Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: X-T2 is out, (offically) Who is interested  (Read 55641 times)

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Re: X-T2 is out, (offically) Who is interested
« Reply #140 on: September 21, 2016, 09:50:12 am »

You are only getting 6mb???? I just took some compressed raw + fine jpgs, the raw files is around 26mb and the jpg is around 12mb, so that brings it closer in size to an uncompressed raw file size. Mine are running around 50mb in size for uncompressed raw files. So if you shot a uncompressed raw with a full size jpg you could be approaching around 75mb per file, I just don't see as that useful when you can generate a full size jpg with a raw file separately, embedding a full size preview does not make a lot of sense to me.

With the dual card slots you could take the raws on one card and the full size jpgs on the other, review and look at those jpgs and toss them if you don't need them and then flag the corresponding raws for processing later.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2016, 10:29:25 am »

As I keep saying, Alan, shooting raw+jpeg has downsides. One has to decide to do so beforehand, it produces twice the number of photos to manage, and maybe extra cards to keep track of.

Full size previews make all the sense in the world. Nikon see this, Canon seem to do so too. If you are only able to review 1980x1280 pixel versions, you aren't making the best use of today's high res monitors. You can't use something like PhotoMechanic to review or output photos at 1:1 and are then forced to go through a raw converter, which adds a cost in time as well as not showing you the in-camera rendition. And as Fuji are pitching this camera into a professional market, even sports, they do need a full size preview in the file.

I will though try a few more raw + jpegs. I'm getting 26mb compressed raw, around 48, so even with your worst case 12mb JPEG it would be 38 or 60, not 75.

John

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2016, 10:50:06 am »

OK, just done a quick review:
  • Fine JPEGs average 10.026mb - sample size 43
  • Compressed raws average 24.993mb - sample size 1274

That makes my answer to Ron about 9mb - assuming Fuji use their existing fine setting.

John

Rand47

Re: Defective X-T2 body...
« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2016, 09:05:06 pm »

As reported in a previous post (below) my original X-T2 was defective.  Yesterday my camera store called and let me know the replacment body is in!  Hurray for Paul's Photo in Torrance, CA!  I picked it up today and all is well in my world again.  Given the short supply, I'm impressed with how quickly it was replaced.  In all the years I've been buying photo equipment, this was the first defective item I've ever had "out of the box."  Pretty good considering I've been at this since the 60's!

For those of you with both XPro and X-T2s, I found that mapping the "playback' to the lower pad button helps w/ not having conflicting muscle memory since the default playback on the T is on the left side of the body.

Happy camper here!
Rand

Hi, just an FYI, not a complaint. My X-T2 body will be going back to the camera store on Monday for a replacement.

The on/off switch is apparently defective.

Symptoms:
•Camera will spontaneously turn itself on, then turn off.
•This happens when I turn it off (it turns right back on, cycles, then turns off)
•Sometimes it turns itself on and stays on.
•Sometimes if I do something like touch one of the buttons, open the card door, etc. it will spontaneously turn on, cycle through starting up, then shut back down.
•Sometimes just holding and moving/ rotating the body will turn it on.
•Occasionally it won't turn off when I turn it off. Cycling the on/off switch finally turns it off.

Very weird. I did a reset and it didn't clear the problem. I'm familiar with Fuji (owning several cameras that work flawlessly) so it isn't pilot error.

Discouraging, but not the end of the world. Someone has to be in that very small percentage of folk who will get a random defect.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2016, 09:11:18 pm »

Yes, took your advice and mapped the playback to the same button.  Love that design on the X-Pro2. 

Just wish Fuji had allowed the bracketing to be the same also, i.e hit the top menu indent to go to bracketing, instead of having to turn the dial on the left (X-T2).

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2016, 12:54:19 am »

Jon,

No there is no full size embedded preview. I don't know of any camera manfacturer that has a full size jpg preview. They are all reduced as far as I know.

Alan

Hi Alan

I've written my own image previewer where I extract the JPEG from the raw files for viewing.  I have not looked at Fuji, but all the Nikon, Canon and Sony Raws have full size JPEGs embedded, so I think the opposite is true - almost all camera manufacturers have full size JPEGS embedded.  For some cameras I believe it is a an option.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

armand

• Photos
« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2016, 12:37:21 pm »

I got to use the X-T2 for roughly 10 days or so of intensive at times shooting in variable and difficult conditions.

Conclusion, it is a better camera in every way compared to X-T1.

Problems: corrupted the memory card in slot 1, a Lexar 1000x (UHS-II). Probably the datafile or so, was able to read it at home without issues. Pretty unnerving though despite the fact that it was using both cards as a backup to each other. The videos stay only on the card in slot 1, the 4K at least. The camera doesn't work without a card in slot 1 which my Nikon D750 has no issues with. The Lexar corruption problem doesn't seem to be limited to me.

