Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phocus and Lightroom  (Read 2112 times)

Brent Daniels

Phocus and Lightroom
« on: July 11, 2016, 06:57:06 pm »

I want to clean-up some lens chromatic aberration on Hasselblad multishot files that were shot on an Arca & 47 mm lens. Lightroom does a very nice job of this with Hasselblad exported DNG files. However I also would like some modification done in Phocus such as the scene calibration(color & intensity/lens fall off) to be done before exporting as DNG for Lightroom.

I tried export to DNG in Phocus and then open in LR but it looks like the scene calibration was not processed in Phocus as part of the DNG export.

Does anyone know if when one exports a Hasselblad FFF raw file to DNG with Phocus if the Hasselblad raw file modifications set on the file such as scene calibration are actually run / processed on the file in the final exported DNG? Or know how to make this happen?

Joe Towner

Re: Phocus and Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 09:51:37 pm »

Under Develop / Camera Calibration what profile is it using?  I always have to change mine to Matrix to get the look I'm expecting.

-Joe
t: @PNWMF

Brent Daniels

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 11:05:24 am »

Thanks Joe but that did not work. Most likely Phase files and Blad created DNG files could be different.

LR will work with a straight 1 shot Blad raw FFF file.

LR will not accept a Blad multishot FFF file. The only raw file option is DNG which LR will accept.

1 shot Blad FFF file in LR has 3 options available in camera calibration. All are a little different but none seem to use the full scene calibration modification set to the file in Phocus.

4 shot (multi) Blad FFF file processed in Phocus to DNG will open in LR but has only 2 option in camera calibration, Embedded & Camera Standard. Embedded does not seem to do anything and Camera Standard takes out about 50% of the colour shift scene calibration but none of the lens fall off density correction.

On a whim I tried something. Processed out a 16 bit PSD file in Phocus and tried using that file in LR. It worked great. File has all the scene calibration from Phocus and it works in LR. Do the correction of the chromatic aberration ugliness in LR and export. The lens correction of LR is so much better than in PS.

pflower

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 12:53:07 pm »

I've tried this before and it doesn't work.  Only when exporting as a Tiff or PSD file will Phocus carry out the adjustments you have made within it.  Exporting as a .dng doesn't give you the changes you have made in Phocus and whilst Phocus will "remember" what you have done to the 3fff file it doesn't write those changes to the file itself - so opening those in LR won't reflect any edits you have made in Phocus.

The only way to use both is to export a Tiff from Phocus and then work on that in LR.  A bit of a pain when it comes to storage but that seems to be the way it is.

Thanks Joe but that did not work. Most likely Phase files and Blad created DNG files could be different.

LR will work with a straight 1 shot Blad raw FFF file.

LR will not accept a Blad multishot FFF file. The only raw file option is DNG which LR will accept.

1 shot Blad FFF file in LR has 3 options available in camera calibration. All are a little different but none seem to use the full scene calibration modification set to the file in Phocus.

4 shot (multi) Blad FFF file processed in Phocus to DNG will open in LR but has only 2 option in camera calibration, Embedded & Camera Standard. Embedded does not seem to do anything and Camera Standard takes out about 50% of the colour shift scene calibration but none of the lens fall off density correction.

On a whim I tried something. Processed out a 16 bit PSD file in Phocus and tried using that file in LR. It worked great. File has all the scene calibration from Phocus and it works in LR. Do the correction of the chromatic aberration ugliness in LR and export. The lens correction of LR is so much better than in PS.

Brent Daniels

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 03:06:52 pm »

The method of using the PSD to do correction of the chromatic aberration in LR works for me as I very rarely use LR. Plus I had already exported all the files to PSD. For people that do it would be nice if Phocus could process the file with adjustments made to the FFF file in Phocus before exporting to DNG.

For example the special Blad only bits of Phocus such as lens corrections, scene calibration, or Phocus developed colour profiling to a file and then do any extra processing adjustments in LR at a RAW file basis.

Not all RAW processing programs do everything best. This would allow one to take advantage of the best of both.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 07:12:35 pm »

To me at least, a raw file is a raw file. If you export an FFF then no processing is exported with it. So you do the adjustments in Phocus and export a TIFF.
You can use Photoshop for raw file conversion but you will probably get a better result in any cameras proprietary raw file converter. If you need to do a 3FR to FFF conversion then you need Phocus anyway so you may as well use Phocus and gain the benefit of all the corrections.

DNG is a sort of half way, sort of raw file that excludes key information. I don't use it for anything.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up