Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using the XF with older Mamiya AF Lenses  (Read 1353 times)

Junk_Bond

Using the XF with older Mamiya AF Lenses
« on: July 15, 2016, 10:04:07 am »

I picked up an older Mamiya 55mm just to try out the focal length. I typically use manual focus only, but since this lens does not have the switch located on the lens itself I turned AF off via the menu system on the XF. This seems to work, but the focusing ring still feels engaged with the AF motor. Is this typical of this lens? Not a big deal as I don't plan on using the lens long term, just curious. Thanks

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Using the XF with older Mamiya AF Lenses
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 05:31:05 pm »

yes both the 45mm and 55mm really can't be focused manually.  I was not aware of the XF having an AF and MF switch,  Where is that found on the small LCD on the top of the camera?  But if you are turning that off, and still feel the motor resisting you when you turn the ring, it must not be having any effect, which surprises me.

From what I can tell the only lenses that will focus manually are the ones with the AF/MF clutch on the lens.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Junk_Bond

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 05:50:11 pm »

Hi Paul,

What I changed to get the lens to stop auto focusing was: Capture Setup/AF Drive/Manual. This may just be telling the camera that you are focusing manually but not disengaging the AF motor on the 55mm (from your response I'm guessing the motor never disengages). Not a big deal as the sole purpose of the lens was to check focal length, I can throw it back on Ebay.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 03:18:56 am »

I have found this bit of information: https://captureintegration.com/wp-content/uploads/lensrange.pdf

At page 5 it states that the 55mm can be used in manual focus, so I guess disengaging the AF system on the body is enough for that since it has no switch. As long as the motor is electrically disconnected, it should be fine. It's probably always coupled mechanically and that is why you feel some resistance, but you shouldn't damage anything if the body is set up to disable the AF motor.
Instagram (updated often)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 07:15:16 am »

I may be wrong but I believe the CI document is old and refers to using the older 55mm on the DF series of cameras which had a physical AF/MD switch. When turned to MF the focus ring on the 55mm is freed up and has no resistance like it does with the XF.

Still need to try mine on XF with AF off on the camera.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 08:24:34 am »

Yes, I see what you mean. The only hope is that the menu option disables the AF motor disconnecting it electrically from the system, so even if it still turns it shouldn't damage anything (by acting as a tiny dynamo). If not he'll need a newer 55mm model.
Instagram (updated often)
Pages: [1]   Go Up