Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Obama Photographer Personal Selection - Thoughts on Style  (Read 3768 times)

TropicalWilson

Obama Photographer Personal Selection - Thoughts on Style
« on: July 06, 2016, 08:34:29 am »

Saw this article and these images struck me as looking very 'out the box' and not post processed. I wondered what peoples thoughts were on the reasons why, the merits, critique etc.

http://occupydemocrats.com/2016/07/05/obamas-official-photographer-took-2-million-photos-8-years-favorites/

scyth

Re: Obama Photographer Personal Selection - Thoughts on Style
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 09:17:00 am »

Saw this article and these images struck me as looking very 'out the box' and not post processed. I wondered what peoples thoughts were on the reasons why, the merits, critique etc.

http://occupydemocrats.com/2016/07/05/obamas-official-photographer-took-2-million-photos-8-years-favorites/

he is not a weeding photographer, is he ? etc ...

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 09:34:26 am »

I like his photos, somehow the photographer's presence is not felt, which to me is the hallmark of a good event photographer.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 10:12:08 am »

... looking very 'out the box' and not post processed...

Just curious, what makes you say so?

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 10:43:32 am »

His job is to document. You do that best by getting out of the way as much as possible. Of course, it's impossible to escape the three decisions that always bias photographs: where the photographer stood, where he pointed the camera, and when he tripped the shutter.

Jim

scyth

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 01:21:21 pm »

His job is to document. You do that best by getting out of the way as much as possible. Of course, it's impossible to escape the three decisions that always bias photographs: where the photographer stood, where he pointed the camera, and when he tripped the shutter.

Jim

and @ the type of pictures posted he might as well simply do the video... less chance to miss the moment really, I hope WH has the budget for the storage  ;D

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 02:05:24 pm »

I hope WH has the budget for the storage  ;D

Compliments of the American Tax Payer...as always

Peter

scyth

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 03:11:25 pm »

Compliments of the American Tax Payer...as always

Peter

well, rather this than WMD adventure

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 07:03:30 pm »

I admit I find the question strange: is it necessary to justify not processing? He had plenty of real content, he didn't need to push local contrast to add zing to boring shots.

TropicalWilson

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 03:12:41 am »

I call the look 'out the box' because of dark areas without much detail (eg the suits). Im sure the images were carefully produced, they are good, but I wonder about aesthetic of processing and peoples views. Also, probably the 'realness' of the content is influencing my perception of the processing too.

Should unprocessed images be justified? No, but I do sometimes question the authenticity attributed to unprocessed images, given the extent of variation possible in camera, including engineers trying to make things pop by default.

Thanks for your views!

Pages: [1]   Go Up