Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drying time / color change experiments  (Read 1393 times)

Doug Gray

Drying time / color change experiments
« on: July 07, 2016, 06:23:38 pm »

I took a look at the drying characteristics of the Canon 9500 II inks.

The test was done on a Epson ultra prem glossy 4x6 at 72F and 55% RH. A standard PDI Colordisc reference photo was used with margins leaving about 10% of the surface unprinted. Drying rate was measured by weighing the print to a resolution of .0001 grams.

In summary, there are two phases to drying. The first is evaporation of the water content of the ink. This occurs very rapidly. About 90% of the non-bound water content evaporates within 8 minutes. 99% within 20 minutes.

The second phase is a gradual evaporation of the less volatile portions, presumably a miscible glycol of some sort and is much longer. Approximately half of this evaporates after 48 hours but this is based on the weight of a long dried similar reference print and there is significant variation sheet to sheet.

Shown are the respective charts of the excess weight compared to a weeks old reference, in grams over 30 minutes and 40 hours showing both the water evaporation and much slower glycol evaporation.

There is also a much more significant shift in colors for these two phases with most of the color shift occurring within the first few minutes from the water evaporation. This makes sense as the water will materially shift the index of refraction on the pigment's coated surface. This test was run by printing a colorchecker and measuring the stats on the 24 patches.

Measured were the patches immediately after printing, after 30 minutes, and after 40 hours. There was an average change of approximately 0.23 dE2000 after 30 minutes and an additional .11 dE2000 after 40 hours.

So, if you are in rush, do wait at least half an hour. More if you are in a humid environment. Before scanning for profiling.

John Nollendorfs

Re: Drying time / color change experiments
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 11:13:22 am »

Good stuff Doug!

Royce Howland

• Vivid Aspect Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 08:55:14 pm »

Nice work, Doug. This dovetails with my experience. It's nice to see somebody use a reasonable method and some persistence to come up with a solid foundation to the experience. :)

unesco

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 02:23:05 am »

The results confirms my experiments but with dye ink (InkThriftCL on Epson1400 with RC). During the first 5 minutes colours change like crazy but after 15 minutes they become stable. I haven't tried pigment inks yet and fine art media.
Pages: [1]   Go Up