Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.  (Read 10413 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com

someone please try to talk me out of wanting one!

On the other hand I may be willing to trade  my VG>EXC condition FLM 58FRT for a similar condition BH-55

My other tripod heads which see active duty include an Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball, an Arca-Swiss p0, and a Foba ASMIA, as well as the aforementioned FLM.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 05:00:01 pm by Ellis Vener »

jrsforums

Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? Never read a bad review of it.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 04:38:30 pm »

On the other hand I may be willing to trade  my VG>EXC condition FLM 58FRT for a similar condition BH-55

My other tripod heads which see active duty include an Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball, an Arca-Swiss p0, and a Foba ASMIA, as well as the aforementioned FLM.

Hey, Ellis

If you want a solid lock, the RRS is great. 

However, I usually want the ball head to lock down, but mostly have it just slightly lose so it can be smoothly moved around, but will stay in place when released.

The BH-55 is not smooth, but a bit gritty with so "stutter" points.

The A-S Z1 is probably best, with Markins next.

Others may disagree, but that is my experience.

John
John

Ellis Vener

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 04:59:24 pm »

This is literally the only criticism I have ever read or heard about the BH-55.

Hey, Ellis

If you want a solid lock, the RRS is great. 

However, I usually want the ball head to lock down, but mostly have it just slightly lose so it can be smoothly moved around, but will stay in place when released.

The BH-55 is not smooth, but a bit gritty with so "stutter" points.

The A-S Z1 is probably best, with Markins next.

Others may disagree, but that is my experience.

John

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 ? I've never read a bad review of it.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 05:29:15 pm »

I sure would consider a geared head like the Arca D4. I have the BH-55 but once I tried a geared head I only use the BH-55 for night work.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

jrsforums

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 06:00:20 pm »

I'd suggest that you have not researched it over the years....in multiple forums.

Here's one:

"...In real use, I find the RRS BH-55 to slip/stick when making fine adjustments at a tight friction setting while the Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 Ball Head remains smooth..."

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Arca-Swiss-Monoball-Z1-Ballhead-Review.aspx
John

Ellis Vener

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 06:08:15 pm »

I sure would consider a geared head like the Arca D4. I have the BH-55 but once I tried a geared head I only use the BH-55 for night work.

Paul C
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have used C1 but find that when I need a rational (double tilt) head with super-fine super-smooth  adjustments combined with granite like steadiness, nothing beats the Foba ASMIA http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/984126-REG/foba_f_asmia_p_asmia_p_dual_tilting.html

Ellis Vener

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 06:16:22 pm »

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have used C1 but find that when I need a rational (double tilt) head with super-fine super-smooth  adjustments combined with granite like steadiness, nothing beats the Foba ASMIA http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/984126-REG/foba_f_asmia_p_asmia_p_dual_tilting.html

Hi John,
Thank you for that. It does a pretty good job of persuading me to stick with my B1 Monoball for my 300 series Gitzo. The RRS BH-55 would be for my 410C Gitzo in place of the FTM head.My b1 is from last run of B1 Monorails and I have long since replaced the original clamp with a RRS PCL-LR panning clamp. I also have the earlier model PCL-1 panning clamps on both the Asmia and the A-S p0.

jrsforums

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 06:21:12 pm »

Another....older, personal(not mine) view...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2780364

"...three best heads are, in NO particular order: Arca Swiss Z1, Markins M10 (and likely M20), and RRS BH-55. Each head has its own unique features and weaknesses..."

"...the BH-55 is the least smooth of the three..."

"...Markins M10: well-built, the smoothest head especially under tension..."

"...Arca Swiss Z1: possibly the best balance of the three. Pretty smooth, closer to the Markins than the BH-55, but still not as smooth as the M10..."
John

jrsforums

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 06:25:10 pm »

Hi John,
Thank you for that. It does a pretty good job of persuading me to stick with my B1 Monoball for my 300 series Gitzo. The RRS BH-55 would be for my 410C Gitzo in place of the FTM head.My b1 is from last run of B1 Monorails and I have long since replaced the original clamp with a RRS PCL-LR panning clamp. I also have the earlier model PCL-1 panning clamps on both the Asmia and the A-S p0.

