Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Piccure+ v.3 anomaly?  (Read 11783 times)

Arlen

Piccure+ v.3 anomaly?
« on: July 05, 2016, 01:18:09 pm »

I know that some of you have tried and/or are using Piccure+ for deconvolution sharpening. I have previously tested the trial of version 2, and am now testing trial version 3. So far my tests confirm that v.3 shows a considerable improvement in processing speed. And I really like the way it sharpens some images, in particular macro shots where the aperture has been pushed small enough to enter the diffraction zone in order to get more depth of field. I would purchase it now, except for one issue.

I have encountered a strange problem with v.3 that I didn't notice in v.2. The problem is that after processing in Piccure+, some colors may be changed, in some cases dramatically. I first noticed it in a "real life" image that had some saturated greens, that became less saturated after processing with Piccure+. I have followed up with some color gradients, and found a similar effect on many saturated colors. It appears that processing in Piccure+ v.3 effectively converts an image from its original wide gamut color space (e.g. Prophoto or Adobe RGB 1998) to sRGB. This is so even though the profile tag doesn't change--i.e., if it was originally in aRGB, it still shows an aRGB tag after Piccure+ processing.

To show you what I mean, I'm attaching 3 tiff files that you can download and open in Photoshop or similar program. File 1 is a color gradient (originally from Wayne Fox and Jeff Schewe) that is in aRGB, with no processing. File 2 is the same except that it has been processed in Piccure+.  File 3 is the same as File 1, except it has been converted to sRGB. You should see dramatic color shifts in File 2 compared to File 1. File 3 looks almost identical (except for lack of sharpening) to File 2, strongly suggesting that the color change in File 2 was due to internal conversion to sRGB during Piccure+ processing.

I have communicated with Piccure+ support about the issue, but they had some problem opening the files I sent, and at this point I have not received a satisfactory answer. I'm hoping that there is something that I'm missing here, and that maybe one of our forum members can help me figure it out. Has anyone else noticed this issue? If you are willing, and you have Piccure+ v. 3, could you download File 1 (or use your own test image) and see if you can replicate my results?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Pictus

• Retouching
Re: Piccure+ v.3 anomaly?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 02:45:17 pm »

Same here...
Any color space that is not sRGB and we end with color anomalies...

Arlen

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 03:31:22 pm »

Thank you for the quick response. So it seems that it's not just me.

I didn't notice this problem when I was testing v.2, but I wasn't looking for it and the images I used may not have contained any colors outside of the sRGB space.

Given what the developers say about Piccure+ on their website, it seems this must be a bug, and not a "feature". As much as I like the way it sharpens some images, I suspect this will be deal killer if they don't get it fixed. We can't be expected to do all our work in sRGB.

http://relaunch.piccureplus.com/

"EASY TO USE, POWERFUL, DEVELOPED FOR PROFESSIONALS
A powerful standalone application with an easy-to-use batch functionality and full RAW support is also available—no third-party software is needed. piccure+ also supports a wide range of ICC color profiles and as a result accommodates your needs for color management. sRGB, AdobeRGB, and ProPhotoRGB are fully supported."

Perhaps the company's representative will weigh in here and provide more information.

earlybird

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 07:07:53 pm »

I do not know if I can be helpful but I am curious, and I have a license for piccure+ v3.

FWIW, I was able to open your .tif files in Photoshop CS6 on Win 7 x64.

I can see the issue you describe in the aRGB example that was run through piccure+, but I do not follow the logic of your conclusion.

I do not really understand what your example number 3 is meant to represent, can you elaborate on what it is? Has it been processed with piccure+ as well?

I processed your number 1 example in piccure+ v3, but I could only replicate the appearance of number 2 by using extreme settings in piccure+; settings that I would never use with an actual photograph. The most obvious result of those extreme settings is unpleasant ringing at the edges which, IMHO, would seem unsuitable for an actual photograph.

Finally, I suspect that there must be a better test than processing a carefully prepared gradient ramp through a deconvolution routine. It seems as if you would want to start with an example that has been "convolved", and ideally the transform function of the convolution would be somewhat similar to the character of the point spread function that a deconvolution algorithm anticipates. It's hard to imagine how a blind convolution routine can practically enhance the rendition of a subject that isn't relatively blurry as compared to a sharper rendition of the same subject.

My guess is that a colorful checker board type pattern that has been blurred may make a suitable test. At the least it would make the effects of ringing at the edges seem obvious.

I hope something above this is somewhat helpful or encourages further discussion.

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 11:26:57 pm »

Thank you for the quick response. So it seems that it's not just me.

You are welcome, I found out what the problem is...
Piccure+ convert to sRGB!  :o
Working with this file http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k3-ii/K32hSLI00100_HR.DNG.HTM

It is easy to spot with a wide gamut monitor because sRGB can not render the cyan in the fabric.
The image converted to sRGB and the Adobe/ProPhoto RGB version processed by Piccure looks +- the same...

