Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternatives to Epson Prem. Semi-Matte 250  (Read 8337 times)

KeithR

Alternatives to Epson Prem. Semi-Matte 250
« on: June 06, 2006, 09:10:33 pm »

Recently, I attended the Epson Print Academy where Jeff Schewe made a few prints on a 4800 as a demo. I was fortunate to "win" one of these prints and upon my arrival home, I wanted to find out what the printing media was. Comparing the print to the samples in the Epson swatch book(which I picked up at the EPA), the print media was the Epson Premium Semi Matte 250. I really liked this material, but am disappointed that, for cut sheets, it only comes in 17 x 22. Does anyone know of a similar paper/surface from other manufacturers, that have a more than one size? It is smoother than luster or a pearl surface. To me the luster had a "stickier" feel compared to the semi matte. Also, it was printed using the K3 photo black.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 10:30:41 pm »

Why don't you wait a little while to learn more about new/forthcoming papers: Museo Silver Rag, Innova Fibra Glossy, Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl?

KeithR

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 09:54:09 am »

Why don't you wait a little while to learn more about new/forthcoming papers: Museo Silver Rag, Innova Fibra Glossy, Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67584\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd love to try these papers, but at the current rate that they are coming to market, in cut sheet form, it'll be Christmas before we'll see it on the shelves.

Pete JF

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 10:10:33 am »

Innova Fibre Gloss is already available in cut sheets. Very nice paper.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 11:02:27 am »

Innova Fibre Gloss is already available in cut sheets. Very nice paper.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67615\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Except for the one size I really want, 13x19.  
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Richowens

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 12:49:21 pm »

Try Exim Vaios, they have it in 13x19.

Rich

I'm sorry, I just reread the posts, Exim Vaios has the Epson Semi Matte in cut sheet sizes, not the Innova glossy.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 01:03:59 pm by Richowens »

Jo Irps

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 01:43:18 pm »

Strange, why does Exim Vaios carry Premium Semimatte 13x19 and nobody else? Do they have some exclusivity or does anybody know where or when we can find this exellent paper. Even the Epson store does not list it.  

I tested it by cutting  the bigger 17" size down into all kind of different sizes. Love the finish of the semimatte. 13" rolls would also be very welcome.

Roy

• http://
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 02:06:58 pm »

Strange, why does Exim Vaios carry Premium Semimatte 13x19 and nobody else? Do they have some exclusivity or does anybody know where or when we can find this exellent paper. Even the Epson store does not list it.

The answer is on the Exim Vaios site:
"We convert 44-inch roll of Premium Semimatte Photo Paper to custom cut sheets. It's the lowest SQFT cost on cut sheets for Epson paper!"
Roy

Ed Foster, Jr.

• http://www.edfoster.net
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 02:08:22 pm »

Recently, I attended the Epson Print Academy where Jeff Schewe made a few prints on a 4800 as a demo. I was fortunate to "win" one of these prints and upon my arrival home, I wanted to find out what the printing media was. Comparing the print to the samples in the Epson swatch book(which I picked up at the EPA), the print media was the Epson Premium Semi Matte 250. I really liked this material, but am disappointed that, for cut sheets, it only comes in 17 x 22. Does anyone know of a similar paper/surface from other manufacturers, that have a more than one size? It is smoother than luster or a pearl surface. To me the luster had a "stickier" feel compared to the semi matte. Also, it was printed using the K3 photo black.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67579\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Keith,

To the best of my knowledge, the semi-matte only comes in rolls.  If someone is offering cut sheets, they are probably custom cutting it.  It is a great looking paper.  However, you might want to take a look at Epson's Premium Semi-Gloss Photo Paper (250) which, according to Epson's site at least, is in stock in 13 x 19 and 8-1/2" x 11.   I still have 3 sheets left from about 3- 5 years ago that I used with a 2000P and I just now compared it to the semi-matte and it is very, very close - which is the way I remembered it when I upgraded to the Ultrachromes.  

Regards,
Ed
Ed Foster, Jr.
[url=http://www.edfoster.

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 04:53:29 pm »

I used to use roll paper that had been custom cut by the vendor into cut sheets.  One warning on it, if anyone decides to try that route: the paper still has a bit of a curve to it, even if they claim they flatten it after cutting.  If it's important for you to have very flat sheets without any curve, don't go that route.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Jo Irps

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 05:09:59 pm »

Thanks Lisa and Roy, that's explains it.

Roll paper is ok for me as I am printing a lot of panoramas, but semi-glossy. Ed is right with his observation that semi-glossy is very close to semi-matte, but looking closer at the surface, the semi-matte is "structured" much finer and therefore the print appears crispier.

KeithR

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 08:32:02 pm »

Try Exim Vaios, they have it in 13x19.

Rich

I'm sorry, I just reread the posts, Exim Vaios has the Epson Semi Matte in cut sheet sizes, not the Innova glossy.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67629\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Rich,
Thanks for the link. The sizes are what I'm looking for. I just didn't know if there was someone else that produced this finish.

