Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Turkish Military take over.  (Read 16325 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: The Turkish Military take over.
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2016, 07:37:16 pm »

The German and Japanese forces were completely crushed, they had nothing left to fight with because they had carried on to the bitter end. Both wanted total war and both suffered total defeat hence it wasn't a question of whether they wanted to molest the occupying forces or not, they simply were not able to do so.

It is not a regular army that is fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan now, but guerilla fighters, so, technically, both Japanese and German population could have continued to "molest" the occupying force, just like French Resistance did to Germans. So it is not that. The European war was never perceived as a war of religions or civilizations either. Actually, in WWI fighting would even stop for Christmas.

In the middle east, on the other hand, it is the religious and ideological extremism and medieval mentality that is currently fighting.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2016, 09:55:02 pm »

Actually that's not entirely correct.  ISIS occupies and holds territory including cities that they defend.  Their government runs the civil affairs in these areas as well.  They also fight like people use to fight including killing the men and reorienting the women and children to their way of life.  I doubt if there are "molesting" forces within their ranks. 

The West has to get away from the idea that this is a religious war.  This is, at least with ISIS, a territorial war and we should treat it as such.  They have begun to create a territorial caliphate, similar to the Ottoman Empire, just smaller.  Their attacks in lands like America and France are their way of attacking their enemy.  They don't have long range bombers and fighter aircraft as we do.  This is not terror or a criminal action on their part but rather----war!  Until we understand that, we won't do the right thing to defeat them.

Rob C

« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2016, 12:52:01 pm »

Interesting how Turkey has vanished off the news.

Rob

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2016, 02:59:05 pm »

Interesting how Turkey has vanished off the news.

Rob

Not everybody is ignoring it -

Amnesty International says it has ‘credible evidence’ Turkish police are holding detainees, denying them food, water and medical treatment and in the worst cases some have been subjected to severe beatings and torture

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/thousands-turkey-coup-prisoners-raped-8485304
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 05:13:17 pm by Justinr »

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2016, 05:17:34 pm »

Not everybody is ignoring it -

Amnesty International says it has ‘credible evidence’ Turkish police are holding detainees, denying them food, water and medical treatment and in the worst cases some have been subjected to severe beatings and torture

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/thousands-turkey-coup-prisoners-raped-8485304

Worth bearing in mind that the EU was preparing to welcome Turkey on board, I should imagine their application has been quietly filed under the carpet for the time being.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2016, 07:06:44 pm »

Worth bearing in mind that the EU was preparing to welcome Turkey on board, I should imagine their application has been quietly filed under the carpet for the time being.

Given that Turkey has been an associated member since 1963, it is worth taking a look at the photo I posted earlier, post #80. Turkey in the sixties is definitely not the same Turkey 50 years later, and not for the better.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2016, 07:22:55 pm »

Given that Turkey has been an associated member since 1963, it is worth taking a look at the photo I posted earlier, post #80. Turkey in the sixties is definitely not the same Turkey 50 years later, and not for the better.

Turkey has been all sorts over the centuries, where east meets west, Europe meets Asia, there is unlikely to be long lasting stability unfortunately.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:56:09 am by Justinr »

scyth

« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2016, 10:20:27 am »

The German and Japanese forces were completely crushed, they had nothing left to fight

and with what for example Sunnis fought after the Iraqi army was completely crushed ? you don't need tanks to fight - small arms, bullets and explosives were in more than sufficient supply :-)... it is just they (Germans/Japanese) did not have any will & determination whatsoever even to try, even probably just once... I mean - do u recall or can find a single incident say in 1946 of attacks against occupying forces in Germany or Japan ? try to google.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2016, 12:29:09 pm »

and with what for example Sunnis fought after the Iraqi army was completely crushed ? you don't need tanks to fight - small arms, bullets and explosives were in more than sufficient supply :-)... it is just they (Germans/Japanese) did not have any will & determination whatsoever even to try, even probably just once... I mean - do u recall or can find a single incident say in 1946 of attacks against occupying forces in Germany or Japan ? try to google.

May I suggest -

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/apr/24/exorcising-hitler-germany-frederick-taylor

It's a good read and lays bare the POW camps that German soldiers were kept in for the first winter of defeat and explains how the country was slowly returned to civilian government and so on. I certainly had a better understanding of the aftermath of the war in Europe after reading it, you might to.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2016, 04:52:01 pm »

Well here is something new, Erdogan is now considered a sultan by his fans!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d81_1469395837#G0Fsrxm7ExBW6t6k.99

There aren't many of those around and the one over in Brunei is not setting a particularly reassuring example -

the Sultan of Brunei, recently announced the implementation of Sharia law in his tiny South Asian nation.

Under Sharia law, the following is considered criminal behavior, punishable by fines, jail, amputation of limbs, public flogging or death by stoning: absence from Friday prayer services; becoming pregnant out of wedlock; wearing indecent clothing, and for women, refusal to wear a hijab; employing a non-Muslim baby sitter; the use of the word “Allah” by Christians and the discussion of faith by any non-Muslims; publicly eating or drinking during Ramadan; theft; homosexuality; and adultery.

http://nypost.com/2014/05/10/inside-the-wacky-sex-obsessed-world-of-brunei/
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up