Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mossbrae Falls  (Read 1143 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
Mossbrae Falls
« on: July 05, 2016, 10:59:31 pm »

I am looking at a 2012 "Photographing California" book by Gary Crabbe. At the time of printing the book, he states that the city of Dunsmuir posted that "the trail to Mossbrae Falls via the Union Pacific railroad is closed." He states that there is a plan to construct a trail from Hedge Creek Falls to Mossbrae. Does anyone know if that has happened? Or how to hike in??
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

dreed

Re: Mossbrae Falls
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 10:00:26 am »

I am looking at a 2012 "Photographing California" book by Gary Crabbe. At the time of printing the book, he states that the city of Dunsmuir posted that "the trail to Mossbrae Falls via the Union Pacific railroad is closed." He states that there is a plan to construct a trail from Hedge Creek Falls to Mossbrae. Does anyone know if that has happened? Or how to hike in??

How to hike in ... I am not going to give any directions. I've done the walk (in the summer of 2011), been there BUT, if I slipped and fell or stumbled at the wrong moment in the wrong place, my life was gone. Big trains go down that track (I was passed by several that were no more than a few feet away at a certain point with nothing between me and the train except respect and air.) If you want to go there then I'm sure you can find a way but understand that I'm not recommending or telling you to go. If you need more information, Google is your friend.

The Hedge Creek Falls are on the wrong side of the river to view the Mossbrae Falls so any trail to "view them" would need to involve a bridge being built over the Sacramento River (and it is a beast there in spring/summer!) The problem appears to be The Saint Germain Foundation that owns a small amount of land that the trail would need to cross. You can bet that The Saint Germain Foundation don't really care about being saintly and just care about $$. Thus progress on a trail to make viewing easy is blocked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up