Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: To post or not to post  (Read 11703 times)

synn

• My fine art portfolio
Re: To post or not to post
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2016, 04:15:12 pm »

The problem comes not from critique itself, but critique from people who have nothing to show as a body of work or at least, some proof that they possess an iota of artistic ability.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

landscapephoto

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2016, 04:22:52 pm »

The thing is it's not about me.   I photograph models and actors for commerce and when they receive negative comments, it's not just hurtful to their feelings, it also can affected their brand and commerce.

Same with clients and that nobody wants to see.

I loved sharing here and truly enjoy 99.999% of the people that participate, whether I agree with them or not.  As you say it's our decision to stay or leave and on that I'm kind of on the fence.

I just think the risk is high and I just couldn't stand it if the people I collaborate with in my profession had any negative blowback directed towards them, just because I shared an image.

Now what you are posting is important and I suppose that many members here ignore the damage they can do to one career with a negative comment. May I suggest you add something like this to your  messages: "You may comment on my pictures, but please do not comment on models or products pictured, as it may be detrimental to their image"? You may draft it as a signature, for example.

I suppose that is why you were upset by the comment that the young model looked like "someone from Mars". Probably eronald, who worked in colour science, referred to the green tint of her skin (Mars is supposed to have little green men, remember?), which you obviously manipulated on purpose. But many readers apparently understood that it was about her slightly frightened, detached look, as it indeed conveyed the emotion that she was alien to this world. The later would be a direct criticism of her looks, while the former is a simple comment that eronald prefers skin colours to look natural.

As a side note: this kind of colour manipulations are quite fashionable at present in the advertisement business, but maybe eronald did not realise that.

Ken R

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2016, 04:32:55 pm »

If I banned all the negative authors, the carpers and complainers, we would end up with a nice clean santized mono culture. Many might be happier with that.
Sorry folks, ain't going to happen on my watch. I ban only occasionally when the screeching irritates or when the civil compact is lost. This Forum is, for better or worse, made up of members from the public. It is not a private club but is free and open to all. You are free to come or go. You may choose to contribute or not - it is naturally entirely up to you. You make it or break it.

Not all negative authors just 2 or 3 would have done the trick. I agree that being open to the public is key for this and other forums and moderating is not that simple.

I choose to leave after 11 years, please delete my account and all my posts. Thank you.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2016, 05:00:09 pm »

Hi BC,

Thanks for explaining, I was not aware of that part.

I always enjoyed your writing, sometimes I would not agree, but that is a different thing. You used to be one of the great contributors to these forums, so you would be missed.

I see your point and have a lot of sympathy for it.

Best regards
Erik

Chris,

We all appreciate you and your efforts.  It's a very under appreciated job you do.

Since this last situation, I've been contacted by a lot of people, some asking me to stay involved, some understanding why I wouldn't.

The thing is it's not about me.   I photograph models and actors for commerce and when they receive negative comments, it's not just hurtful to their feelings, it also can affected their brand and commerce.

Same with clients and that nobody wants to see.

I loved sharing here and truly enjoy 99.999% of the people that participate, whether I agree with them or not.  As you say it's our decision to stay or leave and on that I'm kind of on the fence.

I just think the risk is high and I just couldn't stand it if the people I collaborate with in my profession had any negative blowback directed towards them, just because I shared an image.

Thanks for all you do.

BC
Erik Kaffehr

Rob C

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2016, 05:12:49 pm »

Not all negative authors just 2 or 3 would have done the trick. I agree that being open to the public is key for this and other forums and moderating is not that simple.

I choose to leave after 11 years, please delete my account and all my posts. Thank you.

Now that's lazy!

;-)

Rob

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2016, 08:50:18 pm »

I don't see the complaints as having anything to do with professional status or otherwise. Frankly I don't give a rat's arse how a contributor earns his keep, I will only gauge opinion based on experience and ability.

+1

Track record (of usefulness, to the individual if one is selfish, or to others) it is....

Personal issues/traits (either of a poster or reader) are irrelevant then.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2016, 10:04:24 pm »

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S074756321500268X

At least science tells us it is valuable to participate in online forum, if not in this forum. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 11:47:52 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2016, 12:11:53 am »

If one likes the work, then it's nice to say so; if not, then why say anything?

Rob C
Thanks for putting it like that, Rob.

That is exactly the way I see it. Outside of the Critique section, if I like something a lot, I will say so, and if I don't like it, I will keep quiet.

Eric M.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2016, 03:35:55 am »

I'd say that if all we saw was positive comments then it just becomes mutual back slapping and worthless congratulation. In my opinion one well expressed negative reaction can provide the impetus for change, growth and improvement.

But why should I give a shit? I rarely comment on images now and almost never bother to offer anything that can be construed as negative unless it's plain the author welcomes such.

If I was a pro I doubt I would publish anything here if I thought negative comments could harm my relationship with a client. I would only do so in a closed forum not available to the public/clients.

Mike

landscapephoto

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2016, 06:59:36 am »

But why should I give a shit? I rarely comment on images now and almost never bother to offer anything that can be construed as negative unless it's plain the author welcomes such.

My opinion exactly.

landscapephoto

« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2016, 07:05:48 am »

Something else. It seems that some members resent when members who do not use a MF camera post on this sub-forum. This is a picture of my H4D-50. I have seen other people using this method as a proof of owning a camera in other forums.

stamper

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2016, 08:19:55 am »

Something else. It seems that some members resent when members who do not use a MF camera post on this sub-forum. This is a picture of my H4D-50. I have seen other people using this method as a proof of owning a camera in other forums.

You mean you didn't borrow or steal one? ;) It doesn't prove anything. :)

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2016, 08:28:39 am »

You mean you didn't borrow or steal one? ;) It doesn't prove anything. :)

Wow, this is getting kind of ridiculous now. I never understood why somebody would have to own a medium format to post in this section. I very much prefer a good comment of a non owner to a stupid one from a MF user. As cooter mentioned in one of his unfortunately soon to go postings (still hope he´s just having a bad day, and I´m with Bart on this topic), this section was the place where most professionals are / were reading and contributing and it used to be the place where I could be reached. Now I have to check the lighting section as well… and I already feel I spend way too much time here.

landscapephoto

« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2016, 10:05:27 am »

Wow, this is getting kind of ridiculous now. I never understood why somebody would have to own a medium format to post in this section. I very much prefer a good comment of a non owner to a stupid one from a MF user. As cooter mentioned in one of his unfortunately soon to go postings (still hope he´s just having a bad day, and I´m with Bart on this topic), this section was the place where most professionals are / were reading and contributing and it used to be the place where I could be reached. Now I have to check the lighting section as well… and I already feel I spend way too much time here.

I never said or implied I was a professional.

The problem comes not from critique itself, but critique from people who have nothing to show as a body of work or at least, some proof that they possess an iota of artistic ability.

Neither did I say or imply that I possessed an iota of artistic ability.

...but fortunately for the forum, I don't post much. Maybe I should stop completely.

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2016, 10:35:08 am »

I never said or implied I was a professional.

Neither did I say or imply that I possessed an iota of artistic ability.

...but fortunately for the forum, I don't post much. Maybe I should stop completely.

Landscapephoto, I´m sorry you completely got me wrong. I could´t care less if you own MF gear or not, your opinion is very welcome to me. Looks like this is the week of the thin-skinned...

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2016, 10:35:45 am »

I believe that most points-of-view have now been expressed. Time to take a deep breath and move on. I have locked the topic. Send me a PM or Report to Moderator should you feel you need this topic re-opened.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up