BTW, the difference does not appear in the preview window, only in the final result.
Standard gamut monitor will not display the difference or very little.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 11:34:37 pm by Pictus »

Arlen

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 12:13:23 am »

Earlybird, thanks very much for taking the time to help sort out this issue. It is encouraging that you seem to be getting different results than Pictus and I did; it lends hope that maybe some setup conditions might be changed that will fix it. That said, here are my responses to your questions.

The 1_aRGB file is the starting file that has had nothing done to it; no piccure+, or anything else.
The 2_piccure+ file is the result after running 1_aRGB through piccure+ at its default settings.
The 3_sRGB file has not been run through piccure+. It is just the result of converting 1_aRGB directly to the sRGB color space. The purpose in providing it was to show that the color change in file 2 mimics the color changes seen when simply converting file 1 to sRGB.

After seeing that you brought up the possibility that the particular settings in piccure+ could affect the color changes we observed, I went back and tried a variety of different settings. The settings affected the amount and quality of the sharpening and artifacts, as expected, but made no difference in the color changes.

Concerning the possibility that there is a better test than a color ramp:
As I noted in my original post, I first observed the change in a "real world" photo that I was processing, where a deep green background was substantially and very noticeably changed in hue after processing in piccure+ v.3. I quickly realized, and testing confirmed, that the exact same change occurred if I simply converted the file to sRGB rather than putting it through piccure+. Other images that I had already processed in piccure+ had shown no such problem. But none of those contained colors that were outside of the sRGB color space, so if (as I was at that point suspecting) piccure+ was actually converting colors from aRGB (or Prophoto, when that was the original color space) to sRGB silently in the background, you would not expect to see much change in color in those cases.

So I chose a color ramp because it contains lots of colors that will change hue if converted to sRGB, and it lets us see very easily that the changes are happening. But I can tell you that I have tested this on a variety of other images, including Color Checker squares as you suggested, and in every case wide gamut colors that are not found in the sRGB space changed hue upon processing with piccure+, in the same way as when they were just directly converted to sRGB.

But I am very interested in your statement that "I processed your number 1 example in piccure+ v3, but I could only replicate the appearance of number 2 by using extreme settings in piccure+".  Could you possibly run File 1 through piccure+ again, at its default settings, and attach it to a reply post so that I can see what you came out with? If the colors are unchanged, then we need to figure out how your setup differs from mine and Pictus's.

Arlen

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 12:27:05 am »

I found out what the problem is...

The image converted to sRGB and the Adobe/ProPhoto RGB version processed by Piccure looks +- the same...

BTW, the difference does not appear in the preview window, only in the final result.

Yes, those are my observations and conclusions almost exactly. As part of its final "save" process--but not the initial preview--piccure+ v.3 is converting to sRGB. But it does not change the embedded profile tag in the file, which continues to report the initial color space (e.g., aRGB). On a standard (not wide gamut) monitor, the color space is very similar to sRGB, so the initial colors in a wide gamut space are mostly not accurately shown, and differ little after conversion to sRGB. But some of those colors WILL show up in prints, so most of us wouldn't want to lose them. Having piccure+ convert everything to sRGB obviates much of the benefits of using a wider gamut color space like Prophoto or aRGB as our working space.

As an aside to Earlybird:  Are you working on a standard or wide gamut monitor? If the former, that may exlain why you see little if any difference in color after processing with piccure+ v.3.

earlybird

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 08:21:22 am »

Hi Arlen,
 Thank you for explaining further.

I am realizing that I am probably not able to be helpful because I do not have a wide gamut monitor and so number 1 and number 3 appear, visually, to me to be very similar.

I did do some "tests" with "difference" overlays and think that I have realized the circumstances you are describing, so I suppose I have the same issue and had simply not noticed it.

The truth is, I like piccure+ but only choose its results over those of other capture sharpening solutions a very small percentage of the time. I have been making a lot of comparisons at that stage and then move ahead with what ever example I prefer. I guess I have not noticed the color shift, and that I have been more preoccupied with the character of the texture and contrast in my shots.

