Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Model (now x 2)  (Read 3849 times)

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
Re: The Model
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 05:46:03 am »

I guess my prejudice is that "record shots" don't need to be boring, and that the challenge of photography is to frame, focus, and time so that the content itself "pops".
Of course you can paint over your nudes like Saul Leiter... whatever works for you... but I have some performance record shots I'm quite fond of :)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 06:49:07 am »

Wow! Lot's going on in those images, Graham. I think the diagonal lines in parts of the face in the top one are bit of a puzzle and there are too many distracting shapes and colours in the second one.

Here's another model with a "normal" background.
R

I guess my prejudice is that "record shots" don't need to be boring, and that the challenge of photography is to frame, focus, and time so that the content itself "pops".
Of course you can paint over your nudes like Saul Leiter... whatever works for you... but I have some performance record shots I'm quite fond of :)
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 10:28:18 am »

are too many distracting shapes and colours in the second one.

Judgements are indeed personal :-) I prefer the "normal" photo to the more heavily processed one...

scyth

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2016, 11:05:02 am »

May I suggest a crop?

you may but crop more... much more

scyth

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2016, 11:08:05 am »

Thank you, Gaham
I used an old Metz potato masher unit on a bracket. The head was pointing up into a 45ยบ Lumiquest bounce adapter. I wanted the negative effect to reduce the (dark) impact of the rest of the people in the background.

The Lumiquest adapter is fairly small and that probably caused the catchlights in the eyes. There was not much ambient lighting and my sensor unit (IQ180) is a CCD one and cannot be used above 200 ISO, IMO. There was no designer lighting.

All the "effects" you noticed are caused by the slow shutter speed. I was trying to get an impression because I knew I had to use flash and I did not want a boring record shot.
R

and what was the point to haul CCD MF for this shot ? when you can't bring a normal light w/ you to saturate your sensels

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2016, 02:30:31 pm »

It's all I've got! I don't have a CMOS-sensored camera. I am not a professional. I knew there were other photographers with CMOS sensors to take the usual shots and I knew my CCD unit could not do what they could.
R

and what was the point to haul CCD MF for this shot ? when you can't bring a normal light w/ you to saturate your sensels
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: The Model (now x 2)
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2016, 03:10:21 pm »

It's all I've got!...

Poor chap! Time to start a Go-Fund-Me campaign to get him a decent point & shot, or at least a smart phone with a camera, instead of that awful Hasselblad contraption one needs to sell a kidney for ;) *

* Just a friendly teasing, folks

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2016, 04:20:10 pm »

Something with class :)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2016, 04:35:34 pm »

I'd prefer something with glass, thank you.

Seriously, please give me heaps (of money) so I can buy a 100MP CMOS sensor unit. I don't want a 50MP one with its limiting 1.4 crop.
R

Quote from: GrahamBy link=topic=111461.msg924387#msg924387 Is rubber eyecup for H1 prism finder user replaceable?=1469132410
Something with class :)
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up