Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New Camera Orbiting Jupiter  (Read 29497 times)

Telecaster

Re: New Camera Orbiting Jupiter
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2018, 05:00:05 pm »

Not shabby. Via Eichstädt and Doran.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2018, 05:03:41 pm »

Really not shabby. This one is a blend of three exposures, also via Eichstädt and Doran. Makes Jupiter look like the eyeball of someone really hung over.  :D  Like the previous pic this is from Perijove #12.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2018, 10:33:09 pm »

Here's a Perijove #12 JunoCam image from the southern hemisphere, close in taking time to an Eichstädt/Doran image above. This one processed by Kevin Gill.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2018, 12:47:41 am »

And here's an entire sequence of JunoCam pics from Perijove #12, processed by Gerald Eichstädt and Seán Doran. "Jupiter Descending," Seán calls it. Gonna be hard to top the images from this latest flyby, I think. They're almost too good.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2018, 05:11:09 pm »

Here's Kevin Gill's take on a Perijove #12 image of Jupiter's south equatorial belt. This belt occasionally disappears from view, as during 2009-10, due to clustering of ammonia ice clouds high in Jupiter's atmosphere.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2018, 04:32:05 pm »

Here's an example of a different take on JunoCam images, by a fellow named Don Davis with pre-processing by Mattias Malmer. I really like his gentler processing approach. From Perijove #12.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2018, 05:55:43 pm »

A pic from Perijove #7 (Sept. 2017), newly processed by Mattias Malmer and showing Jupiter's moons Europa & Io just above the planet's limb.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2018, 04:06:38 pm »

Check out the atmospheric undulations in this JunoCam pic. Processed by Mattias Malmer.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2018, 04:56:20 pm »

Juno's 13th flyby (Perijove) of Jupiter happened on May 23. Rather than directly post pics this time, here's a link to Seán Doran's Flickr page of initial image processing passes.

Perijove #14 will be Juno's last unless it gets a mission extension. Given its success so far I imagine the Juno team will get the extension if they request it.

-Dave-

mbaginy

« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2018, 04:13:52 pm »

Truly amazing images!  Thanks for your postings, Dave.

Telecaster

« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2018, 10:57:31 pm »

Glad you're enjoying 'em, Mike.  :)  The JunoCam citizen scientists/image processors are all working on the Perijove #13 images. I'll probably post some of the more eye-catching renditions directly here.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2018, 03:49:20 pm »

Here's a contrasty take on a Perijove #13 JunoCam image of Jupiter's "South South Temperate Belt." Processed by Kevin Gill.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2018, 12:11:17 am »

Two images from Perijove #13 via Björn Jónsson. I like his "enhanced true color" palette.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2018, 05:15:00 pm »

NASA has given the Juno mission a three-year extension. Hurrah!

http://www.businessinsider.com/juno-jupiter-mission-extended-2018-6

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2018, 04:43:39 pm »

Two versions of one image from Perijove #13 via Björn Jónsson. The first with "natural" color & contrast, the second enhanced.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2018, 03:37:51 pm »

Perijove (Juno flyby of Jupiter) #14 happened on July 16. Lotsa great versions of new images floating around already, as processing techniques and workflows get further refined. I've attached one I particularly like, processed by Jason Major.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2018, 03:30:36 pm »

Perijove #15 was a couple days ago. Here's a pic from Seán Doran via a processing pipeline created by Brian Swift. And also a version from the same source data processed by Kevin Gill.

-Dave-
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 03:37:01 pm by Telecaster »

Telecaster

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2018, 04:48:18 pm »

Another pic from the latest flyby (Perijove #15), processed by Kevin Gill. He says, "Map projected view of a white oval, an associated jet and a lot of WTF-type turbulence."

-Dave-

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2018, 05:55:42 pm »

I see an interesting problem surface (to use a really ambiguous sentence); due to the popularity of the clearance slider in modern imaging, they may be applying a similar function inappropriately on these images as well. This results in added depth and drama, which, while cool for the general public, unfortunately is not so useful in analyzing the surface compound.

Would be useful if they also release 3d pictures to see if the suggested depth shadowing actually corresponds with reality.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Telecaster

« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2018, 04:19:49 pm »

The JunoCam images are mainly for the general public. Juno has other imagers that the planetary scientists use, mostly looking at wavelengths outside the visible spectrum. Some folks working with JunoCam pics do use processes that "kick it up a notch" while others go for a more subtle look. Some do both and also put both versions online.

There are 3D renderings of JunoCam images too, some using depth data from other JunoCam instruments. I haven't seen any of these so far that haven't looked overcooked, but I've heard the processes are getting more refined. We shall see…

-Dave-
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up