Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: X-T2 is out, (offically) Who is interested  (Read 55751 times)

armand

• Photos
Re: X-T2 is out, (offically) Who is interested
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2016, 03:29:30 pm »

Adorama is showing them in stock and free overnight shipping. They told me when I called to check status on my pre-order that they received more than they had pre-orders for, so that might be an option.

I should have mine on Friday morning, they upgraded me to free overnight shipping so happy about that.....

Alan

That's where I ordered from, they were the only bigger site with them in stock. I'll see if I get along with it well in a couple of days before I decide taking it on the trip. While better (as in more forgiving) quality is desirable I need it to work well as I'm tempted not to get a back up camera (I usually get the RX100 mk1).
I'm curious to see if I can adapt my current L-plate from the X-T1; I know it's a little bigger but I have 2 identical L-plates so I can "play" with one of them.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2016, 03:55:38 pm »

Btw, the new battery type was in stock only at B&H.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2016, 05:09:53 pm »

That's where I ordered from, they were the only bigger site with them in stock. I'll see if I get along with it well in a couple of days before I decide taking it on the trip. While better (as in more forgiving) quality is desirable I need it to work well as I'm tempted not to get a back up camera (I usually get the RX100 mk1).
I'm curious to see if I can adapt my current L-plate from the X-T1; I know it's a little bigger but I have 2 identical L-plates so I can "play" with one of them.

I have heard the door won't open or close with the X-t1 l-plate, I am sure they will come out soon with l-plates.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Rand47

« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2016, 01:36:14 am »

I picked up my X-T2 and Vertical Battery Grip today.  Spent the late afternoon getting it configured.  Size wise I was expecting the newer "more square" battery grip and the slighly larger size of the camera body to be noticeable.  It's not.  Feels a little better, if anything.

This camera is considerably more complex than the X-T1 in terms of set up.  The manual is typical mfg manual - as in not very detailed.  But I muddled through OK.  Configuring the fn buttons is much different than with the X-T1 and took me a little while to figure out how to do it.  Once I realized that you have to menu-dive to do it, Fuji's implementation is actually excellent.  I don't particularly like the implementation of AF Lock button/function compared to the X-T1, but I'll adjust/adapt.  One of the GREAT things is that the "playback" function is assignable to the fn buttons.  I moved it to the front button so that I no longer need to do the two-handed tango to quickly get to image review.  Bravo...

AF is much faster.  The "joy-stick" for moving/sizing the AF target is wonderful and works as it does on the X-Pro2.   High ISO is flat out amazing compared to X-T1. 6,400 is very usable. 12,800 usable in a pinch and with some care in PP.  Dynamic range increase is wonderful and is as the X-Pro2, as one would expect.

Love that the grip comes with AC adapter that also charges the two batteries in the grip w/o taking them out of the camera.  Nice.  And the camera body's battery can be charged via the usb port while in the camera.  With three batteries I don't think I'll have to do much if any battery swapping in the field, and can just plug it in when back from a shoot w/o doing all the battery swapping/charging drill.

I'm impressed so far.  It is much more than an incremental step up from the X-T1.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2016, 03:33:37 am »

The "joy-stick" for moving/sizing the AF target is wonderful and works as it does on the X-Pro2.

From the perspective of someone who hasn't owned a Fuji, the joystick was something that I really liked when I spent an hour with an XT2.

Love that the grip comes with AC adapter that also charges the two batteries in the grip w/o taking them out of the camera.

I like this capability too, though I wasn't so keen on how the camera felt with the grip attached. Maybe that's because I had already noticed how much I liked the basic camera's feel with the 18-55, and also because I wanted a smaller camera. The grip wasn't a show-stopper though, and I expect I'll see it as a possibly-unpleasant necessity.

In the UK, Warehouse Express don't appear to have enough stock to satisfy pre-orders, so I'll just have to wait. [Update] Having just checked my back-order, there's now a green button against "in stock"....
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 05:09:51 am by john beardsworth »

rdonson

« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2016, 07:31:34 am »

B&H notified me that my X-T2, vertical grip and batteries have shipped and will arrive Monday.

I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces when it arrives.
Regards,
Ron

Rand47

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2016, 10:29:48 am »

,,, had already noticed how much I liked the basic camera's feel with the 18-55 ...