The extra resolution is nice, so are the colors. Processing the files in LR easily gets to the wormy appearance even with detail at 100% sharpening. The files are decent but don't expect miracles compared to X-T1 when it comes to malleability and dynamic range, I think they are close. The lenses do look quite sharp with the 24MP at the receiving end.

Very configurable, I find it easier to use and to get to different settings compared to X-T1. I used the Q menu only once, out of curiosity. Buttons have significantly nicer feel to them also. The joystick is nice, I could probably be as fast with the 4-way controller but it lets the 4-way to be used for other functions, much nicer.

The new auto ISO is brilliant, as it has 3 autoISO, easily accessible from a function button. It would have been pure genius if one of then could have been linked to the focal length.

I used it only for landscapes so far so I cannot really comment of the focus.

The viewfinder is nicer for somebody who wears glasses like me. The shape of the eyecup is just right (I bought but don't get along the bigger eyecup for the X-T1, this one on the X-T2 fits me much better).

rdonson

« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2016, 01:45:16 pm »

Armand, I'm glad you had a good trip and the X-T2 worked well.

My initial thoughts are similar to yours.... better in every way compared to my X-T1.

I usually purchase Sandisk SD cards but their UHS-II Class 3 cards at 32GB and 64GB seem a bit pricey to me.  I've been using Delkin UHS-II SD cards (32GB and 64GB) without a problem in my X-T2.  They had a sale at B&H.  The Delkins aren't quite as fast as the Lexar but more than adequate for speed although I'm not shooting video.

Here's a link to the Fuji compatible SD cards.  Scroll to the bottom of the chart.  I doubt they're testing every card available.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/compatibility/card/x/ 
Regards,
Ron

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2016, 03:16:11 pm »

So far I am seeing a bit less of the wormy conversions issue for LR and X-T2.

Keeping sharpening minimal in LR then use focus magic or Piccure +.

Sad the Adobe can't spend a few bucks and pay for the knowledge Iridient has on Fuji Conversions.
It appears Adobe did their usual 1 pass wonder.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2016, 03:28:33 pm »

When you say wormy, what do you mean? Talking to a few people it seems common to apply 100% Detail to XTrans images (is that because of Pete Bridgwood's advice?) and I wonder if that's really such a good starting point for X-T2 images. At that level I see bits of "debris" on the lighter side of high contrast edges, and I'm finding a better starting point is 90 / 1 / 25 / 60.

rdonson

« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2016, 03:50:27 pm »

You cannot sharpen X-Trans files in Lightroom the same way you sharpen Bayer sensors.  Pete Bridgwood showed the way almost 2 years ago on this. 

Pete's blog outlined a good approach for the X-T1 here:

http://petebridgwood.com/wp/2014/10/x-trans-sharpening/

Recently he updated his recommendations for the X-Pro2 which should be the same or dang close for the X-T2.

Pete has the following recommendations as a starting point:

Amount  = 40
Radius   = 0.8
Detail    = 80
Masking = 0

They've worked well for me.  It's easy to get the "wormy look" by oversharpening.

Martin Evening recently wrote an article and had the following suggestion for Fuji X-Trans as:

Amount   = 45
Radius    = 0.9
Detail     = 15

Luminance NR = 35

Martin Evening's recent article was about CaptureOne vs Lightroom and can be downloaded here"
http://4bcokm12bvu948gi7312gnab.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/Lightroom%20vs%20Capture%20One%20Pro.pdf

So far I think Pete Bridgwood's recommendations work best for me.  On high ISO shots I will also use some masking at around 50.
Regards,
Ron

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2016, 04:15:18 pm »

It's worth playing with the settings to find out what works with your images.
For processing out of LR this works for me:
Amount =25
Radius =0.8 to 1
Detail = 84
Masking usually zero
NR off

Then I send the exported tiff file to Topaz Detail III, setting "overall detail light II" with deblur = 16 and the layer opacity about 40%.
Then if foliage is not the subject I can mask it out to take advantage of the so-called Lightroom "painterly" look.
David

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #152 on: September 28, 2016, 04:29:26 pm »

When you say wormy, what do you mean? Talking to a few people it seems common to apply 100% Detail to XTrans images (is that because of Pete Bridgwood's advice?) and I wonder if that's really such a good starting point for X-T2 images. At that level I see bits of "debris" on the lighter side of high contrast edges, and I'm finding a better starting point is 90 / 1 / 25 / 60.

