cards. I'm running an AMD FX9590 with 32GB of RAM on an AMD mobo.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

Not sure why Gpu would have increased CPI temp (from what to 70°?).

I assume your case has sufficient cooling to exhaust the heat expelled by GPU.

Only other thought is better GPU increase work through CPU, which may require better cooler, air or water.
John

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 07:26:19 pm »

Not sure why Gpu would have increased CPI temp (from what to 70°?).

Indeed, although if it is a substantial increase, then something may need to be fixed (it would not be the first temperature related glitch).

I assume your case has sufficient cooling to exhaust the heat expelled by GPU.

Correct, but I wouldn't assume. Make sure to take a vacuum cleaner and occasionally suck the dust away from several components in the Computer case, or it's inlets/outlets. It might be that a threshold was just crossed due to more GPU activity.[/quote]

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

jrsforums

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 07:38:01 pm »

Indeed, although if it is a substantial increase, then something may need to be fixed (it would not be the first temperature related glitch).

Correct, but I wouldn't assume. Make sure to take a vacuum cleaner and occasionally suck the dust away from several components in the Computer case, or it's inlets/outlets. It might be that a threshold was just crossed due to more GPU activity.

Cheers,
Bart

Agree.  Can air can help with CPU cooler.  My thoughts were why the sudden increase after GPU install.
John

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 08:06:50 pm »

Agree.  Can air can help with CPU cooler.  My thoughts were why the sudden increase after GPU install.

Yes, canned air (although vacuum is preferred) for the CPU cooler (might also be e.g. inadequate CPU contact/cooling paste), and the power supply if built-in, but it might also have been something as trivial as passing a threshold by 1 degree Celsius (due to increased GPU activity)...

We'd need more detailed input to tell for sure.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 04:38:13 am »

I wonder if the CPU cooler, or the fan if it has one, might have been dislodged when you swapped the GPU.  Worth a look

degrub

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 11:55:21 am »

Is this a purchased pre-built system or did you build it youself ?

A couple things can happen that will do this
1 card uses more power and throws out more heat inside case, often at the cpu
2 card uses more power and system is at limit of power supply capacity so now that generates more heat to remove
3 card is larger and is now blocking fresh air to the cpu cooler
4 a drop in voltage to the case fans from overloaded  power supply so the run slower = heat build up
5 inlet or outlets for case air are restricted
6 cable routing is restricting clean air path
7 some portion of all of the above
8 the system was marginally cooled before and the new card has pushec it past its capability

If you have a mobo program or from the bios level check the voltages to the mobo and cpu. It may be that the power supply is weak for the load. Dropping voltages cause more current draw which makes it worse. Bios will only give you reference at minimumconditions. A monitoring program from the mobo manufacturer is best. Btw, i am not aware that AMD makes mobos.

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 03:55:58 pm »

I wonder if the CPU cooler, or the fan if it has one, might have been dislodged when you swapped the GPU.  Worth a look

It happens...
Also the GPU R9 390 generates toooooo much heat...

What to do:
-Check if the CPU cooler is not dislodged
-Provide better air circulation inside the case, seems like the HOT air the GPU produces
is heating the CPU.

Both your GPU and CPU generates tooooooo much heat...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 04:11:17 pm by Pictus »

Joe Towner

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 09:53:38 pm »

If you pop off the case cover, do you see the same thermal shutdowns?  Go old school and point a fan at it.  Airflow in the case is critical.

What motherboard are you using?  Where is the card in relation to the CPU?  Can you move to a different slot that'll give more space?

The R6 390 consumes 275w, and I'm not easily finding the power use of the R9 280x.
t: @PNWMF

Miles

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 09:16:20 am »

I'm not sure if this will help your situation, but a new application of thermal paste between the chip and the heat sink corrected the issue for me.  This is a simple, inexpensive option that may help.
Miles

JaapD

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 09:26:08 am »

Could it be a driver issue? The GPU driver is running on the CPU. Do you have the latest MSI/Radeon driver installed?

FabienP

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 06:10:38 pm »

If you pop off the case cover, do you see the same thermal shutdowns?  Go old school and point a fan at it.  Airflow in the case is critical.

What motherboard are you using?  Where is the card in relation to the CPU?  Can you move to a different slot that'll give more space?

The R6 390 consumes 275w, and I'm not easily finding the power use of the R9 280x.

Apparently the R9 280x has a TDP of 250w, which is similar to the new card.