I agree.  Unforturnately for me, I have very large hands and the grip makes "my" grip on the camera much more comfortable.  Also, with the X-T2 it seems that its masimum performance in AF is dependant on the boost mode.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2016, 11:12:06 am »

Unforturnately for me, I have very large hands and the grip makes "my" grip on the camera much more comfortable. 
Big hands here too, but this is obviously individual taste and may vary with time, circumstance, lens. Maybe what I was noticing was how the grip particularly changes the camera's character so it no longer feels so small? Whatever, it was something I particularly noticed.

Also, with the X-T2 it seems that its masimum performance in AF is dependant on the boost mode.

Yes, and I often shoot way over 400 frames in a session. That tipped the balance in favour of getting the grip.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2016, 04:34:07 pm »

I got mine this morning had it delivered to work. Not a lot of time playing with it, just at lunch. Love the way the buttons feel, the joystick is wonderful. The tilting of the screen is really a bonus in two directions. I think I am going to like the lock and unlock of the ISO and shutter speed dials. Lots of nice enhancements, hope to do some testing over the weekend.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Rand47

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2016, 08:10:10 pm »

I got mine this morning had it delivered to work.

Alan,

Glad it arrived!  Do me a favor and give me a subjective sense of the on-off switch.  Is it "crisp and clicky" or more "smooth and soundless"?

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Rand47

Defective X-T2 body...
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2016, 10:18:53 pm »

Hi, just an FYI, not a complaint. My X-T2 body will be going back to the camera store on Monday for a replacement.

The on/off switch is apparently defective.

Symptoms:
•Camera will spontaneously turn itself on, then turn off.
•This happens when I turn it off (it turns right back on, cycles, then turns off)
•Sometimes it turns itself on and stays on.
•Sometimes if I do something like touch one of the buttons, open the card door, etc. it will spontaneously turn on, cycle through starting up, then shut back down.
•Sometimes just holding and moving/ rotating the body will turn it on.
•Occasionally it won't turn off when I turn it off. Cycling the on/off switch finally turns it off.

Very weird. I did a reset and it didn't clear the problem. I'm familiar with Fuji (owning several cameras that work flawlessly) so it isn't pilot error.

Discouraging, but not the end of the world. Someone has to be in that very small percentage of folk who will get a random defect.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

armand

• Photos
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2016, 07:57:17 am »

These are the kind of reports that get me worried and wonder if I should get the X-T2 in my next backpacking trip. It's tempting but only if it's going to be reliable.

Rand47

« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2016, 08:59:54 am »

These are the kind of reports that get me worried and wonder if I should get the X-T2 in my next backpacking trip. It's tempting but only if it's going to be reliable.

I would not hesitate to buy.  The only reason I posted my issue was to see if there were others who had the same issue - thinking that it might be a common defect.  In all the internet sites I visit that are Fuji relateted where I've shared my problem, no one else reports anything like this.  So, I think mine is just a manufacutring fluke that wasn't caught and is one among many thousands that are working perfectly.

Rand
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 10:16:40 am by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2016, 09:24:42 am »

Mine has been solid, sorry Rand had problems but that is probably just an outlier. The response for focusing is faster, I have had no problem using my wasabi batteries. I did try some BIF shots but it was in bad conditions, well after sunset and the winds were blowing pretty good and the birds were cruising really fast on the wind. Got a few shots, focusing was better than any previous Fuji. I do not have the grip and I was using the 100-400mm at 400mm. It is going to be a nice upgrade that is for sure.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2016, 10:51:50 am »

Just got mine today, including a 10-24 lens which you Alan and Ron were praising in the lenses thread. On / off switch seems normal.

I've been looking for something. Is there any way to display the battery status? I see 3 battery icons in the viewfinder, but is there a screen where I can see more info, eg percentages for each?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2016, 11:17:10 am »

Hi John,

Try cycling through the disp back button, as on the X-Pro2, one of the screens will show a percentage for the battery, and one only just shows the batter icon.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2016, 11:40:04 am »

Got it, Paul, thank you.

John

armand

• Photos
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2016, 08:30:58 pm »

Just got to open the box and quickly set it up. First shocker, there is no more focus assist buton (I use it a lot on X-T1); luckily it behaves like the X-E1 where you press the rear dial.

A quick nuissance: is it too much to ask to have a charged battery in the box?

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2016, 10:14:51 pm »

A quick nuissance: is it too much to ask to have a charged battery in the box?

Yes. There are probably big insurance issues nowadays shipping charged lithium batteries around the world.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2016, 08:42:13 am »

First shocker, there is no more focus assist button (I use it a lot on X-T1); luckily it behaves like the X-E1 where you press the rear dial.

This is also how the X Pro 2 behaves. It's nice to have them handle mostly the same way.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up