Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mounting kozo to various unusual substrates  (Read 1196 times)

deanwork

Mounting kozo to various unusual substrates
« on: July 11, 2016, 10:34:18 am »

I am going to be doing some experiments mounting thin kozo to various objects.

I realize that mounting to wood will expose them to acidic lignans and stain over time. The wood or stone could be coated with a clear acrylic barrier however. How the fact that kozo is itself wood, (that as far as I know has Not been purified of lignins ) plays into its durability is an interesting question when mounted to other organic objects.

What I am really interested in, and have been for some time, is mounting to stone, shaping it around the object as I"m doing now with silk and linen. I printed some works with liquid emulsion 10 years ago on Marble and very much liked to result but I hate darkrooms these days.

Yes, I've seen the Facebook site of the guy who is mounting on granite. It's strange because I started mounting some of my silk and linen geological series prints to granite and sandstone a year ago, but this kozo is sharper and more photographic.

Does anyone know if various rocks like marble, granite, or sandstone release acidic compounds that will stain or make the kozo brittle and dry? ( or not ).
Don't see that on the Aardeburg site  ;)

Thing is, in this case, I don't care if it does turn yellow or brown or deteriorates over a couple of decades, I'd just like to know if it will.
I assume mounting this thin kozo with polyvinylacitate PVA book binding glue could protect it from absorbing acids.

Anyway, kozo has been used in Chinese brush painting for thousands of years and many of those scroll paintings in museums still look quite good if not excellent.

John

Lesley

Re: Mounting kozo to various unusual substrates
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 12:10:11 am »

Hi John,

I am also interested in working with kozo and looked for the facebook page you mentioned (the guy who mounted it on granite) but couldn't find anything. By any chance do you have a link for his page?

Many years ago I made a lamp with bamboo and kozo - the kozo was glued to the split bamboo frame and did not change colour over time. I haven't had any experience with other woods. Good luck with your project!

Lesley

Ray R

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 03:26:22 am »

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 08:24:15 am »

I am going to be doing some experiments mounting thin kozo to various objects.

Does anyone know if various rocks like marble, granite, or sandstone release acidic compounds that will stain or make the kozo brittle and dry? ( or not ).
Don't see that on the Aardeburg site  ;)

John

Hi John -

Some rocks have iron particles or streaks of iron in them.  They could react to the paper releasing acetic acid under certain atmospheric conditions, particularly higher humidity levels. I can suggest using rabbit skin glue as a size on the back of the kozo in a light wash.  RSG has been used for centuries in many applications for stabilization and as a size  under gold leaf.  It will not degrade the paper.  Important to get the real rabbit skin glue - it is being synthesized now.

"Rabbit skin glue is the traditional size for fabric support on panels. It seals porous fabric and isolates it from ground or oil paints. Stretching the canvas is easy, because the size shrinks as it dries. It is mixed with water to make a strong adhesive."

-Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

disneytoy

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 06:41:22 pm »

Those rocks look great. Post back if you have success. Honestly a barrier coat of acrylic should be fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up