Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony Lenses  (Read 24996 times)

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: Sony Lenses
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2016, 04:33:56 pm »

All I have to say about Sony is:

• They are a consumer electronics company,
  • Beta max,
  • NEX, and
  • A-mount

Rand

How about adding "Pro-Video" to that list :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 04:07:43 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

scooby70

« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2016, 04:39:38 pm »

All I have to say about Sony is:

• They are a consumer electronics company,
  • Beta max,
  • NEX, and
  • A-mount

Rand

Oh dear, such snobbery but you forgot to mention video games.

Rand47

« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2016, 05:21:26 pm »

Oh dear, such snobbery but you forgot to mention video games.

Not a snob, just someone who has been burned badly by Sony's marketing strategy.
I have a lovely Sony TV.  And their video gaming is still going strong.  All the things in my list have one thing in common.  They were platforms that were abandoned by Sony.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

pegelli

« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2016, 04:09:48 am »

Neither NEX nor A-mount are abandoned by Sony. The NEX name has been replaced by Axxxx but the concept is alive and kicking.
pieter, aka pegelli

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2016, 04:26:57 am »

To be fair, I still prefer OVFs and a majority of DSLR owners still prefer OVFs.

I am not sure about this. I think a majority of mirrorless users prefer EVF, otherwise they wouldn't have switched to a mirrorless system.

But I also think a good amount of DSLR users would prefer an EVF too, but are trapped in Canikon stubborness. These three cases of DSLR users could prefer an EVF over OVF if they tried the EVF, but they don't know it or this preference is insufficient to provoque a system change:
- Those with an important investment in Canikon gear
- Those that prefer Canikon lenses
- Those P&S novice users still in the "I want my first DSLR camera" stage (this group is quickly being decimated since mirrorless systems have finally become known by retail salesmen).

Regards
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 11:04:19 am by Guillermo Luijk »

Herbc

« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2016, 11:16:14 am »

regarding the OVF vs EVF,  having grown up using LF and thus a ground glass for viewing, it seems the
EVF is more like being there, and the additional benefit of variable illumination of the EVF is really great for geezers like me.  My main reason for Sony A7x use is the size. 

FabienP

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2016, 05:31:17 pm »

It does not have to be either EVF or OVF. DSLRs could feature both by providing add-on EVFs which could be fixed on hotshoes. Canon does that for some of their G Series cameras (G3X, G1X, etc.) and I am puzzled as to why they do not offer similar solutions to DSLR owners.

Cheers,

Fabien

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2016, 12:50:35 am »

That's indeed a good point, even if it would be a bit clunky.

Or... they think that a large majority of their customers buy DSLRs because of their OVFs and not in spite of their OVFs?

Cheers,
Bernard

SrMi

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2016, 01:45:03 am »

I am not sure about this. I think a majority of mirrorless users prefer EVF, otherwise they wouldn't have switched to a mirrorless system.

But I also think a good amount of DSLR users would prefer an EVF too, but are trapped in Canikon stubborness. These three cases of DSLR users could prefer an EVF over OVF if they tried the EVF, but they don't know it or this preference is insufficient to provoque a system change:
- Those with an important investment in Canikon gear
- Those that prefer Canikon lenses
- Those P&S novice users still in the "I want my first DSLR camera" stage (this group is quickly being decimated since mirrorless systems have finally become known by retail salesmen).

Regards

I think EVF/OVF preference is very personal. I am shooting with EVF (Sony, mu43, Leica Q) and with OVF (Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica M) and enjoy using OVF much, much more. With OVF I feel more engaged with the subject than with EVF. Some EVF users may have never enjoyed a really good OVF and some OVF users may have never given EVF a chance. I cannot speak for others, but for me the size is the only reason to use an EVF camera.

pegelli

« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2016, 03:16:10 am »

I cannot speak for others, but for me the size is the only reason to use an EVF camera.
I use both, but also enjoy using both. Next to camera size for me the biggest advantage of EVF's is focus magnification.
pieter, aka pegelli

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2016, 03:23:50 am »

I use both, but also enjoy using both. Next to camera size for me the biggest advantage of EVF's is focus magnification.

