Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to change the temp directory used by ACR? Solved  (Read 4829 times)

dreed

How to change the temp directory used by ACR? Solved
« on: July 03, 2016, 01:25:11 pm »

Is it possible to change something so that ACR doesn't attempt to write into C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Temp?

I've got lots of free space elsewhere but for some reason, I can't find a way to get ACR to use that space for merging panoramas :(
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 12:44:25 pm by dreed »

scyth

Re: How to change the temp directory used by ACR?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 01:49:51 pm »

Is it possible to change something so that ACR doesn't attempt to write into C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Temp?

I've got lots of free space elsewhere but for some reason, I can't find a way to get ACR to use that space for merging panoramas :(

do you mean "Open preferences dialog (Contol-K)" in ACR -> "Camera Raw Cache" ? if this is not what is being used in this case then you can always use 'mklink' in Windows to point the folder to a different drive

dreed

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 10:19:04 pm »

The easiest way to change where ACR puts temporary files is to edit the environment variables and change TEMP & TMP to point somewhere else.

By default these are both %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp

For example, if I do this:

C:\> SET TEMP=Z:\TMP
C:\> SET TMP=Z:\TMP
C:\> MKDIR Z:\TMP
C:\> "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CC\bridge.exe"

Then ACR will get run and put the temporary files it creates in Z:\TMP rather than on the C:\ drive.

While I can put all of the above in a BAT file to launch Adobe Bridge with, it would be nice to be able to set this inside the application so that when it gets launched from a menu, "it just works." I suspect that the same also holds true for LR.

The next goal is to try using a shortcut with something like this:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c 'set TMP=Z:\TMP && SET TEMP=Z:\TMP;"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CC" && start bridge.exe'
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 10:24:31 pm by dreed »

scyth

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 12:51:43 am »

The easiest way to change where ACR puts temporary files is to edit the environment variables and change TEMP & TMP to point somewhere else.

By default these are both %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp

For example, if I do this:

C:\> SET TEMP=Z:\TMP
C:\> SET TMP=Z:\TMP
C:\> MKDIR Z:\TMP
C:\> "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CC\bridge.exe"

Then ACR will get run and put the temporary files it creates in Z:\TMP rather than on the C:\ drive.

While I can put all of the above in a BAT file to launch Adobe Bridge with, it would be nice to be able to set this inside the application so that when it gets launched from a menu, "it just works." I suspect that the same also holds true for LR.

The next goal is to try using a shortcut with something like this:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c 'set TMP=Z:\TMP && SET TEMP=Z:\TMP;"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CC" && start bridge.exe'

you can just set this permanently through control panel -> system -> advanced system settings -> environament variables

I have those set to my RAM disk ( using ImDisk from http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/#ImDisk )

dreed

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 07:41:26 am »

you can just set this permanently through control panel -> system -> advanced system settings -> environament variables

I have those set to my RAM disk ( using ImDisk from http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/#ImDisk )

Yes, I'm aware of that but maybe I don't want every application to use Z:\TMP for temporary files, only LR and ACR.

dreed

Re: How to change the temp directory used by ACR? Answer within.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 12:44:12 pm »

At the cost of losing the nice and pretty "Br" logo in my menus, ACR from Bridge now starts up with its on TEMP directory.

This is the "Target" of my Bridge icon in my Windows menus:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /S /c "SET TEMP=Z:\TEMP; SET TMP=Z:\TEMP; cd "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CC (64 Bit)" && start Bridge.exe"

Where is "Target"? Right click on a Windows icon in a menu, click properties and you'll find it there.

For Lightroom CC, I'm now using this:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /S /c "SET TEMP=Z:\TEMP; SET TMP=Z:\TEMP; cd "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom" && start lightroom.exe"
Pages: [1]   Go Up