Wormy on pine needles and other leaves not close up but in the distance. I call it the plastic look myself. It's also easy to see on details on rocks like lichen where the finer details seem to just get smoothed over to the effect you get a over hardened edge on certain parts of a subject and in other area no details t all.

On portraits and close ups I don't see the same problem. LR renders out very well.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

rdonson

« Reply #153 on: September 28, 2016, 04:57:37 pm »

For those who follow Pete Bridgwood here's his article on how he processed in Lr and printed a 30"x20" landscape photo shot with the X-Pro2.  He even allows you to download the file to play with if you don't have the new sensor.

http://petebridgwood.com/wp/2016/02/x-pro2-render-my-raw/#more-1801

I'm anxiously waiting for him to share insights on the X-T2.

Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #154 on: September 28, 2016, 04:58:31 pm »

It's worth playing with the settings to find out what works with your images.
For processing out of LR this works for me:
Amount =25
Radius =0.8 to 1
Detail = 84
Masking usually zero
NR off

Then I send the exported tiff file to Topaz Detail III, setting "overall detail light II" with deblur = 16 and the layer opacity about 40%.
Then if foliage is not the subject I can mask it out to take advantage of the so-called Lightroom "painterly" look.
David

David, that sounds like an interesting workflow!
Regards,
Ron

armand

• Photos
« Reply #155 on: September 28, 2016, 07:04:06 pm »

Good tips although I'm familiar with many, so far none really worked well. Wormy is a classical description so I used it not to create confusion, to my eye it looks plasticky/painterly.
I'll try some of the new settings but I think LR is limited in what it can do.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #156 on: September 29, 2016, 02:46:13 am »

I was of course familiar with Pete's article (though thanks for Martin's) and he gives a lot of good advice, but I'd not looked so closely at so many XTrans files as in the last week. I'm just not that convinced by the 100 Detail starting point and think I like more Sharpening instead - these two sliders usually need balancing. And Masking seems under-appreciated. But it's only one week's photos (mainly architecture and people) and individual preference comes in - and I generally lean towards higher Sharpening but higher Masking.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #157 on: September 29, 2016, 08:11:52 am »

So far I've used the detail at 100% with masking at 10 and sharpening either left at 25 (the default) for mild sharpening or up to 39 or so for more intensive sharpening.
It doesn't seem to be working so well for the X-T2. Truth being told I was never really happy for X-T1 either but it was better than some.

rdonson

« Reply #158 on: September 29, 2016, 08:47:36 am »

I've only been shooting with the X-T2 a couple of weeks so I'm not sure where I'll end up with Lr settings. Armand, as you say, it's different beast from the X-T1.  The increase in resolution and the new processor seem to make a big difference.

For the X-T1 I created a bunch of presets for Lr derived from Pete's starting points and I was quite pleased with what I could get. Using those presets for the X-T2 simply don't produce the results I want.

I'm doing a lot of tests looking for what works with the X-T2. Pete's X-Pro2 settings are a good starting point for me so far. I've also been shooting RAW+JPEG because I'm amazed by the Fuji JPEG magic. I then use the JPEG to see what I have to do to beat it from the RAW. This has convinced me that for the sports I shoot I will be taking JPEGs. Triathlons that I photograph can result in 1000-1800 shots so good looking JPEGs can result in a huge time saver.

In a couple of days I'll be off to the NC Blue Ridge mountains for a week of mostly landscape photography. That will give me a lot of work from which I will hopefully refine my Lr settings.

P.S.  I'm using the latest version of Lr CC.

Regards,
Ron

JWB

« Reply #159 on: September 29, 2016, 10:48:21 am »

So Pete says to start with a detail of 80 and Martin says to start with a detail of 15. Wow, that's quite a difference of opinion!

Personally, my experience has been that neither of those suggestions works well for me as a starting point. I find that a detail of 80 is frequently way more than necessary and will sharpen any and all noise in the image, especially if the image was shot at anything other than base ISO.

I also find that a detail of 15 is too low, as LR wont' sharpen any fine texture. Frankly, when I start out, I'm culling first and in my first pass of culling, I'm assessing critical sharpness, so I need to see all the details.

So, I like to start with something like 35 for detail and amount around 60 or 70 so that I can see the edges clearly. Later, when I'm editing the photo, I'll adjust those settings, possibly reducing the amount. With higher ISO images or with portraits, I'll often lower the detail to 25 or 15 and with landscapes I sometimes crank up the detail to 40 or 50. After 50, LR implement deconvolution, which just doesn't seem necessary to me with my X-T2. My X-T2 images are already very sharp by detail of 40 or 50. (In contrast, my Nikon D800, which had an AA filter seemed to benefit much more from higher detail settings.)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up