KeithR

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 08:39:56 pm »

Keith,

To the best of my knowledge, the semi-matte only comes in rolls.  If someone is offering cut sheets, they are probably custom cutting it.  It is a great looking paper.  However, you might want to take a look at Epson's Premium Semi-Gloss Photo Paper (250) which, according to Epson's site at least, is in stock in 13 x 19 and 8-1/2" x 11.   I still have 3 sheets left from about 3- 5 years ago that I used with a 2000P and I just now compared it to the semi-matte and it is very, very close - which is the way I remembered it when I upgraded to the Ultrachromes. 

Regards,
Ed
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67634\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the reply Ed. Epson does have the Prem Semi-Matte in cut sheets, but only 17x22. I checked my swatch book and compared the SG to the SM, and they are close. But the SG seemed to have more OBA and the stock(heavy wt) seemed thinner than the SM. Also the SG is only available in rolls, starting at 24".

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 09:40:36 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67579\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, though a bit of a nuissance if you want smaller size papers, 17*22 is a nice permissive size to work with, because if you but the 22 dimension in half you have an A3 of 11*17, and if you cut that piece in half again on the 17 inch dimension you have a letter size 8.5 * 11. You just need a good clean cutting surface, firm hand, metal yardstick and a sharp utility knife (along with some band-aids just in case   ).
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Ed Foster, Jr.

• http://www.edfoster.net
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 09:52:51 pm »

Thanks for the reply Ed. Epson does have the Prem Semi-Matte in cut sheets, but only 17x22. I checked my swatch book and compared the SG to the SM, and they are close. But the SG seemed to have more OBA and the stock(heavy wt) seemed thinner than the SM. Also the SG is only available in rolls, starting at 24".
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Keith,
I have not been able to locate the Semi_Matte in cut sheets on Epson's site.  Remember too there are actually 3 semi-gloss products (other than board).  Premium Semi-Gloss Photo Paper (250), Photo Semi-Gloss Heavy Weight, and Photo Semi-Gloss.  The one that I mentioned, the first one,   actually has the highest basis weight and thickness.  In fact, according to Epson's specs it is heavier than the Semi-Matte 250.  (See: [a href=\"http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/ProductMediaSpec.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Overview&oid=-10384&category=Paper+%26+Media]Epson Premium Semi-Gloss Photo Paper (250)[/url]
As far as OBA's, I don't know other than the one that I mentioned in my post is not quite as bright as the Semi_Matte (ISO Brightness of 93% vs 95%).  You are right though, the "standard" Photo Semi-Gloss at ISO Brightness of 99% would seem to have more OBA's.

I am waiting for some of Moab's Kokopelli Studio Semi-Gloss which is dual sided, available in 13 x 19 sheets and slightly heavier than any of the Epson semi's.

Too many choices - too many similar names.

Ed
Ed Foster, Jr.
[url=http://www.edfoster.

KeithR

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2006, 11:47:14 pm »

Keith,
I have not been able to locate the Semi_Matte in cut sheets on Epson's site.  Remember too there are actually 3 semi-gloss products (other than board).  Premium Semi-Gloss Photo Paper (250), Photo Semi-Gloss Heavy Weight, and Photo Semi-Gloss.  The one that I mentioned, the first one,   actually has the highest basis weight and thickness.  In fact, according to Epson's specs it is heavier than the Semi-Matte 250.  (See: Epson Premium Semi-Gloss Photo Paper (250)
As far as OBA's, I don't know other than the one that I mentioned in my post is not quite as bright as the Semi_Matte (ISO Brightness of 93% vs 95%).  You are right though, the "standard" Photo Semi-Gloss at ISO Brightness of 99% would seem to have more OBA's.

I am waiting for some of Moab's Kokopelli Studio Semi-Gloss which is dual sided, available in 13 x 19 sheets and slightly heavier than any of the Epson semi's.

Too many choices - too many similar names.

Ed
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67666\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Epson site says that they are out of stock of the cut sheets. As for thickness, the 250(gsm) is the same.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 12:01:00 am by KeithR »

knobadi

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 08:28:52 pm »

what's the difference between premium semimatte and proofing commercial semimatte paper?  i didn't see any difference in the specs.

inkwelleditions

• http://
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 01:52:48 pm »

First you might try legion photo silk, very nice paper, good weight, and a surface that is a little nicer than the semi matte, but not by much. It comes in sheets, the only drawback is the price.

The difference between proofing semi matte and semi matte is mainly the weight of the paper, the proofing paper if very thin. It also may not be as archival. Other than that they are similar in surface, but the proofing paer really is designed to be used to generate proofs...mostly for comerical press jobs.

J

KeithR

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 05:36:27 pm »

Quote from: inkwelleditions,Sep 28 2006, 05:52 PM
First you might try legion photo silk, very nice paper, good weight, and a surface that is a little nicer than the semi matte, but not by much. It comes in sheets, the only drawback is the price.

Thanks everyone for your responses!. I did happen to find a paper that is a carbon copy(pardon the pun) of the Epson Semi-Matte 250 from Hawk Mountain Papers. I sent for their swatch book, and found that their Sharpwing Luster is so close that they could have been made by the same manufacturer. Using the Epson profile for PSPP250, I made two prints of the same image, one on each paper and could not tell them apart. I was very happy with the result and the fact that I could get sizes other than what Epson limited me to, and at a affordable price!
Pages: [1]   Go Up