Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Sony Alpha  (Read 13219 times)

Ben Rubinstein

New Sony Alpha
« on: June 05, 2006, 04:58:10 pm »

Will this be the first DSLR to have a decent screen, one that can be used outside even in bright conditions? According to DPReview it will use the Sony anti reflective screen.

About bleeding time! Utterly rediculous that it's taken so long.

Kenneth Sky

• http://
New Sony Alpha
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 09:07:11 pm »

Can't wait to get my mitts on it. Then my KM 7D will be relegated to backup. Since the Alpha 100 is based on the 5D, I expect the "200" will be based on the 7D. I was surprised they haven't gone to a 3" screen with a live histogram but maybe they are saving some features for the step up dSLR. One feature not noted is MLU but I suspect it is hidden in the 2 second delay as in K-M's. The anti-static coating with dust shake may make my Arctic Butterfly redundant.

Graeme Nattress

• http://www.nattress.com
New Sony Alpha
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 09:03:48 am »

Good competition is always valuable. This Sony move might shake up Canon and Nikon to produce better products, which is good for all of us, no matter which we choose.

Graeme

Rokcet Scientist

New Sony Alpha
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 09:21:21 am »

Meanwhile, as brands disappear we get less and less choice, and more and more risk of kartels.
Both bad for us.      

BJL

New Sony Alpha
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 04:45:54 pm »

I was surprised they haven't gone to a 3" screen with a live histogram ...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67492\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
A live histogram requires a live video output from the sensor, which Sony does not seem to have in its SLR sensors yet, though I can imagine it coming soon. The sensor for the R1 does have "video viewfinder" ability and is only sightly smaller than the A100's sensor, but it also seems to have worse noise than the D2X sensor despite both being CMOS with the same photosite spacing of 5.5 microns. So maybe a video VF still comes at a cost in image quality, at least for Sony.

Likewise, a bigger LCD will probably make more sense when the LCD functions as a video viewfinder.

MrIconoclast

New Sony Alpha
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 04:58:23 pm »

No doubt about it!  Having read the pre-reviews of the pre-introduction version of the Sony Alpha A100, I will  be soon switching to Sony.   But, not quite yet.  

First, I want a camera body that uses memory-sticks not  CF cards!

I also would like the name changed to something that fits in with other Sony names and is more snappy like "PhotoMan".

Also, since photo files are getting bigger and bigger, how about some type of blue-ray read/write system for storing the images and bypassing memory cards (oops!  I mean memory sticks!).   OK, skip my first demand and go right to blue-ray storage on the DSLR.  Let's stop fooling around with half measures.

Finally, like most photographers, I don't like the idea of my digital images being stolen from me and used without my permission.  Perhaps Sony could put some type of copy protection scheme into their raw file processing software that would keep others from making unauthorized copies of my work.  I hear they already do that with music.  

Yup,  all you folks who spent big $$$'s switching from Nikon to Canon, you can now spend more money switching to Sony.  You suckers who kept the KM equipment when all others abandoned ship, should be might happy campers about now.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 11:09:35 am by MrPaul »

Kenneth Sky

New Sony Alpha
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 08:48:07 am »

I'm not sure what to make of the previous post. Is it tongue-in-cheek sarcasm or delight that Sony as introduced renewed competition in the dSLR market? It doesn't help to move the discussion forward. Let's concentrate on the positives but not forget mistakes made in corporate policy by Sony. For instance, in his review of the R-1, Michael positively gushed over the lens. That same lens is slated for release in September (although at a price that exceeds the R-1) thus creating a great travel camera capable of providing high quality pictures.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
New Sony Alpha
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 09:49:10 am »

I'm not sure what to make of the previous post. Is it tongue-in-cheek sarcasm or delight that Sony as introduced renewed competition in the dSLR market?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67607\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It must be serious. By the Inviolable Rules of Internet Communication, if it were tongue-in-cheek it would have to contain at least one smiley.  

No smiley, ergo not tongue-in-cheek.    

E.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Grev

New Sony Alpha
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 10:15:37 am »

I'm not too fond of a Sony branded DSLR.  I will be uneasy to use it, and people might think I'm cool or uncool because of it.  

But it'll be a while till Sony will catch up to the other actual camera manufacturers.

MrIconoclast

New Sony Alpha
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 11:09:01 am »

I'm not sure what to make of the previous post. Is it tongue-in-cheek sarcasm
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67607\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Definetly meant to be humorous.

On a more serious note, I am glad that the KM owners have new options.  And the competition will only help.   I do wonder if Sony will really fully compete with Nikon and Canon, or if they will be more like an Olympus.  Developing a full system that is useful for pros and serious amatuers is an awfully big task.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 11:14:04 am by MrPaul »

Kenneth Sky

New Sony Alpha
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 11:03:48 pm »

Sony has deep enough pockets to compete but only time will tell their intentions. We'll get a preview    when they introduce the second dSLR this summer (as per their earlier blurbs). If the A100 is intended as the entry level camera, they have at least 2 options - base the next unit on the K-M 7D or following the Maxxum series build to the standards of the pro grade 9. Of course they could come out with an entirely new Sony unit but I don't think they've had enough time for the R&D. No one knows their business model. Is it just to get volume sales or to get a flagship model out? The local advertising in Toronto seems to indicate that they are trying to drive sales of lower end models by pointing out that they produce the A100 with all its technological advances.

Dennis

New Sony Alpha
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 06:20:06 am »

Sony has deep enough pockets to compete but only time will tell their intentions.
That's definately not true, Sony is stricken.
link
link
Best Regards

Dennis.