That's definitely a major potential plus if you use MF lenses (which I do most of the time), but I personnally dislike the current Sony implementation. Loosing the full frame view when you go into focus magnification mode is a poor solution in my book.

Cheers,
Bernard

pegelli

« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2016, 04:39:17 am »

That's definitely a major potential plus if you use MF lenses (which I do most of the time), but I personnally dislike the current Sony implementation. Loosing the full frame view when you go into focus magnification mode is a poor solution in my book.

Cheers,
Bernard
Yes, it would be nice to have an option to only magnify a part and still see the outline of the entire shot around it. Most of the times I don't need it but it would be useful in some cases for me. Wouldn't want it as the only magnify option though, since using the whole EVF for the magnified view is useful as well.
pieter, aka pegelli

Herbc

« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2016, 09:02:57 am »

Speaking of OVF and EVF, Sony makes an add on EVF that I used to hook up to my 800E, mounts in the hot shoe, and got a large EVF  right away.  It was only feasible on a tripod, but it worked great.  Now if I can find it......

scooby70

« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2016, 09:43:46 am »

Not a snob, just someone who has been burned badly by Sony's marketing strategy.
I have a lovely Sony TV.  And their video gaming is still going strong.  All the things in my list have one thing in common.  They were platforms that were abandoned by Sony.

Rand

Fair enough but you described Sony as a consumer electronics company and I assume you meant this as a derogatory comment.

I see this kind of post too often and I do wish people would move on and I do wonder who you and others posting similar comments think should have the temerity to produce camera equipment.

scooby70

« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2016, 09:48:12 am »

Regards

Since moving to mirrorless I've come to love the advantages that come with the evf including the in view focus and exposure aids. The only thing I dislike is that the light output of every evf I've tried is too high for night time shooting but of course in the same situation an ovf may be utterly useless.

Farmer

« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2016, 01:23:45 am »

The 5 brightness options for the A7Rii feel limited - I don't understand why it doesn't have 10 or 12, taking it from blinding to virtually nothing (and the auto could be calibrated to suit, too, by giving it a range to work in).  Seems like a firmware requirement, but probably low on the list.
Phil Brown

shadowblade

« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2016, 10:20:33 pm »

Cheers,
Bernard

Yes, it would be nice to have an option to only magnify a part and still see the outline of the entire shot around it. Most of the times I don't need it but it would be useful in some cases for me. Wouldn't want it as the only magnify option though, since using the whole EVF for the magnified view is useful as well.

Since moving to mirrorless I've come to love the advantages that come with the evf including the in view focus and exposure aids. The only thing I dislike is that the light output of every evf I've tried is too high for night time shooting but of course in the same situation an ovf may be utterly useless.

The 5 brightness options for the A7Rii feel limited - I don't understand why it doesn't have 10 or 12, taking it from blinding to virtually nothing (and the auto could be calibrated to suit, too, by giving it a range to work in).  Seems like a firmware requirement, but probably low on the list.

All this is missing the point that, while the ergonomics of EVF/live view implementation may be questionable depending on your preferences (I think it works just fine), with an OVF, you can neither adjust the brightness nor magnify the image for critical focus in the first place.

pegelli

« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2016, 01:23:13 am »

All this is missing the point that, while the ergonomics of EVF/live view implementation may be questionable depending on your preferences (I think it works just fine), with an OVF, you can neither adjust the brightness nor magnify the image for critical focus in the first place.
I don't think anybody is missing a point here. These are just some suggestions to make EVF's more to the liking of some users.
pieter, aka pegelli

Farmer

« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2016, 04:40:54 am »

Yup, what Pieter said.  I've got an A7Rii with EVF, and it's great, but it could be even better.
Phil Brown

chez

« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2016, 08:24:06 am »

Yup, what Pieter said.  I've got an A7Rii with EVF, and it's great, but it could be even better.

Isn't this the same with anything in life.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up