Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: X1D hands on  (Read 38954 times)

Joe Towner

X1D hands on
« on: July 09, 2016, 09:21:23 pm »

So since we're doing a thread per, I'll start one just for folks whom have actually touched / used / tested one.

Had a great first experience with the new camera today.  The size, weight (lack there of), and a few of the features alone make it a great addition to any current Hasselblad H shooter.  There were two bodies 'F' and #0041 both running beta 1.4 firmware, with the two lenses.  There was no HC/HCD adapter on hand, and while it exists, I'd like to stress how it should be as solid as the camera feels - as in a single milled piece of metal, as lenses like the HC 50-110mm has no tripod foot, and we're looking at the adapter to take that weight.  First time I heard a price for the HC adapter - $350 - so yea, um, no question, plus Hasselblad folks admitted there are a lot of folks pushing for a V adapter (it's worth ~$800 in my opinion).

The big issue for me is a lack of a cable release.  Say all you want about an app, but when wifi isn't happy, or I've got it on a Gigapan, panarama or motion rig, I need that port.  See the attached photo of what's behind the doors, evidently the mic/monitor ports may be wired for it, but it's a firmware thing.  That's the only reason they don't have a deposit from me.  I love the battery setup, and really it needs to set it up with an Anton Bauer style plug for longer shoots.  I can put in 2x 512gb SD cards, so how long would it take to fill those up?

Tried the Nikon TTL with a SB-5000 flash - it didn't work, but none of us really know how to work a Nikon speedlight.  It was the first time the Hasselblad reps had a flash on the body and I didn't get a change to snag a pic.  I really want TTL to work like it's supposed to - an X1D with a few lenses and a Profoto B2 kit, bring it on.

In a perfect world the X1D would have the same ports on the H6 backs, but the space isn't there.  Sync in & sync out would be amazing, I could see this being used with a Cambo Actus with a new rear plate.

I need the cable release Hasselblad, please, pretty please????
t: @PNWMF

Joe Towner

Re: X1D hands on
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 09:23:47 pm »

A few more shots, plus the ports on the H6 back (the lower door is the USB-C port).

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 10:00:45 pm »

I really liked the idea of this camera but can't see it being usable on an Actus or Universalis.  The lack of a built in shutter pretty much kills that application.

Theodoros

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 10:18:29 pm »

I really liked the idea of this camera but can't see it being usable on an Actus or Universalis.  The lack of a built in shutter pretty much kills that application.

Unless if one of the makers of adapters comes up with making the interface of other leaf shutter lenses compatible to the camera... isn't it Chris?
I mean if there will be an adapter of (say) Rollei 6xxx/HY-6 lenses that makes them usable on the X1D, then one can draw cables (or take apart an extention ring) and have the camera interface communicate with the lens on a tech camera... It has happened to much extend with Sony α7 and so many different lenses of other makers that have electronic aperture control have become compatible to the Sony only after few years from its release... I don't see why it won't happen with the X1D for both the aperture and leaf shutter of other MF lenses that have wider image circle...

Chris Barrett

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 10:55:00 pm »

Theo, while I could see that happening (although I don't think it's highly likely) I expect that would be a straight mount adapter like the Metabones, not something that would work in conjunction with a view camera.  I'd love to be wrong, though.

Joe Towner

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 02:03:54 am »

Why would the camera be any different than using a V/H/M mount back on a view camera?  It's a known flange distance, with a sturdy mount, and Hass is going through the trouble of creating a lens lineup around 33x44 so I'd put cash on Sony coming out with a higher MP 33x44 chip in the 12-18 months (if not sooner).  Yes, it could be done with a A7r, but why would I want that body?

If I could pick a lens lineup to use, maybe the GX680?  Huge working distance, lots of glass options that are pretty cheap and designed for movements.  i mean, Fuji knows the protocol used on the HC/HCD lenses, and could in theory build a camera that allows a rotating camera mounted, with bellows for movement that takes the GX680 glass.  Screw pixel shift, move the entire camera assembly to cover the 60mmx80mm area.

vjbelle

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 07:46:05 am »

The camera could be used on any Arca or Cambo as long as the lens is mounted in a copal shutter.
Victor

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 08:33:00 am »

Would you not also need some form of wakeup mode, as on a Phase back, or a zero latency type setting?  Not sure if the X1D has any of that in the design?