According to pictures on the internet, both cards seem to have an open air cooling system which will blow the warm air inside the PC case and possibly directly on the CPU heatsink. This cooling system is less effective than the reference blower which directly outputs warm air outside the case (the blower is more expensive and thus not favoured by third party manufacturers).

If more cooling does not help, it would be interesting to see if the problem only occurs with some applications. One way to assess this could be done by running a GPU benchmarking application which should stress the GPU without taxing too much the CPU.

Cheers,

Fabien

jrsforums

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 06:28:48 pm »

Ok.... where's the OP?
John

nemophoto

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 08:34:42 am »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I've been trying to methodically try different things and settings.

First of all, I have four fans in the case. Two intake, two exhaust. I use the liquid cooling that comes with the FX 9590. I've been running the computer with the side enclosure off, to maximize cooling. My PSU is a heavy-duty Corsair 1200 watt unit, so I have plenty of power.

I went into my BIOS and adjusted multiple settings. AMD's power management was somehow off. Turned it back on. Somehow, at one point, I discovered that six of the eight cores had been turned off. I thought, Ah ha, this is the problem Wrong. Eventually, after having three thermal crashes in a row yesterday while trying to generate 18 web-sized JPEGs from 5Ds RAW in LR, I pulled off the the CPU thermal cooler. I cleaned off the cooler contact and the CPU and reapplied a thin layer of paste. (Actually found a great YouTube video on the proper application for even contact -- use an old credit card to smooth. Anyway, that had some effect, but did not seem to mitigate things totally. (I did discover the GPU was really hot when I was working with the CPU cooler.)

I finally have given up all those as solving my issue and have ordered a new Corsair heavy duty liquid cooler, thinking the stock liquid cooler is not cutting it any more. I'll see if that has any effect. Meantime, I'll keep looking at your postings and see if this work and will let you know. Thanks again for the comments.

degrub

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 11:47:25 pm »

If you have any air or noncondensible vapour trapped at the top of the liquid loop you would loose a lot of heat transfer.

How do you know the pump is performing properly ?

Any crud in the heat transfer fluid ?

Just some thoughts based on what we see in industrial scale equipment.

jrsforums

John

nemophoto

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 12:19:10 am »

If you have any air or noncondensible vapour trapped at the top of the liquid loop you would loose a lot of heat transfer.

How do you know the pump is performing properly ?

Any crud in the heat transfer fluid ?

Just some thoughts based on what we see in industrial scale equipment.

The only way I sort of know it's working properly (theoretically), is an AMD utility called Chill Cooler which shows the liquid temp and pump status. That said, I'm going to try replacing the cooler with the Corsair I just bought. I'd love to get it installed in the next day or so, but leave on a week's shoot on Saturday. I did a test of how the cooling performance may have improved (or not) after doing new thermal paste. It failed. I tried res'ing up an image in Photo Zoom (8-bit) 300%. I pulled the plug on the process when I hit 68C (reading from my Asus utility that came with the mobo, which also tracks MB temps, fan speeds, etc. I can tell from the readings how everything is doing. The CPU fans are maxed out. The MB fans are maxed out, though the MB is running cool. I wish I had more utilities for the GPU fans/temps).

nemophoto

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 12:21:26 am »

http://www.kitguru.net/components/dominic-moass/aio-watercooler-challenge-6-way-round-up/

Thanks for including. I'm bummed. Wish I'd seen this before ordering the new cooler. Hopefully the Corsair I bought stacks up well (it's the H100i v2).

jrsforums

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 02:37:59 am »

Thanks for including. I'm bummed. Wish I'd seen this before ordering the new cooler. Hopefully the Corsair I bought stacks up well (it's the H100i v2).

I've had a older Antec unit, two stacked fans exhausting out, for a number of years.  CPU not heavily over clocked, but temps are mostly kept down towards 40-44°C.  Personally, if you don't need to do anycase cutouts, the water units are easier to keep up cool,and easier to install
John

nemophoto

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 08:32:55 am »

I've had a older Antec unit, two stacked fans exhausting out, for a number of years.  CPU not heavily over clocked, but temps are mostly kept down towards 40-44°C.  Personally, if you don't need to do anycase cutouts, the water units are easier to keep up cool,and easier to install

The AMD FX9590 actually came with a liquid cooler, similar to the one you mentioned. The chip has always been finicky -- no possible way to over lock since it's already basically and over locked chip. It' always run warm, but I've never had issue like the what I have now. Thanks for sending the review of coolers. Turns out I chose the top choice, so hopefully it'll solve the heat issues. It's getting bad when I can't do a batch process of lo-res JPEGs, or resize (which I do regularly for one client's posters as well as my fine art work).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up