MrIconoclast

New Sony Alpha
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 03:17:08 pm »

Sony has deep enough pockets to compete but only time will tell their intentions. We'll get a preview    when they introduce the second dSLR this summer (as per their earlier blurbs).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67750\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think it will take more than another body, no matter how advanced, to make Sony a real player in the minds of pros and enthusiast amateurs.    It takes a system.  Now, if Sony develeloped a flash system as good as Nikon, a lens system as good as Canon,  that would be different.   But, I really doubt if they are going to produce many 600mm telephotos, 200-400mm f/4 zooms, micro-photography flashes,  and tilt-n-shift lenses.

Of course, I could be wrong

DarkPenguin

New Sony Alpha
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 03:55:57 pm »

I wonder what kind of commitment Sony has to this market.  Even if the one body they have announced is great they still only have one body.  They claim a desire to gain a big part of the market.  What happens when they don't get that?  Do they muddle along or do they pack it in?  I think that is the interesting question.

Dennis

New Sony Alpha
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 09:24:11 pm »

Even if the one body they have announced is great they still only have one body.
Check the Sony site or the Sony online shop for their system. With the body, they announced 20 lenses. 6 or so to be released with the camera, the rest later this year. Including Zeiss lenses and things like the famous STF. Further, they continue a bunch of accessories like flashes, remotes ad stuff. More lenses planned for next year, and further bodies in the $2000+ region. It's way more than only one body, what has been anounced.
Best Regards

Dennis.

jd1566

New Sony Alpha
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 12:42:55 pm »

As DSLR's seem to be where the money is I am sure that Sony want to make a good impression and become a serious player.  By serious I mean challenging Canon.. forget even Nikon!  This will take time, but as an electronic goods company they are in great shape to compete with the rapid lifecycle of DSLR's these days, especially Canon.  Add to that the fact that Sony also makes it's own chips and together with the KM platform they have a winning recipe.  However to win they must really listen to consumers, and see what the others aren't offering.  Canon for all it's might is still missing the damn MLU button, so I would suggest to Sony to offer it sooner rather than later.  Nikon seems to be offering everything (including pro level consumer cameras such as D200) except a full frame sensor.. and seeing as Sony is committed to continuing some of KM's lenses, which are optimised for 36x24mm film.. I would venture that Sony will eventually bring out a full frame body...

In my mind Sony has been shopping for an SLR body for a while.. perhaps toying with Nikon (for example joint product development for the DSLR sensors) but finally opting for KM which by buying it outright now controls completely.   Obviously as a company the size of Canon (a behomoth) it will want to seriously compete.  Whether it will go all-out into the professional segment is the big question.  I doubt it, at least in the short term, but this will not preclude the production of "professional level bodies".  
What does this mean? Well, both Canon and Nikon assure their pros extra service, such as lens loans and urgent repair services.  I doubt Sony will be interested in as much... BUT as serious amateurs probably account for more sales of "pro" gear, Sony  may aim their products at them.. This will mean a cheaper product with as good quality.. or better.

As for assuring a product line Sony seems determined to appear serious.  Their initial lens selection, a high quality DSLR "consumer" camera, and an integrated selection of accessories mean they are here to stay, whatever the big boys may wish to think.  You have seen the tip of the iceberg.. a lot more has yet to come (no, I don't work for Sony.. my crystal ball just seems very clear at the moment).
HOWEVER the product roll-out of a new DSLR lineup will take time, at least a few years, as it gains market share and getS people onto the product upgrade cycle (like Canon).  so be patient..

Overall.. a serious player with pretty serious products..

just don't hold your breath for a Full Frame quite yet..
B&W photographer - Still lifes, Portrait

Peter McLennan

New Sony Alpha
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 08:42:14 pm »

Most interesting to me is the fact that Sony can offer a body and kit lens with this level of performance at the sub $1000 level.  Bodes well for those of us waiting to buy.

Nikon, are you listening?  Your D200 offers equivalent performance at more than TWICE the price.

Slough

New Sony Alpha
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 02:27:26 am »

Nikon, are you listening?  Your D200 offers equivalent performance at more than TWICE the price.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68033\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It doesn't. The D200 has 'minor' extras such as a mirror lock up, 5fps, a magnesium frame .... and so on.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 02:27:49 am by Slough »

Peter McLennan

New Sony Alpha
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 11:37:35 am »

It doesn't. The D200 has 'minor' extras such as a mirror lock up, 5fps, a magnesium frame .... and so on.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68058\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK, I shoulda said "image performance".  

Mirror lockup may be a part of the self timer function.

fps on the Sony remains to be seen.  For most users and especially landscape photographers, this is a non-issue.  Sports guys, please ignore.

At that price, a magnesium body I can do without.

My Nikon 70-200 VR extends my photographic chops significantly.  Having anti-shake on ALL my lenses is very tempting.

Not that I'm seriously thinking of jumping the Nikon ship yet, but I do think it points out where we're heading.  Lower cost, higher performance.  In BIG leaps.  Gotta love it.

Peter

barryfitzgerald

New Sony Alpha
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 12:17:59 pm »

Its def interesting! I have a KM5D, and welcome the fact that the a mount continues. I am no sony fan though..but little choice.

I am a little alarmed at the high ISO samples (1600), they dont seem so great. But its too early to say really.

What is a concern for the market its aimed at (entry level), is the £599 with a lens price, and £499 without. Not that this is expensive, it seems that with uk prices for the Canon EOS 350, and Nikon D50, both with lenses are about £470 and £370..

Seems odd to me that they are priced a fair bit above the competition. I estimated about £499 with a lens.

DR stuff looks interesting, super fine jpeg missing is not good, not sure about the ISO button moving to the dial either. still overall looks pretty good, anti dust too. I dont think it will challenge the C&N cameras a lot, unless they price it at a similar level.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 12:18:35 pm by barryfitzgerald »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up