All my heads have the RSS lever clamp, which is superior to any other clamp, in my opinion....unless you like screw clamps. 

I think the newer Z1 heads may have a problem replacing the head...not sure...got mine earlier.  Markins, you can get their clamps "loose"...that is no locktite
John

Robert DeCandido PhD

• http://www.BirdingBob.com
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 02:06:24 pm »

well...I have told of this experience several times in the past few years:

while I was in Nepal in autumn 2010 and had a 500mm F4 (version 1) Canon lens with 5D3 mounted on the RRRS B-55, the ball head became hard to tighten (lock down), and then broke...as in the lens/camera fell off the ballhead (still in the lever clamp). Luckily I caught the lens/camera...When I got back to the USA I called RRS...they told me this was a known problem to them (so why hadn't they said anything to their customers to be aware/on the lookout for this?), and that the glue that holds the ballhead together sometimes weakened and fractured. They would be happy to repair it but since I did not have a receipt, they charged me for the repair and shipping...even though the ballhead looked brand new. (I had owned it for about two years.) To say I was disappointed with them would be an understatement...I will never buy anything new from that company again. Part B - add to that the situation in California where they were supporting the anti-marriage side of the Gay rights vote in California. Was that Proposition 43(?) in California where the owner of RRS was on record using his funds to try and stop the legalization of gay marriage (in the eyes of the government...had nothing to do with church recognized marriage). I would not support that company with my funds...Has he said he is now for marriage equality for everyone? Deborah and I have many gay friends in NY, California - the loss of benefits/rights when a partner dies is substantial. That is why we are saddened by the stance the owner took on the issue. And if you go back in the archives here at LL, this topic was discussed a few times.

I'll suggest an alternative to the BH-55 that is the same and costs half as much: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191772514068?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Robert DeCandido PhD
NYC

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 02:21:38 pm »

Hi, I had some heads…

Acratech Ultimate Ball Head, RRS BH-40, RRS-BH-55 and Arca Swiss D4. The D4 is the clear favourite. The Acratech was a very good head, except that mine did not have a lever type release. I used to mix up the the knob for the QR-release with the knob for pan-action, being near to drop my gear far to many times.

I am not so enthusiastic about the BH-55. It is a good head, but I don't think it is better than a lot of other heads.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Mary K

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 05:46:44 am »

I once had the RRS BH-40 and BH-55, but I found that the double drop down notch was a fatal flaw when used for landscape and macro photography.  IMO it is much better to have a single notch that you can keep lined up with the lens, and, in fact, RRS has changed the BH-40 so that is now has a single notch. I expect they will eventually change the BH-55 as well. I love the Arca Swiss D4 for landscape, architecture, product and macro work, and use the RRS gimble head for wildlife and stitching panos.
Mary Konchar

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 05:59:17 am »

I used to use the BH-55.  It's an exceptional head but precision alignment is difficult as has already been mentioned in this thread.  I read an article here on LuLa on the KPS-T5 and gave it a try and never looked back.  Here is an article I wrote on that which includes some comparisons to the BH-55:
http://www.ejphoto.com/Quack%20PDF/KPS%20Research.pdf
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 08:11:45 am by E.J. Peiker »

brianrybolt

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 07:32:40 am »

I switched to a UniqBall about 1.5 yrs. ago and haven't looked back.  It is unique, very sturdy and light in weight.  I think it was reviewed here about a year ago.  Website:  http://www.uniqball.eu/ubh45
Check it out.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 08:31:37 am »

I use the BH-40 head from RRS;
Sturdy enough; cheaper and much lighter than the BH-55.
If you do not need to use it with long tele-lenses it will do very well.
Never have had any problem with it during 6 years intensive usage.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Ellis Vener

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 09:09:26 am »

General reply to comments:

I really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to comment on this, it has been very helpful in making up my mind not to purchase one at this time.  The two points which pushed me back from the edge  are:

- the repeated comments like this one from John: "The BH-55 is not smooth, but a bit gritty with so "stutter" points."

and Robert's comment about his head (which dates to 2010, which admittedly is a long time ago so things may have changed) about the construction of the head. After reading and re-reading  his comment I am unsure which exact parts he says are glued to together. Twenty five years ago I was using another brand of head made by company whose named starts with J and had two of their heads (the second one was a replacement for the first) fail when the main body of the head separated from the panning base.