Good luck with this issue. I am sure to appreciate any possibility for improvement that you can alert Piccure too. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 09:07:00 am by earlybird »

picc_pl

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 11:06:05 am »

Hi,

the files we received were always corrupted - but we can open these examples for whatever reason.
1) piccure+ converts RAW files to sRGB by default (16-bit). Please keep in mind that 16-bit sRGB has the same amount of color information. 16-bit offers 2^16 colors per channel - irrespective whether you work sRGB or ProPhotoRGB or AdobeRGB. Unless you really know what you are doing we strongly recommend to work in sRGB as many browsers and devices cannot display other color spaces correctly and there is little use having a ProPhotoRGB image displayed on a display not even capable of showing sRGB.
2) In piccure+ if you start out with a ProPhoto color space (TIF) - it will remain ProPhoto. sRGB remains sRGB and AdobeRGB remains AdobeRGB. However, keep in mind: piccure+ recreates every pixel from the information of several hundreds of pixels in the neighboring region. Certain assumptions regarding the "true" colors have to be made which may lead to changes / limits. The basis for the assumptions are real life imagery. piccure+ thus works best with "real life images" - and not very well with artificial structures such as the color spectrum you showed. The anomaly you discover is not related to color profiles - but piccure+ cannot exactly work with these kinds of images as certain assumptions that are made in processing do not hold. Therefore the color rendering may not be what you wished it looked like.

I mean, piccure+ takes a look at the 16-bit color data that comes in as ProPhotoRGB/sRGB/AdobeRGB - it would be more work artificially transforming color spaces internally instead. Do you experience any problems with "real life imagery"?

The anomaly you discover is related to the artificial nature of the imagery.
Thanks.
Lui
Co-Founder

Edited for clarification.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:51:41 am by picc_pl »

picc_pl

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 11:41:09 am »

You are welcome, I found out what the problem is...
Working with this file http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k3-ii/K32hSLI00100_HR.DNG.HTM

It is easy to spot with a wide gamut monitor because sRGB can not render the cyan in the fabric.

... RAW files are converted to sRGB (see handbook).
I processed the DNG file on Photoshop (ProPhotoRGB, TIF), ran it through piccure+ (standalone) - and cannot see any "color shifts". The ProPhoto TIF file remained ProPhoto. The observation that piccure+ processes RAW files and saves them as sRGB is correct (DNG is a RAW file)- it's explained in the handbook. But we cannot confirm the observation that ProPhotoRGB files are "transformed and reduced to sRGB files". If color profile handling was incorrect, one would observe a color shift - it's not simply "wide gammut colors are clipped". An example of what happens if color profiles are not correctly displayed can be found here for example:
http://www.dpreview.com/files/p/articles/2693143833/colormanage.jpg

Respective article:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2693143833/ipad-3rd-generation-workflow

It's not just some "clipping".
But thanks for bringing up that issue.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:46:45 am by picc_pl »

Arlen

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 03:12:20 pm »

Lui, thanks for taking the time to assist with this issue. I was hoping you would weigh in.

First, let me make clear that my purpose here is certainly not to disparage your software. I really like the sharpening that it performs on certain types of images, and I would like to use it longer term. My purpose in testing and posting about it is to also understand its limitations, whether they can be circumvented, and if not whether to use it anyway under appropriate circumstances.

I agree that most colors in most normal photographs will fall within the sRGB space. However in a substantial minority of cases, there will be colors that fall outside sRGB but that are within Prophoto or Adobe RGB as well as, most importantly, within the gamut of many printers. Saturated green leaves, intense fall colors, and many flowers, for example. Usually we want to preserve those colors as much as possible. If that were not the case, there would be little reason for anyone to use a working color space other than sRGB; but many knowledgeable photographers justifiably do use wider gamut Prophoto or aRGB.

The color ramp tif (not raw) file that I used in my initial example is well suited to illustrate the point that I was making, which is that piccure+ version 3 changes colors in a way that mimics a simple conversion from a wide space to sRGB. Since that color ramp contains many colors outside of sRGB, converting to sRGB gives a unique and easily identifiable pattern when viewed on a wide gamut monitor. In my hands, processing with piccure+ v3 gives a visually identical pattern of changes. So if piccure+ v3 is not converting tifs to sRGB during its save process, it is doing a remarkably good job of imitating the color changes associated with that conversion.

Further, my experience is not consistent with your statement that "if you start out with a ProPhoto color space (TIF) - it will remain ProPhoto. sRGB remains sRGB and AdobeRGB remains AdobeRGB." It is true that the reported color space tag in the metadata remains unchanged; but the actual colors transform to exactly match what you would see by a normal conversion to sRGB. As I noted in my posts above, I have confirmed this on real world photographs (which is where I first noticed it), not just on artificially generated color ramps. The processed image may technically still be in Prophoto or aRGB space, but the colors within it look like sRGB, which is what really matters.

To demonstrate this with an image I don't think anyone can argue with, lets look at another example using a portion of a tif (not raw) file image prepared by well known photographer Bill Atkinson, and widely used by many photographers to monitor color management and the output of their printers. I'm inserting a jpeg image in sRGB space within this post, so that everyone can see and recognize the image I'm referring to.