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Chris Barrett

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 09:35:12 am »

Yeah, I believe you're right, Paul.  However, I understand that the CFV-50c works on a 501cm with no wakeup cable so...?

Still, that little 'Blad is really damn cute.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 09:46:27 am by Chris Barrett »

BJL

X1D hands on: using USB-C to add cable release etc?
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 09:51:18 am »

The big issue for me is a lack of a cable release. . . . In a perfect world the X1D would have the same ports on the H6 backs, but the space isn't there.  Sync in & sync out would be amazing, I could see this being used with a Cambo Actus with a new rear plate.

I need the cable release Hasselblad, please, pretty please????
Could the USB-C port offer a way to add a cable release and maybe other wish-list items via accessories and firmware upgrades?  The bandwidth, speed and power handling of that port and the latest USB protocol is quite impressive.

Anyway, thanks for the report!

vjbelle

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 09:51:25 am »

Would you not also need some form of wakeup mode, as on a Phase back, or a zero latency type setting?  Not sure if the X1D has any of that in the design?

Paul C

Yes...... but that could be done with a PC adapter at the hot shoe.  I'm assuming that the camera would have some sort of wake up capability that could be triggered from the hot shoe.  Won't work without that. 

Victor
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 10:01:40 am by vjbelle »

vjbelle

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 10:05:37 am »

Yeah, I believe you're right, Paul.  However, I understand that the CFV-50c works on a 501cm with no wakeup cable so...?

I believe the back was triggered by the same mechanism that sets the film back to show an exposed frame.

Victor

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 10:52:46 am »

The CFV backs enjoy a mechanical coupling with the old blackout slide interlock.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Joe Towner

Re: X1D hands on: using USB-C to add cable release etc?
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 04:38:08 pm »

Could the USB-C port offer a way to add a cable release and maybe other wish-list items via accessories and firmware upgrades?  The bandwidth, speed and power handling of that port and the latest USB protocol is quite impressive.

A USB-C implementation would be horribly complex with too many parts and would be the most expensive cable releases on the market.  I prefer the E3 2.5mm style, though they'd have to do a 3.5mm style to reuse the mic/headphone plug.

Theodoros

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 05:09:10 pm »

Theo, while I could see that happening (although I don't think it's highly likely) I expect that would be a straight mount adapter like the Metabones, not something that would work in conjunction with a view camera.  I'd love to be wrong, though.

Even if it is a straight mount adapter Chris, it then is easy to have the interface on a view camera... All you have to do is use two extention rings, one for the dedicated lenses of the camera and another for the lens that the adapter makes compatible and then make and extension chord by using the three in series... 

AreBee

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 05:36:53 pm »

Integrate a shutter within the adapter.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 07:29:40 pm »

If this Blad had built in shutters, I would be rethinking my whole system! 

On the bright side though, hopefully Hassy really is reading all of these comments, along with P1, and will release v2 with shutters built in.  Also, it does seem that mirrorless will be pushing back illuminated sensors with better acute angle response then our current sensors, making for compatibility with fully systemic lenses a possibility again.   

If both of these are the case with v2, or if P1 decided to jump on board, I would buy one and have a custom adapter made for my RM3Di in a second. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 07:33:03 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 10:57:38 pm »

If both of these are the case with v2, or if P1 decided to jump on board, I would buy one and have a custom adapter made for my RM3Di in a second.
it would be handy to have the camera body work as a back on the Arca.

would the extra flange distance limit the lens choices?  Seems my 40 and 28 both need to get closer than the extra 18mm flange distance would allow.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 11:14:44 pm »

it would be handy to have the camera body work as a back on the Arca.

would the extra flange distance limit the lens choices?  Seems my 40 and 28 both need to get closer than the extra 18mm flange distance would allow.

I am assuming that I would need to have custom recessed lens boards made too!
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 03:33:48 am »

I am pretty shure Hasselblad doesn't have too much interest in allowing the X1d to be used like a digital back, otherwise they would have stated it and they would cannibalise their back sales
-------------------------
[url=http://ww
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up