For those of you have been suggesting a lighter weight head, thanks for those recommendations but I need something heavier because of the way I sometimes mount my camera.

In general my experience is that Really Right Stuff makes excellent equipment but it is good to hear from other people who have long time field experience with this particular piece of equipment.

Fro those who suggest Markins and desmond products: I won't buy them as the people behind those companies apparently have no scruples when it comes to intellectual property rights  (Desmond copying the BH-55 and Markins (and others) ripping off Arca-Swiss.

So for now I am looking for an Arca-Swiss Z2 with a removable clamp or B2, also with a removable clamp. 

Miles

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 09:36:11 am »

Ellis, I find it refreshing that you won't deal with companies that lack scruples.  I have owned a BH-55 for a few years now and can report that I am extremely satisfied with the quality for the price.  I can't speak as to whether the others may be smoother or to what degree, but I do sense I am using a reliable high quality product that meets my needs every time I attach a camera.  l also own their gimball set up for large lenses and have a relative who uses one of their tripods which I have examined very closely.  Without hesitation I would place their products among some of the best made for the price.

jrsforums

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 10:12:40 am »

General reply to comments:

I really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to comment on this, it has been very helpful in making up my mind not to purchase one at this time.  The two points which pushed me back from the edge  are:

- the repeated comments like this one from John: "The BH-55 is not smooth, but a bit gritty with so "stutter" points."

and Robert's comment about his head (which dates to 2010, which admittedly is a long time ago so things may have changed) about the construction of the head. After reading and re-reading  his comment I am unsure which exact parts he says are glued to together. Twenty five years ago I was using another brand of head made by company whose named starts with J and had two of their heads (the second one was a replacement for the first) fail when the main body of the head separated from the panning base.

For those of you have been suggesting a lighter weight head, thanks for those recommendations but I need something heavier because of the way I sometimes mount my camera.

In general my experience is that Really Right Stuff makes excellent equipment but it is good to hear from other people who have long time field experience with this particular piece of equipment.

Fro those who suggest Markins and desmond products: I won't buy them as the people behind those companies apparently have no scruples when it comes to intellectual property rights  (Desmond copying the BH-55 and Markins (and others) ripping off Arca-Swiss.

So for now I am looking for an Arca-Swiss Z2 with a removable clamp or B2, also with a removable clamp.

Ellis, you may want to contact Precision Camera to see if they can/will remove the OEM clamp.  I think I vaguely remember that they would do this in the past when A-S when to non-removable clamps.

John

http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/Pages/arca_core.html
John

jrsforums

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 10:23:32 am »

Ahhh....brain's not so foggy....

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=8831

"...After a call to the US-based Arca-Swiss Representative, I learned that Arca-Swiss is now designing their heads to feature "non-interchangeable" quick releases. They're using an epoxy/glue to solidify the assembly bolt in place. The only "official" way to replace your clamp (and keep your warranty intact) is to send it to Precision Camera Works in Chicago, IL, the only authorized service center for ARCA-SWISS ballheads in the United States. There is a flat fee of $30.00 for replacement...."
John

stevesanacore

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 11:00:26 am »

I'd suggest that you have not researched it over the years....in multiple forums.

Here's one:

"...In real use, I find the RRS BH-55 to slip/stick when making fine adjustments at a tight friction setting while the Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 Ball Head remains smooth..."

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Arca-Swiss-Monoball-Z1-Ballhead-Review.aspx

Interesting and disappointed as I would think smoothness is critical for a ball head.
We don't know what we don't know.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up