I'm also attaching to the bottom of this post a larger tif (again, not raw) file of this image in the Prophoto color space (Atkinson Test Page_Prophoto.tif). Due to file attachment size limitations, I will attach to a subsequent post two other versions of this image. One of them started with the Prophoto image and was converted to sRGB in Photoshop (file Atkinson Test Page_sRGB.tif). The other one also started with the Prophoto image, but instead of converting it, it was processed with the piccure+ v.3 PS plugin at default settings and saved (Atkinson Test Page_Prophoto_piccure.tif).

Examination of the files in Photoshop on a wide gamut monitor shows that in the file converted to sRGB, several of the sub-images in the file show altered colors:  the green foliage of the forest on the left side, the orange fall foliage below it, the yellow flowers in row 3 of the second column, and the yellow foliage of the forest in the far right column are all changed (for the worse) in hue compared to the original Prophoto version. As of course are the color ramps at the bottom. The Prophoto file that was processed with piccure+ and saved shows identical color changes, while nevertheless retaining a Prophoto color tag in the metadata.

I welcome anyone with a wide gamut monitor to download these 3 files and compare them in a color-managed program like Photoshop. And if you are also willing to take the original Prophoto file and process it with piccure+ v.3, you can see for yourself whether the color changes as I have described.

Again, I'm not trying to knock piccure+ or discourage anyone from using it. Even if the behavior I describe here is intrinsic to the method it employs, and can't be changed, I may still use it for images where color changes don't occur (which is most of them). But I do think that if what I describe is accurate, then it should be clearly stated in the description of the product, so that users don't discover an unpleasant surprise after they have purchased it. That can't be good for anyone on either side of the transaction.

And if I'm just all wrong about this, please demonstrate it and I will happily recant my concerns. I would like to be wrong.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 03:36:56 pm by Arlen »

Arlen

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 03:34:50 pm »

Well for some reason the forum wouldn't let me upload the other two files that I mentioned above, Atkinson Test Page_sRGB.tif and Atkinson Test Page_Prophoto_piccure.tif.

But you can download them from HERE.

earlybird

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 04:19:28 pm »

FWIW,
 I looked at these images on my non-wide gamut monitor, and still can not see a difference.

My monitor is calibrated using a custom profile generated by an iDisplay Pro. My Photoshop working space is ProPhotoRGB.

I remain interested in learning if something is lost even if I can not see it on my display monitor.

Arlen

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 04:37:15 pm »

FWIW,
 I looked at these images on my non-wide gamut monitor, and still can not see a difference.

My monitor is calibrated using a custom profile generated by an iDisplay Pro. My Photoshop working space is ProPhotoRGB.

I remain interested in learning if something is lost even if I can not see it on my display monitor.

Thanks for staying involved. I don't think you'll see much of a difference on a standard monitor. The relevant colors in the Prophoto original image can't be displayed there, and are converted by your monitor profile to what is essentially an sRGB space; so it will look similar to an sRGB image.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 09:39:52 am »

I have noticed a similar issue, when I am using Prophoto color space, it's very slight, but the blues sometimes seem to change ever so slightly, however since the color space remains at prophoto, I had not really given it much notice, due to some other concerns I have with the program.
t
However as I tend to keep most of my output in the Adobe 1998 sRGB color space, the issue doesn't seem to show as much.  I do this since I always want have the ability to print and even the most modern Epson can't begin to approach the full gamut of the Adobe 1998 sRGB color space and can't touch Prophoto.    Also on windows, all printing is 8 bit at least from LR to Epson, so the higher end color spaces don't do much for me. 

The shift is very slight at least for me on a NEC 30" monitor, running spectraview.  I only noticed on outdoor images with a lot of blue or green. Have not tried a fall color shot yet.

Overall the gain in sharpness for me is enough to warrant continued use of the program.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Lundberg02

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 09:36:37 pm »

There is no Adobe1998 sRGB space. They are two separate things.

Arlen

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 10:10:30 pm »

Paul, it sounds like you have noticed some color changes after piccure+ processing, but didn't judge them to be very objectionable in the particular images where they occurred.

Would you mind downloading the file "Atkinson Test Page_Prophoto.tif " that I provided at the bottom of my post above (the one with the image in the middle), and running it through piccure+? You can convert it to Adobe RGB 1998 first if you want to, though that should not make any difference in the results. If you do it, please let us know if you see the same color changes in the image that I described in that post.

stormyboy

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 11:26:57 pm »

I don't know if it makes any difference in the subject of this thread, but I have noticed that very minor updates to Piccure+ are not announced via the program updater.  My software reports "up to date," but going to their website and running the current download version kicked my Piccure+ to version 3.0.0.25.  If the download offers to "repair installation," you can abort as it's the same version you have on your computer.

One might as well be testing the latest version.

Tom

Edit: Changed the word "upgrades" to "updates"
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 01:57:03 pm by stormyboy »

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 12:49:20 am »

I used the 3.0.0.25 version  :(

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 08:34:16 am »

Hi Pictus,

I have the Atkinson test image, and will try it out tomorrow to see. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up